Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to pick up an 05 636. I have only ridden Suzuki and don't know to much about the 636 outside of knowing a few people who have had them. Please inform me about the pros and cons of this year.

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
Has the undertail exhaust. and a bit different in the fairings from the 03/04.

I am not sure about the other differences.

I have an 04. The Power is awesome, and pulls HARD from 7K to redline. not the comfiest bike if you are tall. The 05s are very nice looking, but I am partial to the side mount exhaust and metal gas tank of the 03/04 (the 05-06 has that ugly 2 piece plastic cover)
holds value well from what ive seen, more low end and midrange than the 599s of the era.

Sounds beautiful,a little more rumble than the 599s.. Motors seem to be bulletproof. Has a cult following - big aftermarket on the bikes.

Handles like a champ. Pretty stiff suspension. great brakes. Not sure if that 2005 had the digital tach, I think it did.

Dont think you can go wrong on it, havent heard much bad about any of the 636s.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
i rode my buddys 636 on the track and it needed a steering damper really bad. id suggest picking one up if your going to be doing aggressive riding

other than that it rode good

·
Registered
377 Posts
I just bought my 05 and I love it so far(have about 800 miles in 2 weeks so far). I don't know about any pros or cons. I just sat on some bikes and decided it was between a Ninja and an R6. The deal on the Ninja came up first so that's what I bought. I love mine so far.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
i rode my buddys 636 on the track and it needed a steering damper really bad. id suggest picking one up if your going to be doing aggressive riding

other than that it rode good
i never had any issues like that with my 636

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
well stealthys shook coming in hard on the brakes and coming out of the corner hard on the gas.

probably never notice it on the street though.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Out of curiosity how much does whoever you might buy it from want for it? I bought mine 2 weeks ago and have since found two for sale with more miles and roughly 2k more than what I paid for mine.

·
Registered
584 Posts
They are known for having some 2nd gear transmissions issues but other then that are good bikes. My 2006 has about 8k miles on it, with 5k of that being on the race track. No major issues. Runs strong.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a transmission problem shifting from 1st to 2nd, 2nd gear popping back to neutral. I switch to synthetic blend from fully synthetic and it very rarely happens anymore I don't even remember the last time it happened. Other than that no serious problems.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've been researching these for a bit now and am looking at getting an 05/06 636 most likely. The 06's are pretty much identical to the 05's except for a lower windscreen to see over. The 05's are usually $1000 or more than similar condition 04's because they have a slipper clutch and undertail exhaust. I think the slipper clutch alone is worth it, especially during spirited riding or track riding. The undertail exhaust is both a pro and con: the weight is more centralized and lighter than a typical side mount, it won't be damaged in a typical parking lot tip over, but it will roast your passengers butt and maybe yours while sitting in traffic. The largest complaints that I've read about are the illegible digital tach in direct sunlight and the handling isn't the best out of that year's 600s (the r6 tops them all). Like others have suggested I will be getting a steering damper definitely. I'll probably keep stock gearing, but will get an exhaust + a tuned powercommander. Also suggest doing the jumper mod which can net you 5+ hp, just search for it on the kawi forums.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything that's been said. I love mine, it's a great all around bike. Comfy enough, great power for a 600, handles very well (albeit it with some headshake bombing out of corners if you don't get a damper), I think it's one of the best looking bikes out there too. I read all about the tranny issues and I was concerned at first but knowing 3 other people with 05 or 06 636's, none of us have encountered the issue so I don't think it's as widespread as forums make it seem.

Great bike, I'd pick it up. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

·
Jive Turkey
4,528 Posts
Actually the '06's had a taller stock windscreen compared with the '05's, because there were too many complaints that the top edge of the screen was directly in most riders' line of sight with the top half of the speedo, so for '06 they made the screen slightly taller so when glancing down at the guages, you didn't have to stoop down to see everything. Just get yourself a nice double-bubble aftermarket screen and there'll be no worries.

Also, about the complaints of the digital tach in direct sunlight: I know it's a subjective matter, but I've never had a personal issue with this. I can read everything just fine when the sun is looking right into the guages.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts