Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am looking at purchasing an 06 Ninja 500 for $2500. Only has 2500 miles on it and the seller is firm on price. Original tires, chain, etc... everything. Only has a couple little scratches, and im talking the size of half a pen cap so its nothing super noticable. What do you all think?

This was my other thread on what bike to get etc...
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/498906-250-vs-600-a.html

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
the very low mileage would actually worry me. 4,000km in 8 years? that's a ton of sitting and not running.

I'd be giving it a very close look over, particularly anything that can rot, rust, or corrode.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
it still has its original tires, chain, ect...

take it to a shop, have them give it a once over. tell them to pay special attention to the engine/transmission.

you will probably have to do a bunch of maintenance that normally would happen at a lot higher mileage.

but if the shop clears it, and you get the maintenance done, go for it. if you get the bike have the shop set the bike up for you while you're there.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Good price. For comparison, my insurance company totaled my 2006 out for $3000 (I think, might have been 3500) with 16k on it. Bike is easy enough to work on, will likely need new tires and a fuel system/carb cleaning. As long as the chain doesn't have rust on it, should be good to go.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
it still has its original tires, chain, ect...

take it to a shop, have them give it a once over. tell them to pay special attention to the engine/transmission.

you will probably have to do a bunch of maintenance that normally would happen at a lot higher mileage.

but if the shop clears it, and you get the maintenance done, go for it. if you get the bike have the shop set the bike up for you while you're there.
this is the right answer. Man up and pay for a good inspection.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I will give my $.02

$2500 is a good price for low miles. I suggest you buy it. There aren't a lot of common problems with the EX500. Join EX-500.com Then remove the carbs and send them to member Ducatiman. There are 1000 threads on his carb service. It's truely top notch and comes at a bargain. You'll need 2 $15 rebuild kits, shipping to him and back, and the price he charges to clean, install rebuild kits, synch, etc. boils down to minimum wage. While you're waiting for him to do that, get the tires replaced and replace the fuel lines and air filter. The chain is probably fine, at least for now. The petcock is probably ok but you can rebuild it for pretty cheap if you want. After those small services, it'll be 100% good to go.

Reactions: PCHbreeze

·
Registered
729 Posts
When my 2006 was stolen last summer, insurance paid me a little less than that, and I had ~32,000 miles on the bike. So that's a decent price relative to mileage. The stock tires suck, and by now they're probably rotted or at least rock hard. You'll want a set of Pirelli Sport Demons (go a size larger in the rear), so if you feel you need to work the price down (it's a good price already) you might try to get a little off for old tires.

Has the seller said why the miles are so low? (BTW - be aware that it's trivial to disconnect the speedometer/odometer on these bikes. Just unscrew the cable at the front wheel hub. Not saying anyone did that, but....)

Having a shop check it out is a good idea. You'll probably want to replace the old brake fluid and the battery. Oil & filter change, of course. Lube the clutch and throttle cables. Might need to replace the fork oil. Check the fork seals, they're likely shot by now. If it's sat for a long time without running, the fuel may have gummed up the carb, the fuel filter, the fuel lines, and the petcock.

Between tires and the items I mentioned above, you may be putting a few hundred dollars into the bike. You might be able to negotiate a little on the price, but you'll end up with an excellent bike.

Ride it for a year and you'll be able to sell it for nearly what you paid, then get something else.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a heads up, I passed on the bike. Being in college I decided the money is better to be saved than spent. It took alot for me to pass the bike up, but it is what it is. Seller would not budge from $2500, so id be looking at 2500 for the bike, it needs inspected, new tires, $500 for all safety (helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, etc...) and insurance. It was super clean and I really wanted it but it just boiled down to me not wanting to spend the $$$$. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just a heads up, I passed on the bike. Being in college I decided the money is better to be saved than spent. It took alot for me to pass the bike up, but it is what it is. Seller would not budge from $2500, so id be looking at 2500 for the bike, it needs inspected, new tires, $500 for all safety (helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, etc...) and insurance. It was super clean and I really wanted it but it just boiled down to me not wanting to spend the $$$$. Thanks for the help guys.
A level-headed approach. I believe you'll do well in life. Time will tell.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You are showing maturity and sound judgement. Of course, that may doom you to a lifetime of sensible driving in Volvos if you let it go on too long.

Have you decided to put off a bike until after college, or are you just passing on this one to find something for less money?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are showing maturity and sound judgement. Of course, that may doom you to a lifetime of sensible driving in Volvos if you let it go on too long.

Have you decided to put off a bike until after college, or are you just passing on this one to find something for less money?
Just until I get out of school, definitely not for a lifetime. 2 more years wont kill me, the price just wasn't where I really wanted it and I just decided it would be better to hold on to the cash since you never know what can come up. Plus I really only work 3 months out of the year, so while I may make decent money through the summer, it has to last all year.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I was in much the same boat many years ago. Then graduation was followed by employment, graduate school, marriage, children, home buying, station wagons and vans, ....

Years slipped by and I was 44 when I finally bought a motorcycle.

Not that that's a bad thing.

Good luck with college, and take solace in my sig line.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Aw :( thats's a bummer. Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was in much the same boat many years ago. Then graduation was followed by employment, graduate school, marriage, children, home buying, station wagons and vans, ....

Years slipped by and I was 44 when I finally bought a motorcycle.

Not that that's a bad thing.

Good luck with college, and take solace in my sig line.
A bike will be my graduation present to myself for having to wait so long. No graduate school for me, don't want to do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts