Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to the site and sport bikes in general and had a question. I just got a 125cc Dirt bike that I ride frequently. Now I will have over a year of experience on this by the time I am legally able to get a license (I'm 17 and my parents want me to have nothing to do with sport bikes). So my question is would this be enough to be able to step up to a 600 like a ZX-6R? Or should I get a 250 or 500 sport bike to learn on? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Start small... read the archives for new riders...

deleted because it didn't answer your question...

Honestly, no, going from a 125cc dirt bike to a 600SS is not a good move. You may have the basics down of shifting, braking, and keeping the bike upright, but dirt is not the street...

Cars, trucks, suv's move... trees don't. the biggest thing new riders don't realize is how fast things happen on 600 supersports... Add throttle at the wrong time and it may throw you clear off the bike...

Get a used 250-500... get a bike with no fairings... less to damage when it's dropped...

Ride that for a year, then upgrade...

Insurance may be too much to afford... especially if you're paying on a new bike... insurance on naked bikes is lower...

Get full gear, always wear it... ride safe.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
dude, he isn't serious. he is just saying what 99% of noobs want to hear. now if you want to hear the truth...stayed tuned, it is on the way...

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
silent_R1 said:
dude, he isn't serious. he is just saying what 99% of noobs want to hear. now if you want to hear the truth...stayed tuned, it is on the way...
Agree 100%

OrangeZX-6R said:
Hi,
I'm new to the site and sport bikes in general and had a question. I just got a 125cc Dirt bike that I ride frequently. Now I will have over a year of experience on this by the time I am legally able to get a license.
Just got it and you are already going to have had a year of experience on it???

Well that doesn't make sense, but its OK, it doesn't matter if you've had a dirtbike or not, it may teach you the most basic lessons needed to ride a bike, but not any of the survival skills needed on the street.

Get a newbie friendly bike, whatever your budget allows you to get. A newbie friendly bike will help you learn and teach you TONS of LIFE SAVING lessons.

Now please don't come with the "I'm responsible and very good driver" story, nothing can save you from your own stupidty if you decide to be stupid, but skill is needed not to be killed out there by the thousand of things that can, and will, go wrong, and those things are what the newbie bike will teach you and help you to manage and survive.

By the way, why spend $8000 on a bike if you have 0 street riding experience? You don't even know if you are going to like it at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
Agree 100%

Just got it and you are already going to have had a year of experience on it???
I think he was saying that by the time he's able to get a bike, he'll have over a year's worth of experience. He said he's 17 now and parents won't let him have one. So he has a year to wait.

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
scorpion12 said:
Start small... read the archives for new riders...

deleted because it didn't answer your question...

Honestly, no, going from a 125cc dirt bike to a 600SS is not a good move. You may have the basics down of shifting, braking, and keeping the bike upright, but dirt is not the street...

Cars, trucks, suv's move... trees don't. the biggest thing new riders don't realize is how fast things happen on 600 supersports... Add throttle at the wrong time and it may throw you clear off the bike...

Get a used 250-500... get a bike with no fairings... less to damage when it's dropped...

Ride that for a year, then upgrade...

Insurance may be too much to afford... especially if you're paying on a new bike... insurance on naked bikes is lower...

Get full gear, always wear it... ride safe.
a well put response

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all of your responses you answered my question completely. And believe me I am in no hurry to go out and buy a bike I wont be able to handle becuz sunday night I was on my way home from a Chicago Fire game and saw this guy go flying by us on the interstate on what looked to be a GSX-R1000 with nothing in the way of protection except for glasses and about 20 miles on down the road he was bieng loaded into an ambulance and I want to make sure that that doesnt happen to me. Once again thank you for all your responses.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I went from a 250cc dirtbike to an r6. 4000kms so far and I've had one close call and that was a dog in the middle of the road at night. Other than that streetbiking has been a very easy transition from dirtbiking. Sure, I'm not that fast yet but I don't push very hard.

I was actually disappointed how fast things happen on a 600ss bike. I mean, once the tach gets past 9k then they start to move but if you keep the rpms low and short shift while you're learning then the bike is very mellow.

I'm very level headed and not very agressive at all however. I didn't feel the need to prove to myself or anyone else just how fast I was. I've been taking my time learning the bike slowly and I'm really comfortable on it now. I plan on doing my first track day in a few weeks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cole, you are definitely the exception, rather than the rule. While I'm glad that you survived, I'd still recommend starting cheap, used and not on a 600 super sport.

M.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts