Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Or the specs.. I've seen one pic with the undertail exhaust like the FZ6, but havent seen much on it.

Or will it look like the 04's

is this true?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That picture has been around for a while. It's just an 04 R6 photoshopped with an R1. I highly doubt that's an official picture.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm sure those things (brakes, forks, valves) Yamaha will change on the 05.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
OK, maybe this is just me, but it seems like if the keep remodeling the bike every 2 years they are never gonna work our all the bugs and make a truley solid/well-made bike. I'm not saying they are lacking in quality/performance, just that there are always slight jitters in the first couple years of a remodel, and it seems like at this rate they will never get those all worked out.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
I doubt that it will change that much..it was a few years before the 03 came out with the changes..

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
firefighter81 said:
OK, maybe this is just me, but it seems like if the keep remodeling the bike every 2 years they are never gonna work our all the bugs and make a truley solid/well-made bike. I'm not saying they are lacking in quality/performance, just that there are always slight jitters in the first couple years of a remodel, and it seems like at this rate they will never get those all worked out.
Yeah, this is true. But to stay on or near the top in the highly competitive SS market, they have to
keep updating the *designs*.

Not everyone can get by on looks (and performance) for as long as Ducati.
The Rachel Welch of sportbikes.

Edit - I should say Sophia Villani Scicolone (Sophia Loren) :leghump

·
Registered
987 Posts
firefighter81 said:
There are not that many things to work out well at least not for Yamaha. Not a slam aganst the others but this time they are playing catchup and had to release som not so polished bikes to keep in the running.. The last time there were any serious first year bugs in the yamahas was the R1 in 98 and possibily a few with the first R6 that I missed. They were probabily working on the 04 R1 before the 02 was done being designed.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Jap sport bike lifecycle -
First year - OMG! :eek:
Second year - BNG! :cool: (bold new graphics)
Third year - cosmetic updates and subtle refinements... :surprised which lead to...
First year - OMG! :eek: etc, etc...

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
yeah, the life of SS bikes is pretty short, i heard that the ninja 636's are already getting a new look. i don't get it, cars look the same for like 7 years before a model change. its all about the newest and coolest...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Almost every 600 has had some kind of refresh after 2 years- 99-00R6 changed in 01-02 with the new tail section and minor engine upgrades, 03-04 ZX636, and here's the new 05- http://www.2wf.com/articles/top_sto...B26BFEF37EC.asp which is completely different. It seems after 2000 the bikes need to be upgraded faster than before- remember how long the F3 was around? The GSXR 600 SRAD-97-2000, kawi zx6r 98-02 (mild body upgrade in 2000). So many people are buying these things when they are first released that the companies feel the need to continue changing them in any way they can.

·
Registered
88 Posts
the way i see "why they keep changing the bikes every 2 years", is like the old saying, "win on sunday, sell on monday". every manufacturer are out there to out do the competition and the best advertisement is winning races. seems like every year the performance bar gets raised for every race won. from an advertising standpoint, a noob that does research would most likely buy a bike that wins races than a bike that just looks good.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It's all marketing, especially to the "trendy" audience. Yes, win on Sunday sell on Monday is also true, but the stir caused by a redesign sells the bikes even faster. It seems with sportbikes, especially among the squidlier crowd, that many have to have the lastest and greatest. They haven't outridden their own bike, but don't have top "bragging" rights anymore. The bike manufacturers have recognized this and are playing it to a "T". They get it, and are giving the masses what is being requested. Look at the 1k crowd...New R1 in 02, New GSXR in 03, New R1 in 04, new GSXR in 05...it's not a coincidence.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is all true-with the introduction of a new bike comes a new craze. Everyone wants the newest thing. This year when I went into bike shops that carried every brand- the gixxers were the best selling bikes, while last year it was a toss up between the other three manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
RhythmsDJs said:
They get it, and are giving the masses what is being requested. Look at the 1k crowd...New R1 in 02, New GSXR in 03, New R1 in 04, new GSXR in 05...it's not a coincidence.
^^^You are dead on correct on this^^^

But it's the 600 class that pays their bills and butters their bread.
No other category is more cutthroat and up to the minute than the 600SS class.

Another new R6 for '05 already?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi my first post here, wanted to know if this pic i found on some russian site is in any way accurate as to what the new r6 will look like or if its just another photo-chop, cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
jk750 - very true, it's a VERY competitive market. I like that though, it keeps the manufacturers on their toes and constantly thinking/inventing. It can only mean b***** and better technology for us all to enjoy.

SVnoob - from everything that we've gathered, Yamaha hasn't released any photos yet. Everything we've seen has been a photochop. I would think this one is, too. It basically looks like the 03-04 model with a tacked on underseat exhaust. I would bet, if Yamaha is going to redo the bike, they'll at least give the bodywork an update.

·
Cheshire Cat
1,028 Posts
I'd say that that is a chopped 600RR exhaust on that chop. Also, is Yamaha going to have to go to the same multi-link style suspension that Honda put on the 600RR and the 1000RR to do a direct-route undertail exhaust? I know that this is already in place on the R1, but I haven't had a chance to take a look at them. If yes, then that pic is way off, since it is still using the standard rear suspension form the R6.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
I believe that photchop is using a Yamaha FZ6 exhaust judging by the heat shield.
The rear suspension would not have to change significantly to incorporate an undertail. Again, see FZ6.
The question I have is why? Why does every new bike have to have one?
Advantages? Well, besides being less prone to damage in a crash, are there any?
It puts the weight (and heat) up high and virtually eliminates underseat storage.
I suppose some models do look good with them...
Is it just because everybody else has one so I need one too?

·
Cheshire Cat
1,028 Posts
I'm guessing that aerodynamics more than anything else. I'm not sure how much drag there is from a traditional exhaust. But I'm thinking that the undertail does not eliminate nearly enough drag to justify itself and its high cost. People probably just thiunk itlooks cool. That, and stupid passengers will stop burning their legs.

The biggest plus for the manufacturers is that they capture a whole new product market by putting an undertail on - this separates the bike with the undertail from the previous bikes with the traditional exhaust. It magnifies the feeling that the bike is part of a "new generation" and thus more appealing to squids the world over.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts