Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Happy Pappy
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I have been keeping an eye out for the 07 OEM parts to start showing up online. The new swingarm in particular. Every day I search eBay to see if I can find some from some unlucky rider that had their 07 totaled but I haven't seen anything yet. Anyone know of an online vendor selling the 07 FZ6 OEM parts yet? Or know when they will be available?

I have been checking here:
http://www.motogrid.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/yamaha.aspx
and here:
http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
An 07 swingarm will be EXPENSIVE if you actually manage to find one online. I think it would probably be cheaper to hire a shop to put bracing on the stock one or fit an R1 swingarm on it than to actually buy an '07 one.

·
Banned
2,576 Posts
it's over $544 for the older style, but I don't see how it could be that much more money for the new style....the R1 swingarm is far more advanced and is only $529. My guess is that they'll be close enough in price, but will they dimensionally fit??? Thats the b***** question

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Magseal said:
it's over $544 for the older style, but I don't see how it could be that much more money for the new style....the R1 swingarm is far more advanced and is only $529. My guess is that they'll be close enough in price, but will they dimensionally fit??? Thats the b***** question
DJuanhouston fitted up an R1 swingarm to his. It took a LOT of work and modifications to get it to fit. Definitely NOT a bolt on mod.

·
Registered
169 Posts
1 idea would be to call a dealer and check if the frame has the same part no. for a 06 and 07. if they are the same you know it will bolt on.

·
Happy Pappy
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Magseal said:
I have an R1 swingarm in the garage that I decided not to use on the FZ6. I know it has been done, that's why I went ahead and got the swingarm :) But after comparing the R1 apple-grape-banana-crazy-hybrid-super-fruit to the FZ6s oranges I didn't feel comfortable with the insane (in my opinion) amount of modification that would have to be done in order to make it fit.

For example, the R1 swingarm is ~ 3/4" wider than the original FZ6 swingarm where the swingarm pivot bolt attaches it to the frame. That's a metric assload of shaving to get it to fit, in my opinion. You would also need to re-bore the swingarm in order to get the bearings to seat once you made it narrow enough to fit the FZ6 frame. Then you have the issue of addressing that the R1 swingarm was designed to be used with a shock + linkage instead of how our FZ6 shock mounts straight from the swingarm to the subframe. It didn't appear to even come CLOSE to lining up with where the shock mounts on the R1 vs the FZ6. Big, big, big, big differences everywhere I looked. I am all about adding shims to get R6 forks to fit, but in my opinion from seeing my bike torn apart with the FZ6 swingarm laying on top of the R1 swingarm I have, it would be impossible to get it to fit and meet anything close to what I would consider "safe". Of course, what I would call safe and someone else would consider safe are likely two different things :)

I know it has been done but I don't currently have the means to do the R1 swingarm to what I would consider "done right". Anyone that wants to give a try PM me though and I will sell you the R1 swingarm, rear shock and dog bones that I will never use :)

I'm down with waiting until you start seeing the 07 FZ6 swingarms on eBay if I need to. I'm sure eventually they will be available without dropping $500 when folks start crashing their shiny new FZ6s ;)

·
Happy Pappy
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
04Fizzer said:
DJuanhouston fitted up an R1 swingarm to his. It took a LOT of work and modifications to get it to fit. Definitely NOT a bolt on mod.
Aye, the the thread where the info was at made it sound like the modifications required were almost trivial. I'm here to say that it would be anything but trivial! There was a serious lack of specific information in the two threads I read about DJuanhouston's R1 swingarm mod. I had the thread bookmarked for a long time but when I seen just how radically different the swingarms where I deleted the shortcut. Might as well pick out whatever swingarm you think looks pretty and will allow undertail exhaust if you are looking to up-fit a liter bike's swingarm, as the R1 doesn't make life any easier just because it is a Yamaha! :)

You can find it if you are into digging through hundreds of swingarm posts, but I think you will be disappointed if you are looking for details on just exactly how to do it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yep, i got myself an R1 swingarm and found the same thing as you steelbilly! putting the fz6 swingarm on top of the R1 showed up big differences! it is possible and i do hope to get it done at some point when i have the cash but it probably would have been easier to fit a triumph speed triple single sider than an R1 item............now that would look good! hmmmmmm.......

as far as the new fz6 swinger goes, i dont think it looks "better enough" to warrant shelling out for.........

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
vaanen said:
Yep, i got myself an R1 swingarm and found the same thing as you steelbilly! putting the fz6 swingarm on top of the R1 showed up big differences! it is possible and i do hope to get it done at some point when i have the cash but it probably would have been easier to fit a triumph speed triple single sider than an R1 item............now that would look good! hmmmmmm.......
Back in 04, there was someone who provided a link to a company in France or Belgium who sold a modified Ducati Single sided swingarm for the FZ6. The only downside was that you also had to buy the rim to match it, making it a somewhat expensive adventure. The upside? Chain adjustments are a breeze on that swingarm.

·
6th Gear Whore
314 Posts
RED07PA said:
1 idea would be to call a dealer and check if the frame has the same part no. for a 06 and 07. if they are the same you know it will bolt on.
not only the frame, but everything else that attaches to the swing arm, like all the chain adjustments and what not.

you would be better off either finding a local wrecked 07, or buying an 07 and swapping all the other stuff over and selling your old bike, plus you would have a new warranty and what not, along with the new stuff (brakes, swingarm, etc) for a cheap price

·
Justa Keep on Keepin' on
69 Posts
Check on www.gdlcycles.com ,they don't have any '07,s yet, but the '04,s only $179.00

·
Registered
691 Posts
I dont like those Metamachex ones, i think the whole reason i want the R1 swingarm is cuz after painting it the same colour as the frame it would really flow better with the style of the frame. The stock one just doesn't fit with the flowing lines, it's too boxxy. The metamachex one looks trick but doesn't go either.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Eviloliv3 said:
not only the frame, but everything else that attaches to the swing arm, like all the chain adjustments and what not.

you would be better off either finding a local wrecked 07, or buying an 07 and swapping all the other stuff over and selling your old bike, plus you would have a new warranty and what not, along with the new stuff (brakes, swingarm, etc) for a cheap price
the only problem is going to be able to find any used 07 parts since they are brand new.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You can get the 07 swingarm at Yamaha-partsdirect.com for 437.10

·
Miles from there
332 Posts
I just had an 07 swingarm on e-bay, did not even make it to the reserve price of 75.00. If I cant sell, I will be doing the mod soon...

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Luckily I not only got a complete prisitine swingarm with rear axle and chain adjustment pieces for $89 shipped but I also recovered the money by selling my stock one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts