Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So would 20-50 weight be better for summer? Or, would it be to thick and not flow fast enough? Mind you this is for summertime temps 45-100+
Bike is a 954. Manual says 10-40. Any info would be great.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
wonder boy said:
So would 20-50 weight be better for summer? Or, would it be to thick and not flow fast enough? Mind you this is for summertime temps 45-100+
Bike is a 954. Manual says 10-40. Any info would be great.
i would try to stick with the 10-40, those japs know what they are doing when they make those manuals. But you may want to wait for some answers from ppl who have tried 20-50.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
If your manual says 10W-40 over the temperature range you're expecting, use 10W-40. Someone may chime in saying that they've been using 20W-50 for 100 years with no ill effects, but so what?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thought hear is that the 20-50 wouldnt break down as fast, and offer better protection in the heat. Manual say you can use it but 10-40 is recommended. I think they "recommend" it because someone may try to THICK of oil when its cold ,and buy buy motor, hello law siut. Thats where I think they are comming from.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I just put some 20W-50 Full Synthetic in the Five-One. It's getting hot around here so I want the most protection from the heat. I commute with my bike so there is also a lot of stop and go traffic. No problems with starting it. I'll switch back to 10W-40 once the temperature starts to drop.

*edit*- It was 15W-50 Full Synthetic I fed the Five-One, not 20W-50.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
I use 15-50. In very hot climates you should use higher weight oil. Oil gets like water when the bike is constantly at 230+ degrees. 10-40 is good all around oil it will protect at cold temperatures and at high temperatures but I like the extra insurance of higher weight oil when it's hot. Just because the manual "recomends" 10-40 does not mean that your engine will go KABOOM! if you switch to 15-50 or 20-50.

·
IM A BAD ASS WITH A STICK
374 Posts
SMFCPACFP said:
pmoney said:
stick with what the manual says. it lists 10-40 for a reason.[/QUOTE

I agree - 100%. They could void your warranty with the wrong type of oil.
im not sure about them voiding your warranty but hey you never know these days.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
The internal engine temperature isn't going to vary much from 75* to 120* outside ambient. The bike will still come up to the same operating temperature regulated by the cooling system. If you are in traffic in 110* weather, the fan will come on as needed to keep the engine at the same 210* or whatever.

What is worse about the thicker oils is that they don't flow as well either cold or hot. Most people change their oil every 3000 miles or so anyway which doesn't give it a chance to break down.

·
IM A BAD ASS WITH A STICK
374 Posts
RayOSV said:
The internal engine temperature isn't going to vary much from 75* to 120* outside ambient. The bike will still come up to the same operating temperature regulated by the cooling system. If you are in traffic in 110* weather, the fan will come on as needed to keep the engine at the same 210* or whatever.

What is worse about the thicker oils is that they don't flow as well either cold or hot. Most people change their oil every 3000 miles or so anyway which doesn't give it a chance to break down.

+1 is all i got on that one

·
Registered
528 Posts
There is no reason for you to use a 20-50 oil in a 954. 20-50 is for V-twins. I use synthetic 10-30 in my bike because a) it's lighter so I get better mpg, b) the film strength of the syn 10-30 is still much better than the film strength of a conventional 10-40, c) it is SG, SH and SL rated so it won't void my warranty.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Bikerdude said:
There is no reason for you to use a 20-50 oil in a 954. 20-50 is for V-twins. snip....
My v-twin calls for 10W-40. :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
jiffy said:
In an oil article with tested oils they said 10w-30 was crap. They said 15w50 mobil 1 synthetic was the way to go in brands or shell Rotella. The guy said that every 10w-30 he looked at looked bad to him. I don't know what that meant but hes the scientist.

How many did he look at two? Why do you even make a post if you don't provide the data and the source? Yes, every 10-30 is crap. :rolleyes

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Using 10W-40, I think my owner's manual on my F4i says that you can use the other weight, esp. if you are in a warm climate year round. New England temps can range from -10F in January and 95F in July.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
RayOSV said:

In the morning when I ride to work, the temps are in the high 60's. My fan kicks in at 222 degrees. In the mornings my temp quickly goes down from 222 to 212 and the fan shuts off and then gradually goes back to 222 (heavy traffic). In the afternoon the ambient tems are in the high 80's low 90's and my temps are constantly 225-227 and sometimes 230, the fan is constantly on but the temps will not go down until I get over 40 mph or so. So yes, ambient temperature does affect engine cooling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts