Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get an undertail to clean up the look. As simple as they look I didnt want to do something ghetto. The more i thought about it the more I just couldn't justify spending so much on a pre cut piece of sheet metal so I gave in and made a trip to the hardware store. I spent $5 on the sheet, $2 on brackets, and $3 on paint.

I originally cut everything out with a dremel wheel and rode around with it like this for awhile. It actually didnt look bad as long as you didnt look under the bike :)

I took apart the rear of the bike and used a piece of cardboard to make the template. Once the template was made I just traced it onto the aluminum sheet and used a dremel wheel to cut it out.

Here is the first test fit. It was a bit big so I used a file to shim the sides down a bit.

Here it is with the brackets test fitted for the license plate and the blinkers. The trunk lip is big enough that you can screw it in place anywhere you want all along the side.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Everything mounted

So that I could still use my trunk and to cover the protruding screws and blinker wires I found a piece of plastic, cut it to shate and mounted it like so. Now I use my trunk.

Everything painted, mounted and wired up. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out all in all it looks pretty nice. One thing I dont have pictures of is I drilled two holes and put some grommets I found in my garage. This way the blinker wires can safely be run through the sheet metal without the wires getting worn through.

·
EET FUK
2,335 Posts
that looks really nice...i dont wanna lose my little trunk though but damn that looks good

·
Registered
505 Posts
Nice post... what's weird is I got the stuff yesterday (sheet of metal, some hard and thick cardboard and a few extra grommets/screws) and it's all laying in my garage waiting for a free day to make something out of it... looks great

a bit OT... did anyone mount the license plate onto the fender down by where the battery is? I wanted to either screw in some brackets down there or just screw the plate straight into the fender, waterproofing the holes of course

·
Registered
101 Posts
lecchilo said:
Nice post... what's weird is I got the stuff yesterday (sheet of metal, some hard and thick cardboard and a few extra grommets/screws) and it's all laying in my garage waiting for a free day to make something out of it... looks great

a bit OT... did anyone mount the license plate onto the fender down by where the battery is? I wanted to either screw in some brackets down there or just screw the plate straight into the fender, waterproofing the holes of course
You can do it but you're going to get pulled over for having a 'hidden' plate - and if you don't get pulled over for that if you get pulled over for something else either the cop will mention that you have to move it or throw in a ticket for it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Nassty said:
You can do it but you're going to get pulled over for having a 'hidden' plate - and if you don't get pulled over for that if you get pulled over for something else either the cop will mention that you have to move it or throw in a ticket for it.
I just want to push it back under the fender, not completely hide it... I've seen it on a bunch of bikes with undertails... maybe I'll just move it a bit under, so it's not hanging out with the end of the tail... looks a lot cleaner without the plate there imo

·
we the people ...right?
926 Posts
That's where I put my plate.

Ive sat in my wife's suv and my car, you can see the tag fine.
Now coming around the side is a different story as you can see.
When I raise it back to stock hight, it will be even more visible.

So far so good. Johnny Law has said nothing yet.
Ive got a bracket made to move it out if I need to.

I mounted one of those "wiper washer nozzles" that
has a white led in it up under the fender to shine on
the plate.

As far as Texas law goes, all I find is that its got to be
facing the back and have a light.
Thats:
(TRC §547.801 / LIGHTING EQUIPMENT / Sections 547.322(f) and (g)):lao
I wonder if that will work if I do get pulled over?

·
Registered
97 Posts
A friend of mine got pulled over twice for having his plate mounted like raized1199. He got a warning the first time and a ticket the second. He is going to court to try to contest it though.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Good job! That looks great, too bad you live in Germany. It would be scared to take a dremel to my bike like that though. I like those turn signals also.

·
Registered
505 Posts
adamp961 said:
Yours looks like it's a completely perfect fit... is it in fact like that?

If it is, would you mind taking exact measurements of the thing and sending them to me? I know a couple people who could possible cut out those pieces for free and a lot of them, if they had a template... that's why I want to make sure it would fit perfectly...

I don't want to make any money from this, but if it's possible, I would like to make drawings of it and give it to the guy I know, and if people are interested I can just send them out, considering shipping costs are covered... just to make things easier for all the other zzr owners, because it seems dumb in a way for all of us to form a cardboard template, cut, fit, cut, fit, etc...

just a thought...

1 - 20 of 96 Posts