Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello
After returning from bike week in NH. My key will no longer turn to the off position. It will turn into the Parking light mode but not off or lock. Any suggestions? Separate and baffling additional issue she runs really hot like 225-230 always ran 170-185. Does not boil over. Never had this issue until the end of last season engine got noisy as well. I burped the engine in case air was in the system nothing changed. Is there an air bleed needed on the system? Is this possibly an impending head gasket issue? Before I go crazy ripping her apart, other possible issues? Flow is good so I don't suspect the impeller. Fan turns on as normal. No damage to radiator or pipes.
Thanks in advance

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
I have the same vintage bike in my stable. I also had the same lock problem and even though I was a former factory superbike mechanic for kawasaki they told me to piss up a pole about this problem.

It's a common failure that I have to at least suspect part of the problem comes from the fact that they put ignition locks with square pegs into frames with round captures. Take a look you'll see.

For a temp measure I just slid it half way between off and park to keep the lights off and lock the steering. The key will come out. You'll need a new lock though. A full set cost about 250.

The only other idea I came up with was a shit lock that disintegrated with the vibration. The ridiculous square and round scenario makes me laugh though because a 1st grade kid could identify that as a problem.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts