Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had my bike for about one year and now when i start it up when its cold it makes a very weird ticking noise kind of like lifter tick or somthing to do with valves but when warm it is not as loud????

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
^^ Sell it and but a Yamaha :eek:nfloor :lao

Just fucking with Ya Scott

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
Yeah that def sounds like a valve issue, i had a car that did the same thing. Chekc your warrenty.

·
Registered
488 Posts
my car did it too.. its the lifters prob.. DEF check the warranty.. did you keep up on your oil changes and what not?

·
Registered
775 Posts
how many miles on the bike? is it valve adjustment time maybe? I dunno...not a super braniac when it comes to that kind of stuff but who knows, maybe?

I have to say, I'm not a brand freak but I have definitely noticed that my girlfriend 636 definitely doesn't sound as smooth as my F4i. But it is definitely faster...

·
Registered
144 Posts
car lifters are hydraulic, so they might clatter untill he pressure pums up.
bike lifters are mechanical, I would say it would clatter all the time if it was valves. And also I think your valves should be way, i mean WAY OUT of spec to make a loud noise.

I know suzuki has a pair system (for emission purpose), which has a soledoid with a steel ball inside... it clatters. Does kawasaki has a pair system? That could rattle.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
636pusher said:
i had my bike for about one year and now when i start it up when its cold it makes a very weird ticking noise kind of like lifter tick or somthing to do with valves but when warm it is not as loud????
What is the ticking rate (eg, does it sound like 1/2 the engine RPM)? If it sounds like 1/2 the engine RPM then it very well could be something in the valvetrain.

It's possible that clearances just slightly out of spec would cause ticking until warm, when the metal expands enough to bring it back in spec.

I have also heard of guys (cars) switching oils to a non-synthetic or heavier weight oil and the ticking going away.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i know honda is notorious for the cct (cam chain tentioner) going bad and ticking like that. also heard suzuki has the same problem with it on their sv series.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
redcbrla said:
how many miles on the bike? is it valve adjustment time maybe? I dunno...not a super braniac when it comes to that kind of stuff but who knows, maybe?

I have to say, I'm not a brand freak but I have definitely noticed that my girlfriend 636 definitely doesn't sound as smooth as my F4i. But it is definitely faster...

The bike has 4700 miles on it

·
Registered
426 Posts
engine knock maybe? I had a car that needed 93 octane once and after a few months had some ticking noises comming from it. I had to buy octane booster and the ticking noise stoped

·
Registered
424 Posts
Kawasaki's are just damn noisey, I doubt the 636's are any different. Is it a new noise, or has it been like that as long as you've had it and are just now asking about it? I've owned 2 ZX-6R's and they both were very noisey engine's. My 1980 Honda CB750F was a quieter engine than my '02 ZX-6R! Well, not really, but almost. Unless it's something really loud/bad sounding, I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone knows that Kawasaki's make the most hp and the most noise. If you're really worried take it into the dealer and have them check it out.

+1 on the mileage, you may need a valve adjustment.

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
How many miles? You may be due for a valve adjustment. Otherwise, it's CCT. My buddy has replaced two on his 03, I've never had an issue with mine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 04 has about 5800 miles on it and it's been doing that for a while. I've seen several threads on the net about it and everyone says its normal. As far as valve adjustments, that is not a scheduled maintenance item until 15k. Of course it wouldn't hurt to run it by the stealership before the warranty runs out just in case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts