Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admittedly, he's a little wheelie happy but after having the bike only a couple months, it's already falling apart. Last night after a wheelie the aluminum piece holding the guage pod/front cowling on snapped, leaving the whole thing hanging from the fairings. So, with his light pointing straight down, and his gauge pod facing forward, we took the bike back to the garage to figure out what happened. I didn't have my camera with me, so no pics, but the part that snapped was at least an inch and a half in the direction of the most strain.

Anyone else with an 05 gixxer having problems or is he special? Incidentally, he's had other rattle/loose bolt issues.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
maybe he sucks at wheelies...........therefore causing the bike to go bad earlier

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jim schmidt said:
Singly-focused for going fast, the quest for lightness has made this bike less durable during abuse. You'll see this in the durability of all sorts of parts, from pegs to hangers, etc.

It's not designed for stunting and (arguably) is not suited to the task.
That's true, it was just really surprising to me. Seemed like an unusually frail piece to have broken in such a short time.

·
Registered
966 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Singly-focused for going fast, the quest for lightness has made this bike less durable during abuse. You'll see this in the durability of all sorts of parts, from pegs to hangers, etc.

It's not designed for stunting and (arguably) is not suited to the task.
agreed, there not making bikes these days for durabilty from abuse. There making them as light as they can out of alot of cast peices, which is the weakest form of metal you can use. They use cast becuase its the cheapest of mass production. And like jim schmidt said before, the bike isnt designed for stunting the stunting crowd, its designed to race with both wheels on the ground, not dropped from 2 feet up. And the thing your talking about is called a fairing stay.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
anything can be broken if enough force is applied at one time or repeatedly.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Sounds like your friend needs a stripped-down naked hooligan bike for his stunting. Wonder how his fork seals are doing?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
F&D said:
Sounds like your friend needs a stripped-down naked hooligan bike for his stunting. Wonder how his fork seals are doing?
+1

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
Stunting = broken bike

Bikes are made to go fast on two wheels.... For instance my friend has a 636, he likes his wheelies, well his wheelies broke off both radiator mounts (where it mounts to the frame)

The stress put on that bike coming down from a wheelie, especially when you are just learning and aren not smooth is unbelievable.

Other things that break/wear early-- transmission, chain, sprockets, forks (leaking!), well and basically every other part of the bike!

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
At just over 350 pounds, my bike is lighter to go faster. I had one "stunter" buddy tell me he was trading out his for a Honda because they had a steal frame and therefore are more durable.

I wish i cold be all cool and stunt and stuff, but i prefer to keep my bike in one peice and haul ass.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
gixxer27519 said:
At just over 350 pounds, my bike is lighter to go faster. I had one "stunter" buddy tell me he was trading out his for a Honda because they had a steal frame and therefore are more durable.

I wish i cold be all cool and stunt and stuff, but i prefer to keep my bike in one peice and haul ass.
I don't think there has been a Honda sportbike with a "steal" or steel frame since the CBR1000 from the 90's. The Katana has a steel frame...and it's a Suzuki.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
freeky929 said:
I don't think there has been a Honda sportbike with a "steal" or steel frame since the CBR1000 from the 90's. The Katana has a steel frame...and it's a Suzuki.
the CBR600 f1 (hurricane), F2 and F3 had steel frames.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mines holding up great... no loose bolts, rattles or anything.... but then again I don't stunt it....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
F&D said:
He does. Unfortunately, I doubt he'll get one since he also likes real rides and track days, and doesn't have enough to afford a second bike.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Dont forget the FZR600 till its end had a steel frame as well. The still in production ninja 600 is a steel frame as well.

Your friend basicaly doesnt have the mental capacities to do the math on force.

Anyone that chooses to stunt would be much better off by modifying the bike to take that abuse. Its been said already that the bikes of today are purpose built and slamming wheelies down and stoppies down is not part of the design parameters for the Japanese.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I think the only modern sportbike that still uses a steel composite frames is Ducati, but I think there frame is chromoly....which does have some steel in it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts