Sport Bikes banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
There's a big difference between a supersport bike engine that gets 120 hp out of 600cc and a car or truck engine that gets 120 hp out of 2.5 liters. The motorcycle engine revs to 12 or 13K where the car engine only revs to 7K or so. That said, I know of at least one 600 that was on the track with 80K miles on it. I had a 600 that I put 50K miles on, in spite of defeating the rev limiter in a misguided attempt to wring a few more hp out of it. They last just fine. I think people tend to park them or wreck them.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I guess I've just rarely seen 600s with high miles that were still tip-top. Maybe that's the fault of the owners for umpteen different reasons. And yes, many do get wrecked. Everything has a breaking point tho, and nothing is designed forever. Would you argue a modern super sport engine should last as long as a modern car engine? Because I'd be quite impressed to see 200k miles on any original super sport motor.
Really? How about 500,000 miles? 2004 CBR600 F4i

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/530257-well-ol-f4i-has-made-once-again-rolled-over-300k.html

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Not mine, his name is Jared. He has had since new, and yes all miles are his. He does track days and street/adventure riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finally pulled the tr*****. 2013 ZX 636. 11k miles for $5600. Out the door with taxes and tags was just a touch over $6k. KBB is actually $6800 so the price made me wonder what the catch was. Minor blemishes. Few paint chips in the tank (which I assume are from some idiot’s long keychain or a zipper), the swing arm has carbon fiber cover-overs (which makes me think it’s hiding a few more scratches), and the stock pipe has some minor scuff (already ordered an M4 slip so I don’t care). Other than that it appears and sounds tip-top. It’s at a reputable dealer down in Florida. They got it from an auction. Flying down to pick it up next week.

Made sure to run the vin before purchase, and it came back clean with 5 complaints though, all of which were starting and stalling issues. After further investigation, I guess the 2013 636s had defective ECUs that Kawasaki had to replace on several bikes but never actually made a recall, which I don’t quite get. A google or youtube search for 2013 636 stalling and starting issues will land you countless complaints and vids.

Anyway, anyone that owns one I loved to hear your thoughts or any input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
You should also order a servo buddy; the exhaust valve is in the muffler and if you remove it the CEL will be on.
^Yep, I was a little annoyed it had to be purchased separately.

So far I'm overall pleased with the purchase. Had one little mishap after picking it up and riding it back from Sarasota to Ft Myers. Getting off the exit ramp the damn rear bolt that holds the foot-gear shifter worked itself off and the thing was dangling. I couldn't shift out of sixth. Had to literally get off the bike, hold the clutch with one hand, and shift the gear with the other hand. Got it into third and nursed it back in that gear. (Used bikes, smh) Threw in a new bolt and nut and voila. Threw on the M4 and had some fresh tread put on too. Everything else feels good. Already put 500 miles on it. Anyone who thinks a 600 might not be enough is outta their mind. Now if only Florida had some sweepers and about 90% less traffic. Love the smooth roads and scenery though.

Who from Florida knows some good rides?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts