Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out what is going on with my sister 03 SV1000S, The clutch doesn't release very well. I would tighten the throw out bearing screw a touch, but the shop manual doesn't show one. When you put it in gear the idle drops and the bike tries to roll, I took it to the dealer, as it is three months old and they lowered the idle(too low). Now it doesn't try to roll as bad but getting it in neutral is almost impossiable when stopped.

This is my first experance with these fancy hydraulic clutches. Is there an adjustment? Or is somthing wrong, Its only 3 months old.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good possibility that it could be the clutch plates. if they sat for a while b4 you bought it they could be sticking together...

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
The clutch just isn't releasing all the way. There should be a hydraulic actuator on the clutch case. There should be an adjustment screw on that.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I also forgot to ask, Is your clutch spongy at all? Can you pull the handle all the way back to the bar?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1st m/c tech Where would the cluch plates stick that wouldn't brake lose on start-up, or take you for a invoulentary ride.
2nd The book shows no adjustmenton the master or slave, just a solid shaft. There is also a spring in the slave to take the slop out.
3rd I wouldn't say the cluch is spongy but i can pull it clear to the bar. I Have bleed it twice and there never got any air out of the system.

They adjusted the idle to 950 (too low)
I'm starting to think that it has to be a defective part.
Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
There has to be a method for clutch adjustment. There has to be some way to compensate for clutch wear. There has to be an actuator that pushes against that pushrod. Follow the line down from your bar and find where it enters the case. The line should enter into a hydraulic actuator, and if you pull a cover off or something, there should be a screw or something to adjust how far that actuator sits from the pushrod. Call your local dealership and purchase a service manual for your bike. THey are invaluable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that's what I thought, But i guess that the spring in the slave cylinder takes out the slack and holds it against the push rod. I haven't removed the slave, but the service manual doesn't show any adjustment in there either.

It does work a bit better with the idle up wherer it is supposed to be, and i figured out if i rev the motor a few thou it goes into neutral easy.

She is going to take it to the dealer and complain, as i have screwed with i for 3 hrs now.

I agree about the manual, I made her buy one with the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if the plates have swelled from sitting they will cause unwanted friction. the bike is shipped from the factory with oil in it and some additives. its just a guess cause i cant test ride or see it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts