Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Blackmail Victim Revenge
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a cigarette lighter type socket to put on my bike so I can power a radar detector and or plug in a battery charger. Where have you located yours? Do you wire to the battery or to the fuse box? I'm not sure if I want it to just hang or if I should panel mount it. Also I'm considering installing a gorilla alarm system. Where is the best place for that, do you think?
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thats a good question. I have a 96 gsf 600 n I have a dash like thing behind my wind screen. If ya find out how ta hook it up.

J.Patterson

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have both I put the alarm in the rear tail, and I have a battery Tender Jr with the pigtail hooked to the battery so I can plug in what ever I want went to the auto part store bought a aux/cig plug with matching pigtail for $4.00 dollars.

·
Registered
306 Posts
always put a inline fuse on any power wires. I installed a poweroutlet on the inside of my right upper fairing. its using the mirror bolt and fairing stay to hold it nice and inplace.
look on the upper right corner of the pic. you can see a silver sticker... thats the weather proof door on the outlet face.

HPIM0067 by BadAssRX-7, on Flickr
i have a i500 alarm its supper small and is on the outside of the tailsection fraim covered up with the tailsection plastic

·
Registered
300 Posts
Put it on a circuit that is switched on with the bike. That way rain water won't destroy the socket. Something like the headlight circuit, so if you can still start the bike if it pops the fuse.

·
5,547 Posts
Put it on a circuit that is switched on with the bike. That way rain water won't destroy the socket. Something like the headlight circuit, so if you can still start the bike if it pops the fuse.

Go to Walmart and buy a marine grade 12v plug with a spring loaded flap door for less than $10. I used the extra cord that came with my Battery Tender. Cut the aligator cilps off. Put eyelet fittings on the ends. Wired it directly to the battery terminals with a inline fuse. Ran all three of my power sources directly from the battery along the right hand side of the bike using the clutch cable as a guide with those little 3 inch black zip ties every 3 or 4 inches or so. I said three power sources, radar detector, GPS, 12v plug in. When I connected the 12v plug to the wires from the battery I slid a large diameter 3M shrink wrap over one end of the wire. Then two smaller 1 inch pieces over each wire before soldering the wires together. Then slide the 3M shrink wrap over each connection and use a heat gun or a lighter to shrink the wrap. Then slide the larger diameter 3M shrink wrap over both connections and heat up. This with seal the connections off from the elements. No just twisting wires together and using electrical tape. Do the job right and it will last. I did this years ago and have never had any issues. Just my 2 cents.

Here are three pics, two of the marine grade 12v plug with a bracket I made. The 12v power plug use to be attached to the right side RAM air cover, but when I upgraded my RAM air covers to real carbon fiber ones over the winter I wasn't drilling holes into my new expensive carbon fiber so I made a bracket and relocated the 12v plug.

The third pic is one of my Gorilla alarm installed under the passenger seat. The alarm has a shock sensor and a mercury switch.

Attachments

Reactions: dannyjm

·
Registered
306 Posts
yea like rocket i have mine wired to the battery with inline fuse. and mines also made to be out in the weather.

·
Blackmail Victim Revenge
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered a Scorpio i800 alarm that promises to be awesome. The optional perimeter sensor makes the turn signals flash and alarm chirps if someone gets too close. Plus no need to arm disarm because it happens automatically when you carry the rfid fob. It has the usual alarm tr*****/accelerometer too. My 12V socket I put a direct line to the battery with an inline fuse and the socket is mounted near the lower end of the clutch cable on the right side of the bike. The alarm comes with an optional (pay more separately for) a model specific wiring harness that promises to make installation simple and quick.

·
5,547 Posts
Pics finally loaded. Here is where the 12V plug use to be mounted before the RAM air covers were replaced with Carbon Fiber RAM air covers.

Attachments

·
Formerly 216cityboy
37 Posts
I received a Gorilla alarm for christmas. I didn't wanna lose all my under seat space so I stuffed it on the right side of the tail fairing.

It's in the upper right corner near the tool kit.

You can just make out the Gorillas face. I wanted it out of plain sight.

My 12V socket is fastened behind the front brake reservoir so it can easily reach my phone while it's in the RAM mount. Pretty handy for Navigation.

The black rectangular piece is basically a plate with fingers around it that will hold whatever you need. Checkout RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts