Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Ducati 696 Rider
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to the bike dealer today with my friend who was buying a GSXR 6. The dealer started talking to me and I said. “I probably wouldn’t fit any of these bikes, the seat height is too tall.” (I’m 5’5)

He told me to try out the 05 GSXR 1K or the 05 R1. I did and I can actually touch the ground with my tip toes with the bike straight up! I just needed to post my excitement because I thought my options for sport bikes were limited to the ducati 749 series because of the 30 inch seat height.

Even though the GSXR 1K still has a 32 inch height, the seat is paper thin in width at one point allowing my legs to go straight down (no bowed legs!). The R1 has a thinner seat in height thickness this year but it’s probably ½ inch higher than the GSXR seat because of the width of the seat (It’s ok because I still touch ground with both feet).

Anyways I just wanted to give short people a heads up, these seats are a major change since last year. I hope Suzuki and Yamaha will bring these seat trends to the 600 class so I won’t have to get a 1K when I’m ready to upgrade.

So my friend leaves to dealer with an 05 GSXR 6 with crash cage for 11,150 OTD. It was $10,000 then they added $900 at the “back door” with warranties and gap protection. Then $250 for the stunter crash cage.

I told him to try and haggle the back door things but that guy in the back was talking too smooth and fast, my friend Kevin thought $900 for Loan Gap protection and a 4yr manufacturer warranty was a deal.

He has to park the bike at my house (to hide it from his girlfriend) and he would like me and my brother to help with the “long” break in period so it will be quick and he can ride it to max rpm’s. How great!

·
Ducati 696 Rider
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FizzerMeTimbers said:
Wow. your friend is an idiot. MSRP on that bike is only $8300.
Whats the OTD on that MSRP?

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
Dealers get the 6 in for aprox. $7300. They made a killing on him.

Edit- Also don't believe that "long break in" crap. Break it in how you're going to ride it later or have fun with piston rings that don't seal!

·
Registered
148 Posts
You should always haggle them down to atleast MSRP of the bike.....I was able to purchase my bike OTD way cheaper than MSRP.

·
Ducati 696 Rider
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SqDancerLynn1 said:
Did he get full coverage insurance ?? If he didn't gap is usless
MSRP $8300 + $775 taxes $4-500 DMV fees It adds up in a hurry
Finally a good explanation! I almost thought the dealer made like $2000 profit off of my friend. I'm not sure what the DMV fees in California are.

Why is the Gap useless without full coverage?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
NinjaDuck said:
Finally a good explanation! I almost thought the dealer made like $2000 profit off of my friend. I'm not sure what the DMV fees in California are.

Why is the Gap useless without full coverage?
The dealer made almost $2000 EXTRA profit from your friend.

But you're right about the '05 GSX-R 1K. It feels insanely small and light just sitting on it.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
11.5k for a 600.......? Wow, he must be a hellava salesman or your friend is just an idiot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
yea, just sat on friends 04 r1 and it felt real comfortable..5'8 here.. wouldn'd ride it though cause hes got about 6 grand in chrome and other bs that i dont wanna have to pay for ... but just soes ya know, there are lowering kits for most bikes out there.. plus, i wish i could remember the dudes name, but i read an article about some dude under 5'5 whos one of the better drag racers out there today. some magazine brought the guy in to do multiple 1/4 mile runs on a busa and a zx12. guys name was keith dennis, or dennis something... man, wish i could remember.. he's been around awhile and is pretty well known.anyways it was pretty inspireing stuff. iff i find the mag ill let ya know..

·
Registered
926 Posts
11k....ouch :urowned

·
Ducati 696 Rider
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
RayOSV said:
The dealer made almost $2000 EXTRA profit from your friend.
So let me get this straight, the MSRP should include all taxes and DMV fees?

spliffstar - I'm not into lowering kits because I think it will upset the dynamics of the bike. I want the bike to fit me bone stock. I mean the engineers who worked out the numbers for height and stuff did all that for a reason right?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts