Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode my bike to work today, was doing just fine. No power issues, nothing. Stopped at the gas station that was a couple blocks away and when I came out the bike would crank but would run for about a second and then die. Tried to go down a hill and kick it into gear. It would run and sputter and if I tried to give it gas it would do nothing. Had to go into work so I let it sit outside for a bit.

Came back during my lunch and tried to start it and it won't even turn over at all now. Checked the oil, a little bit low but still in the window.

No idea, what to do, this is my first Kawi.

·
Registered
380 Posts
bad gas ?
since it ran before you got gas

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
if you jump the bike (use jumper cables to connect the bike battery to a car battery, without the car running) does the bike crank and run fine?

if yes, check your battery and charging system.

if no, what does happen?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, definitely no longer even cranks even when hooked up to the car battery. Thought i might be that. Have tried to run it and pop the clutch.

It just sits and tries to turn over but never makes it now. Fuel pump? Fuel pump primes.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
do you hear the *click* of the starter solenoid firing?
do you hear the starter motor trying to crank the engine over?

both, or neither?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you hear the *click* of the starter solenoid firing?
do you hear the starter motor trying to crank the engine over?

both, or neither?
I believe so, it tries to start it. It definitely tries to crank, just doesn't turn over.

·
Spiffy...
2,345 Posts
Have you replaced the exhaust system recently? I ask because of two things.

1. The last thing you changed is most likely a culprit.
2. I knew a guy that changed his exhaust and had a leak. Overheated the computer on his ZX-6 and it shut down until it cooled. Read that as a very long fucking night riding 5 minutes at a time 25 miles to his house waiting for 15 minutes every time it shut down.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
make sure your battery is well charged, cause all of the attempted starts might have drained it a ways.

any how, since you say the starter motor is trying to crank, but is unable to, lets start looking at electrical connections.

are the connections to the battery terminals good, low resistance, and clean.

is the starter motor well grounded.

are the connections from the batteries positive terminal to the starter solenoid and from the starter solenoid to the starter motor good, low resistance, and clean.

is the starter solenoid low resistance.

(don't worry about your exhaust having killed your cpu just yet. 1 your bike doesn't start when cold, then die after running a ways as is common with black box failures. 2 the cpu is expensive, and you should always check cheap stuff first(like can i fix this with 5$ of steel wool and some dialectic grease.).)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
make sure your battery is well charged, cause all of the attempted starts might have drained it a ways.

any how, since you say the starter motor is trying to crank, but is unable to, lets start looking at electrical connections.

are the connections to the battery terminals good, low resistance, and clean.

is the starter motor well grounded.

are the connections from the batteries positive terminal to the starter solenoid and from the starter solenoid to the starter motor good, low resistance, and clean.

is the starter solenoid low resistance.

(don't worry about your exhaust having killed your cpu just yet. 1 your bike doesn't start when cold, then die after running a ways as is common with black box failures. 2 the cpu is expensive, and you should always check cheap stuff first(like can i fix this with 5$ of steel wool and some dialectic grease.).)
I'm fairly certain that it's nothing electrical, I mean I guess it could be but I had started it. Road half way to work, stopped and got a sandwich, road the rest of the way to work, stopped at a gas station, came out and it would turn over for a second, then it would die. Tried to run start it by popping the clutch, would turn over, tried to give it gas... it would hiccup and cough and never fully catch. Later that night i tried to crank it again, wouldn't turn over at all.

I'm replacing the lay down switch as soon as it arrives (tomorrow) as that's probably the cheapest thing in the fuel line. I'm fairly certain it's a fuel issue. The next guess would probably be the fuel pump given the symptoms. I can run it and it tries to start, just never gets anywhere. When I crank it and give it some throttle, you can SORT of hear it try, but barely.

Thinking it's a fuel issue.

And the tank of gas I gvae it I road a decent amount with, dobut it's bad gas.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
fuel problems will not stop your bike from cranking.

electrical problems can stop the fuel pump from getting enough juice to make fuel pressure, your CPU from firing the injectors, and your coils from firing the spark plugs.

get any electrical issues sorted before you start spending money on your fuel system.

and so long as your bike will not crank, you have an electrical issue.

get your bike so it cranks fine then move on to other issues.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
some quick tests to see what is wrong with your bike.

crank the engine, hook up a ignition light(or ground a spark plug against the engine), if you get a spark, then your ignition is firing.

remove the air filter. spray starting juice or carb cleaner down the intake. crank the engine. if the engine starts, yay you have a problem with your fuel system.

remove a spark plug. put a compression tester in. crank the engine. is the compression within spec? check a manual.

crank the engine. while the engine is cranking put your hand behind the exhaust, feel air puffing out? then you exhaust is working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I let it sit for 2 days and then tried again. This time when I turn the key I hear a slight click but it doesn't sound like the fuel pump primes at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally put some trouble shooting time in tonight since i had time. Checked the fuel pump voltage and getting good voltage to the pump. Fairly certain I hear nothing turn on in the tank though.

I put my ear to it, don't hear shit except the valves opening in the engine.

Looks like I'm replacing my fuel pump. Should I buy new or do you think an Ebay special should be fine?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts