Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
The reasons it says I don't is why I do .. I am lazy , I like lots of torque to help my lazy , I don't give a fuck about draggin my knee or riding to my limits at age 40 ..I have been on bikes since I was 9yo , I am all done with pushing my limits and the new machinery .. Let the kids on der 600 do that .. I will just catch up on the straight bit and enjoy a long wheelie now and then .
Sure they cost more to run .. But I am 40 and have worked hard all my life , so I can afford it . Same with my car , its not the base model , its the sporty bells and whistles version with the thirsty engine .. same reason .. I can so I will .

" to whom passing you becomes something of a trophy. Is there anything worse than being that guy at a track day on the fastest bike there, getting passed by some 16-year old on a 250?"

So what if some kid on a 250 cuts up me on the inside as I potter around a corner .. Really ? you think I give a rats ass ? You think thats gonna give me butt hurt? I am well past any sort of pride and emotional issues with that kinda thing .

"n the real world, on real tracks and real roads, cheaper, more exploitable, more manageable 600s are just as fast. I mean come on, your bike might be theoretically capable of 186 mph, but when’s the last time you took it over 120? A 600 will hit 170 mph and get there 95 percent as quickly. Outright lap times on the track are a hair’s width apart. So why bother?"

In the real world I am to lazy to be kicking up and down a gearbox all day ..Thats why I bother . And I took it over 120mph last time I was out on it .. and most likely next time too ..Cops are lazy here too , rely on cameras to do the work, .. Law says they gotta be bright yellow and sign posted .. chances of getting caught .. very very slim .

·
Registered
417 Posts
While I understand what Shift is saying, keep in mind this article is for the masses--and the masses really don't need a literbike.

The author brings up an interesting point: I think we've hit a ceiling with power-to-weight ratio. What's the point in making them any more powerful when the biggest selling point is that they also come with traction control to neuter that power? You can only accelerate so fast before you loop the bike--and you can only go so fast because they self-govern at 300kph.

HOWEVER... I hate when people contradict themselves. He starts off going on and on about how the literbikes are too fast to be practical, and way faster than anything else... then says 600s are just as fast on the street AND track. You just said two opposite things. So with a heavy heart I must declare this article complete and utter crap.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I hate when people contradict themselves. He starts off going on and on about how the literbikes are too fast to be practical, and way faster than anything else... then says 600s are just as fast on the street AND track. You just said two opposite things. So with a heavy heart I must declare this article complete and utter crap.
You need to

A.) Re-read the article
B.) Stop taking everything literally

and if you still feel that way

C.) Re-take reading comprehension at the community college.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I don't know. When I see a list telling me why I don't want to buy something I always expect facts for reasons. #6 had me laughing. As if John Law knows the difference between a 2014 :gsxr 600 and 2014 :gsxr 1000 and will let the 600 go, but ticket the 1000 ride that is SURELY 'up to no good' while obeying traffic laws and minding his own business.

Imagine how many tickets a guy on a ZX-14R gets! :eek:mg:bolt:eek::3eek

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I have the best of both worlds.

Fuck him. :D

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I saw this article the other day and was facepalming through most of it.

The one that REALLY annoyed me was #6. 95% of the general public, cops included, cant tell the difference between a 600cc sport bike and a 1000cc sportbike when they are sitting still in a parking lot, much less when they are riding past at any kind of speed. In fact the 2 Ducati's that the author seems to like using for so many of his examples use virtually identical bodywork. So please, tell me again how a literbike makes you more of a target?

Sorry charlie, but all sportbikes are targets, not just literbikes. Hell the last time I walked into a kawasaki dealer there was a Ninja 300 parked right next to the new 636 and I seriously had to scratch my head to figure out which was which. I ride, and kinda pay attention to models. If I'm mistaking beginner bikes for supersports.....so are the cops. I OWN a 1098 and without the stickers I honestly cant tell the difference between my bike and an 848. His argument doesn't even come close to holding water.

As for the rest, the guy sounds like a whiny bitch. A lot of those reasons for not owning a liter bike are exactly why a lot of people want them. He could have shortened up the list to just 3 things. 1. they are expensive 2. They are expensive to insure and 3. If you dont know what you're doing you're probably gonna crash it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
ya know what's messed up? For me is that my bike is cheaper to insure than a literbike or even a 750.

I'm fine with that.

guess that guy was totally right...

NOT!

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
They have four liters out now!? Holy shit! Power wheelies at 320 mph!
in-line four refers to the engine configuration, which has four cylinders in a straight line. Such engines gave birth to super bikes when riders realized they could get oodles of power by wringing them out. Many of the fastest race bikes still use this configuration.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The article should really be called why you don't want a sport bike. A lot of what he said isn't specific just to liters. Is the seating position on a 600 really any different?

I find myself in between. The liters I had, just had way more power than I could ever use on the street, so it felt like a waste to be paying so much for tires and gas if I wasn't using it. Conversely, I don't want to spend a whole day of touring buzzing around on a 600. I find my current 800 to be a great compromise, but it's not a sport bike. I wish there were more bikes in the 750-800 range.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Might as well change the title to "11 Reasons You Don't Want A Sportbike", since each of those points could be applied to a 600 or 1000.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts