Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ASMA Racer
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, that was fun, putting in springs. Once I figured out how to disassemble it - not like the RC51 or CBR1000/600RR's, or at least not quite, it went smoothly.

Philbie, it does have the funky spacer in it, and I'll need to replace my 1" sched 40 PVC spacers if the length is right. I'll need to cut the OEM ones to keep the springs from scraping the damping rods and dumping metal into the valves. The funky spacer has a guide that sits inside the spring and centers it, keeping it away from the damping rod.

Figuring the length of the spacer was an adventure, too. The fork has a 'long' topout spring, And you want, I think, and some others have hinted, the bike's free sag to be in the range where the topout spring is applying force. This way, the rider's weight moves the fork down UNDER the topout spring's range - and the topout spring will start to apply force (be compressed) just slightly - like 5mm or less - above the rider's sag when he's in a up-and-down-throttle-open position. [In other words, as soon as the rider aggressively hits the throttle exiting a corner, the topout spring should be helping keep the front wheel down on the ground as the suspension extends 5mm past neutral riding position...]

So I cut the spacer at the length that would give me 5mm of compression on the forkspring to be free of the topout, at the rider's weight. This came out to 80mm... we'll see how it feels at the track this weekend. If it's really close, I'll post up the math I used to get there, if anyone is interested. FWIW, it's giving me 21mm of rider sag, as measured by the zip-tie method, with 5 lines showing on the preload adjusters.

Reassembly needs an assistant (my lovely wife helped tonight) to pull up on the safety wire around the top of the damping rod, to pull the damping rod up into the topout spring about 5mm.

We can do this at the track if anyone's curious to watch, when I cut the OEM spacers (assuming I find a good setting with the adjusters).

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts

·
ASMA Racer
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I'll translate for Clay:

These forks ain't like yours.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
kz2zx said:
Okay, I'll translate for Clay:

These forks ain't like yours.
:eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor

·
ASMA Racer
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Super Ninja S2K said:
:needpics
Tell you what - you can hold the camera weekend after next when I put in valves. That'll be when I take them apart even further...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts