Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone swapped front sprocket for a 15 tooth yet? I will hopefully have mine changed tomorrow

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Let us know how you make out. I was thinking about a change like that but wasn't sure enough to go thru with it. What will that do exactly? Increase torque but reduce HP? Or vice versa?

·
Registered
135 Posts
i changed mine last weekend very easy. the chain adjustment was a little different then im used to but i got it done, took about 30 minutes. still mixed feelings about the results....

noticably less clutch needed off a complete stop and a little quicker. however the new gearing seems to put the 5k-6k buzz in just the wrong spot for around town 2nd gear.
overall i think ill keep it for a while.
i think the change is only about 6% or so... probably shouldnt expect too much.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
nimms said:
stock front is 16 teeth.
More HP & less torque.....right? In theory anyway.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Downsizing your front sprocket will give you more torque with a lower top speed, the same happens when you upsize your rear sprocket. For simplicitys sake, take a 16T front with a 48T rear, this yields a 3:1 ratio, your front sprocket will turn 3 revolutions for every 1 revolution of the rear sprocket. At 12000 RPM, your rear wheel RPM would be 4000. If you change that 16 to a 15, you've got a 3.2:1 ratio. That same 12000 RPM at the front sprocket will give you 3750 RPM at the rear sprocket. I don't think it affects HP at all, other than moving the power band a little up or down, depending how you change the gears. Also, changing the size of the front sprocket has a more signifcant bearing on the change to the vehicles performance than changing the size of the rear (drastic changes aside).

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
They only way youll get more HP is to get one of those GYT-R stickers worth 15 HP!!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Dexter_643 said:
Downsizing your front ......
Thanks for the explaination.

·
POP
490 Posts
kdk1899 said:
They only way youll get more HP is to get one of those GYT-R stickers worth 15 HP!!
:lol Or you could add a wing to the back of your bike like some I've seen on honda civics, That's guaranteed another 15 HP!!! :lol :lol

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
by going down your not gaining hp. you lose top speed and will torque that is all this will change

·
Registered
15 Posts
ukdej79 said:
:lol Or you could add a wing to the back of your bike like some I've seen on honda civics, That's guaranteed another 15 HP!!! :lol :lol

hahahaha or paint your car with that "primer" look i see on the ford focus,neons, civics, talons, etc. I bet thats good for 5 HP. lol lol :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in theory I will lose top speed but gain torque at a lower RPM, so hopefully I will have more torque below 4000, which is what I want as I find I do most of my riding below 7000. I figure I will end up with the torque more in my riding range and end up expanding my riding rane by forcing myself to ride in a bit higher RPM range say 8000 for my higher speeds.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cavi said:
in theory I will lose top speed but gain torque at a lower RPM, so hopefully I will have more torque below 4000, which is what I want as I find I do most of my riding below 7000. I figure I will end up with the torque more in my riding range and end up expanding my riding rane by forcing myself to ride in a bit higher RPM range say 8000 for my higher speeds.

Should also pop wheelies a little easier, go on, admit it, that's why your changing the sprocket :flamed

Skippy

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
ajc1884 said:
hahahaha or paint your car with that "primer" look i see on the ford focus,neons, civics, talons, etc. I bet thats good for 5 HP. lol lol :)
I put Rain-X on my windshield so I am guessing a .001% increase in HP atleast for a week or two.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hope you got in on that speedohealer buy. :)

I'd pondered switching sprockets, but i don't want to move my interstate cruising speed out of the smoothest part of the rpm range (6000rpm).

Oh, and if you've got a PowerCommander, you're losing at least 5hp by not putting that Dynojet sticker somewhere on the bike...

Anthony

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I lost the 5hp as I did not put the dynojet sticker that came with my power commander, and yes I did order the speedohealer.
i just got back from riding the bike with the 15 tooth sprocket and I love it, I really do not feel any negatives, keep in mind I did not hit the freeway yet but in town it is much better, feels like it should from day one, hit the throttle and the power is there, no more waiting until 4000.
Truthfully the difference is noticable to those of us who own the bike, I felt no ill effect on the clutch or takeoffs as someone had mentioned, I did feel that even if I was in the wrong gear I could get out of trouble. One of my main complaints had been that a time or two I would be pulling up to a red light and by then I was low on the RPM range and still in 2nd and suddenly the light would open, I would hit the throttle and it would not want to go, I would have to take that extra second to drop into 1st, then I would also be really too fast for 1st, all in all it was a pain in the rump. Not any more.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also I forgot, the factory sprocket has some sort of rubbr dampner and the new one does not, the Yamaha dealer said it might make shifting more notchey. I found it to be the opposite, the shifting was smoother, then again ,I might be getting more used to the bike but I think it has more to do with the sprocket

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
ZeuSeason said:
I put Rain-X on my windshield so I am guessing a .001% increase in HP atleast for a week or two.

Slippery=more areodynamic. More speed!!! especially if its silver!!!

:spank :alky :headbang

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cavi said:
... One of my main complaints had been that a time or two I would be pulling up to a red light and by then I was low on the RPM range and still in 2nd and suddenly the light would open, I would hit the throttle and it would not want to go...

Thats what the clutch is for :) ... feather it 'til you get the R's back up.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts