Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats what my dealership is charging for the 600 mile service..The do, oil, filter, and then go over the bike from axel to axel, torquing every bolt and adjusting every adjustable part along the way.. They SAY they do throttle adjustment, lever adjustment, and a few other things.. They can do it tomorrow morning..

Should I do it or what?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Not for $175 total or more!

Either shop around or do the work yourself and just keep all of the receipts. I just had mine done last week....cost me about $115 which I think is still too much.

·
Registered
68 Posts
it may void your warranty if you do not get it done. Check into it first before you decide to use someone else to do the work.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
If it doesnt void your warranty, then spend $30 on a Torque wrench and oil, and do it yourself.. Its not worth $60/ hour labor to have a monkey check to make sure bolts are tight.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just let the dealer do my 600 mile oil change and then this Thursday I am going to go through all the periodic maintenance myself. Screw paying all that money to have them check to make sure everything is tight.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eh, it voids the warranty.. and there are a few other things i wanted checked out.. so i just had them do. I'll prob get robbed, but its peace of mind.. all my proceeding services I'll do myself.

X

·
0 Posts
njssli22 said:
eh, it voids the warranty.
I'll bet the dealer told you that. Not true. They have to honor the warranty as long as the bike was maintained in accordance with their schedule no matter who did the work. Keep receipts showing the oil and filter. I also made a copy of the maintenance schedule and checked off each item done, the mileage and date.

If there are other things you want them to do, by all means have them take care of it. Just don't fall for their hype that their the only ones who can do the work.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Fast Glass said:
I'll bet the dealer told you that. Not true. They have to honor the warranty as long as the bike was maintained in accordance with their schedule no matter who did the work. Keep receipts showing the oil and filter. I also made a copy of the maintenance schedule and checked off each item done, the mileage and date.

If there are other things you want them to do, by all means have them take care of it. Just don't fall for their hype that their the only ones who can do the work.
This is the truth, and applies to all manufacturers. You are not held hostage by the dealer to get your service done there. You can get it done where ever you choose, or do it yourself, provided you can prove it was done (receipts).

I have several friends who work at dealers and they say 80+% of the time, they just do an oil change, they don't even check bolts etc or anything else unless it is clearly out of line (noticeable by sight).

Most service is a total scam. Spend the money you were going to give the dealer on tools, and before you know it, you're saving money every service. Most work is simple, and you can find a damn good how-to online.

The only thing I have the dealer do is change my tires. I pay $40 bucks and it's worth the convenience considering I need them to mount the tire anyhow.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Punkwood2k said:
If it doesnt void your warranty, then spend $30 on a Torque wrench and oil, and do it yourself.. Its not worth $60/ hour labor to have a monkey check to make sure bolts are tight.
Was checking Lowes for torque wrenches the other week they dont have them (maybe in your area they do) Went to Home Depot and they had them for about 75 or so. You can always get one of those cheaper torque wrenches with the pointing needle, but not not be as accurate. Bottom line is if you are going to spend 200 dollars at the dealer, you may as well get some tools and a shop manual, in the end you will have the knowledge and the tools.

·
Registered
418 Posts
njssli22 said:
Thats what my dealership is charging for the 600 mile service..The do, oil, filter, and then go over the bike from axel to axel, torquing every bolt and adjusting every adjustable part along the way.. They SAY they do throttle adjustment, lever adjustment, and a few other things.. They can do it tomorrow morning..

Should I do it or what?
Damn.... a little over $200 for a 600 mile service?? Is it that bad in New York is it just the shop that you took it to? :bitchslap

The shop I had mine done at charged roughly $95 and I thought that was high. A friend of mine got quoted $160 at a different shop but ended up having it done where I had mine done for the same $95 fee.

Definitely shop around if you want the piece of mind of having it done at a shop but don't want to get :spank

·
Registered
791 Posts
wow. I thought you guys that bought new bikes just took your bikes in to the dealership and got it checked. To have to pay more $$$ simply because your bike is new is a total scam.

$200 bucks in tools is well worth it in the long run AND u get to flip off the Dealership thieves :flipa

I.E. $110+ tax to get my cars brake pads changed. $50 for everything, tools and parts and 1 hour later I was $60 richer. Now it takes half the time to do it.

Ever since i bought my last car and this bike i've bought my own tools and did my own work. I call a shop and say, how much to get this fixed. THey say $$$ then i buy tools for only $ and get the work done myself. I personally just bought tools on a "ok i need this now" basis. I didnt buy the $150 socket kit at sears.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I was quoted $207 plus parts....oil filter etc. for the 3000 mile service, that was with a valve job though. If you think about it they arent ripping you off. They charge somewhere around 50 and hour for labor and then parts. If you pull the plastics off my bike and do a valve job thats about 3hrs. I still think its a good idea to learn to do it yourself. But, if you can't then add up the hours it takes X the shop hourly rate... it usually is correct. Automotive shops are worse they charge $70+ an hour shop labor.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
It is a lie that you ever need to bring the bike to the dealer for service to maintain the warranty. I would recommend getting familiar with the bike, and service it yourself. A service manual costs about $10 on cd and tools can be acquired over time. A beam type torque wrench is much cheaper than the prices quoted, and a click type can be obtained on ebay for much cheaper too. Bike maintenance and upgrading is part of the fun for me.

·
Old enough to be your dad
99 Posts
I just have 3 words of advice. BUY A MANUAL. it will tell you how to do all your own maintenace 99% of the time. If you have to buy tools, you'll still be way ahead in the long run. You can do your own work forever. If you cant affford the tools (cant see how that might be if you can afford dealer costs,,) then ask around and someone will loan you tools, or more than likely offer to help you. I have people over to my house all the time to do work on their bikes, cars, etc. Gives us a chance to shoot the shit, drink some beers, have a BBQ, and do some work. I just did a valve job on my bike, and I had NO idea what I was doing. I went over to someone else splace who had done it many times on many bikes. He walked me through it, gave me some pointers, had a nifty lil tool I did not have (at the time of course, got one now). Someone somewhere alonng the way had shown him, and now he has shown me, along with several other guys. I now change my own tires in my garage with a changer from Northern tool, a few spoons, and a balancer I bought off Ebay. Maybe its just me, but I LOVE working on muy bike and doing my own work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts