Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys? It's been a while since I've posted or been on this forum.

Heres my situation, and its mostly rambling and insignificant, but im wondering if other people go through this also.

For most of the last decade, motorcycles were my #1 passion and the focus of most of my energy. The first bike I bought was an 03 gsxr600 (that I still own). I learned to ride on that bike (the hard way) When I wasn't riding it, I had to be around it, I had to make trips to the garage nightly just to remind myself how awesome it was. I would lurk on these forums to learn all that I could about it. I road tripped it. I loved it.

After a few years I discovered track days. Fell in love. except it kind of ruined street riding for me, and soon I was only riding the track on that beloved Gsxr, that by now had been crashed a couple of times. Eventually that got difficult and expensive so I gradually stopped riding altogether.

I tried a few things to get me back in the saddle, (including a Harley) and about a year and a half ago, I bought a brand new '11 Gsxr 750, hoping that it would get me back to my original state of motorcycle bliss. It did not.
Now, obviously the 750 was an amazing bike. I have a very difficult time finding a single flaw in it. Fast? hell yes. Cornering? umm yeah. Looks? beautiful. it was even comfortable (by sportbike standards). but for some reason, I didn't want to ride it. I didn't look forward to getting off work just for the ride home, like I used to. It was so good at everything it was boring. It never once scared me, or made me laugh out loud, our made me sit in the garage and just look at it. I didn't name it. (the only bike I've had that I didn't) The amount of miles I put on this bike was embarrassingly low. I traded it in yesterday.

What I got was a Ducati 1198s. I know that sounds a little cliché, and I don't buy into a lot of the hype/marketing that go with this particular brand just yet. What I do know, is that this is the absolute PERFECT bike for me right now. Fast? HAHAHA! Cornering? I'll let ya know when im brave enough to charge through it at its or even my abilities. Comfortable? Nope. Looks? I've seen a lot of pictures, they don't do it justice. The sexiest motorcycle I've ever seen. And OHMYGOODNESS the sound! I now have to sit in the garage and stare at it, while it idles! The first time I heard it start up, I literally laughed out loud. These are the emotions I want my bike to provoke. I want to love it, hate it, and laugh at it, all at once. This might be the one.

Heres the bike. complete with Full Termi exhaust.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Welcome back to the addiction. The seat looks like some form of capital punishment, but other than that it looks like a sweet ride, and a V-twin (or L-twin) sport bike is indeed a beautiful sound at an V/L angle.

Now go back to your garage at stare at it. Just don't wreck it on the track. That could get expensive...
It may be a little blasphemous, given that my bike is just some Ducati Monster wannabe, but I get the "Whoa." with the v-twin sound when started up for the first time and coming from an inline 4. I didn't think a bike could produce so much damned bass.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome back to the addiction. The seat looks like some form of capital punishment, but other than that it looks like a sweet ride, and a V-twin (or L-twin) sport bike is indeed a beautiful sound at an V/L angle.

Now go back to your garage at stare at it. Just don't wreck it on the track. That could get expensive...
It may be a little blasphemous, given that my bike is just some Ducati Monster wannabe, but I get the "Whoa." with the v-twin sound when started up for the first time and coming from an inline 4. I didn't think a bike could produce so much damned bass.
The seat feels like a piece of wood with mesh pulled over it.

Ducati dealer actually owns the trackday organization that I rode with (Trackaddix), and I may have committed to at least 1 track day with this beast, but i'll ride it like a little girl and will certainly get better lap times and have more fun on my 600 in that environment.

Ducati isn't a religion (therefore no blasphemy possible), its a missionary. Spreading the good word (and sound) on twin engine motorcycles and all m/c's in general. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Nice friggin bike! Wish I could buy a italian superbike, but I would probably just end up tossing it down the road like I inevitably do to all my bikes ;) Rubber side up

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Very nice! Looks extremely uncomfortable and probably very worth it. It's nice to see a non typical Ducati red every now and then.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I wouldnt change my seat ever. You will get used to it.

It will inspire confidence once you get the suspension dialed in.

Rock and roll baby

1 - 11 of 11 Posts