Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1 piece Teknic Violator leather suit but returned it because I can't really afford it at this time and it was the wrong color. After having it for a week and wearing it around a few times, it made me wonder if a 1 piece suit is worth it. They do fit a little better than a comparable 2 piece but they sure are a pain. I found the suit hard to take on and off. Once it was on; however, it fit great and was very comfortable. I also felt like an idiot wearing it around like in a gas station or anything. At least with a 2 piece you can unzip the jacket and just have the pants on. That can also be nice if you're stopping somewhere for lunch. I know that most 2 pieces can only really be used a suit anyway though because the jacket doesnt usually fit right if the pants aren't attached.

What do you guys think? Is the added comfort of a 1 piece worth it over the convience of a 2 piece? I can't really see a 1 piece protecting you anymore than a 2 piece but I'm not sure on that.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Well, they may or may not protect you more, I'm pretty sure the zipper is an easier point of failure than the leather actually tearing. Whether or not this becomes an issue in your particular crash is a toss up. If you ride on the street it's hard to argue with the convenience of a two piece.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's sort of what I was thinking. Ride on the street more, get a 2 piece. Ride on the track more, get a 1 piece. I like the idea of a 1 piece better but since I can't afford to track that much, it really makes more sense for me to get a 2 piece.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I had a suit made a couple of years ago. Started out as a 1 piece ($100 cheaper). Based on thinking through the convenience factor (taking the jacket off at lunch, etc.) for a few days, I had it done as a 2 piece instead. The guy making the suit said that there is a slight chance that a slide could turn into a tumble with the flap of the jacket catching on something as you slide down the road. Other than that, in his opinion, a 2 piece is just as safe as a 1. He makes suits for many racers and I value his opinion. I've never worn the jacket without the pants and the suit is really comfortable. I really can't see the full zipper being a point of failure the way it's made. My $0.02.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I don't forsee my zipper coming apart either, but I'm just saying there's a better chance of that happening than leather on the waist actually tearing apart (on a one piece). If you saw Nakano's 200mph crash this year his front zipper came apart on his one piece.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
nig said:
I don't forsee my zipper coming apart either, but I'm just saying there's a better chance of that happening than leather on the waist actually tearing apart (on a one piece). If you saw Nakano's 200mph crash this year his front zipper came apart on his one piece.
The waist zipper is completely covered by about 2 inches of the end of the jacket.

Sliding from 200 mph would likely cause something to wear through. :2eek

I suppose if I were buying only for the track, then a 1 piece might be better.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I really don't see much of a difference getting a 2 pc or 1 pc suit. I just bought the teknic women's venom 2pc suit and I am 100% satisfied. Granted this is my first leather suit......I feel alot safer now on the bike! :)

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I say the two piece for the convience. You still can wear the two piece for the occ. track day anyway.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
RayOSV said:
The waist zipper is completely covered by about 2 inches of the end of the jacket.

Sliding from 200 mph would likely cause something to wear through. :2eek

I suppose if I were buying only for the track, then a 1 piece might be better.
I dont see many people wrecking at 200 MPH either. Especially if there only doing track days and not a AMA or MotoGP team.. and from the wrecks I've seen their suit managed just fine through the whole thing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good points. I do like the idea of a 1 piece suit mostly because of the race poser in me haha but I'll probably end up with a 2 piece.

What about speed humps? The Teknic suit that I used to have had quite a big speed hump on the back. I like the idea of having all that extra padding there incase I fall and the neck protection is good too but it limits wearing a backpack while riding.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
cole said:
Good points. I do like the idea of a 1 piece suit mostly because of the race poser in me haha but I'll probably end up with a 2 piece.

What about speed humps? The Teknic suit that I used to have had quite a big speed hump on the back. I like the idea of having all that extra padding there incase I fall and the neck protection is good too but it limits wearing a backpack while riding.
2 piece should be fine and more convenient.

The speed humps probably don't do anything below about 120 and certainly don't offer any additional protection once you're left the rubber-side-down configuration.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
yes they do actually.... there not meant for aerodynamics its for neck protection...

its to keep you head/neck aligned with your back when you hit the ground.... if the hump wasnt there the helmet would push your head/neck forward....

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ordie said:
yes they do actually.... there not meant for aerodynamics its for neck protection...

its to keep you head/neck aligned with your back when you hit the ground.... if the hump wasnt there the helmet would push your head/neck forward....
Yeah, you're right, they're not for aerodynamics. They're just called "aero-humps" by the companies that offer them because it sounds cool.

They do offer a bit of neck protection, but the issue is debatable and is regularly argued. I see the point, and most people do as well, but the material INSIDE the hump is relatively soft, and when you hit the ground from any sort of height, the weight of your body compresses the material and the "alignment" factor is nearly negated. Of course, not all leathers have the same material, so this is not applicable to all manufacturers. Also, the MotoGP guys use the aerodynamic attributes of the suits, as do faster racers.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Don't see how your head/helmet would stay aligned with the hump (hence the debate I guess). If it really does offer any protection, I stand corrected. Just seems like it would require everything to stay in place as you fell. If you're worried about a neck injury, a collar of some type might be better. That might limit head motion during riding too much though. Oh, well. :(

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Flatout,

Is there any complications when shipping across the border to Canada? A friend of mine ordered a jet kit once from the US and customs sent him a nice little $40 bill.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One more thing, do you carry any of last years models?

I bought a last years Teknic Violator for $699 canadian. On your site, the price is $799 american. I doubt you would be able to offer that much for savings correct?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts