Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out what is going on with my sister 03 SV1000S, The clutch doesn't release very well. I would tighten the throw out bearing screw a touch, but the shop manual doesn't show one. When you put it in gear the idle drops and the bike tries to roll, I took it to the dealer as it is three months old and they lowered the idle. Now it doesn't try to roll as bad but getting it in neutral is almost impossiable when stopped.

This is my first experance with these fancy hydraulic clutches. Is there an adjustment? Or is somthing wrong, Its only 3 months old.

Thanks

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
clytle374 said:
I've been trying to figure out what is going on with my sister 03 SV1000S, The clutch doesn't release very well. I would tighten the throw out bearing screw a touch, but the shop manual doesn't show one. When you put it in gear the idle drops and the bike tries to roll, I took it to the dealer as it is three months old and they lowered the idle. Now it doesn't try to roll as bad but getting it in neutral is almost impossiable when stopped.

This is my first experance with these fancy hydraulic clutches. Is there an adjustment? Or is somthing wrong, Its only 3 months old.

Thanks

Dude.... I had the same problem. The strangest thing is that it went away after I changed the oil in my bike. I put Motul 3000 10w-40 weight in it. I can't see how that would have helped it but I no longer have the problem of getting the bike in nuetral and rolling when I'm holding the clutch in. I used to have to turn the bike off at a stop just so I could get it in nuetral. Talk about a royal in the ass. But for some reason as soon as I started it up after I did the oil change it stopped. Don't ask me why. My SV1000 is my first bike. I'm not that familiar with the operating aspects of them just yet.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I don't know about hydraulic clutches either, but dumb question anyway: did this start with the oil change or before?

If it started right after the oil change, check what type and weight oil was used. It sounds like the clutch is simply adjusted too far in and won't totally disengage, though. There should be a simple adjustment for that.

Lowering the idle speed sounds like just a patch. Make sure it's within spec so you don't have unexpected stalls.

·
Registered
94 Posts
friend of mine had a cbr 1000 and had the same problem and guess what a service solved it.he put the problem down to the wrong oil!

·
Id Shred It
97 Posts
Im having the problem with my 636 with the bike wanting to roll with the clutch in and im starting to hear a lot of people say it could be due to the fiction plates sticking which could be solved by changing the oil and if that doesnt work opening the case and physically seperating them. But Im having this problem too, still looking for the answer

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 03 sv1000s and I experienced the same problem. It's the oil in the bike. The wet clutch doesn't like some oil. I've been running Honda's regular oil in my bike. I change the oil every 1000 miles and have tried several different oils from cheap to very expensive. I've had the best luck with the Honda oil. It doesn't walk with the clutch in and it shifts much better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts