Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well if ya can't tell by my stupid newbie questions that I am a DAN, then I feel sorry for ya :lao

but I just bought an '03 600 F4i and had some stupid newbie questions to ask. Hopefully you don't care to take the time to answer them.This bike is nothing like my old piece of crap ninja I had.. But i haven't gotten a service manual or anything for it yet.So I have not touched the bike AT ALL..

But after reading around this site,Redstar11 gave some great info to answer questions about my fuel mileage and running synthetic oils. But what octane is recommended for the F4i? I last put in 87 octane and it started to ping under hard acceleration.guess i need to go up to 89 or 93?

also, not sure if someone has changed gearing on the front sprocket( haven't taken off the cover) but isn't stock 16 and 46? when i ran on the expressway, i did 65-70mph and ran at 5500-6000 rpm.. is that normal?

I am just wondering since that seems to high of rpm's, but i guess i'm just used to my truck and staying between 2500-3000. I am not used to such a high rev motor I guess. I don't want to blow it up :rolleyes

5.. last question-- i have a 2 bros. exhaust on the bike.not sure if it is just a slip on or a full exhaust. is it possible the previous owner installed a jet kit or something else also? but if I ever change pipes or do any type of performance upgrades, do i need a programmer since its FI?

sorry to waste your time with these measly questions, but greatly appreciate the info... :beer

Jeremy

BTW- here is a pic of the bike :)

Attachments

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
TwistedCreations said:
But after reading around this site,Redstar11 gave some great info to answer questions about my fuel mileage and running synthetic oils. But what octane is recommended for the F4i? I last put in 87 octane and it started to ping under hard acceleration.guess i need to go up to 89 or 93?
I was using 87 for awhile, but I noticed a small pinging no matter where I was in the RPM range, so I went to 89 and it went away. I've been swtiching between Shell and Hess 89 Octane, and I think I'm staying w/ this octane because there is no ping, either brand.

also, not sure if someone has changed gearing on the front sprocket( haven't taken off the cover) but isn't stock 16 and 46? when i ran on the expressway, i did 65-70mph and ran at 5500-6000 rpm.. is that normal?
Run a search on the sproket sizes, or check www.cbrforums.com. What gear are you in at that speed? It sounds like 5th or 6th, and that would be normal.

I am just wondering since that seems to high of rpm's, but i guess i'm just used to my truck and staying between 2500-3000. I am not used to such a high rev motor I guess. I don't want to blow it up :rolleyes
Just don't bring it to (and through red line), which is just over 14,000 RPMs. Depending on the mileage on the machine, e.g. break-in period, you might want to break it in w/ the suggested speeds in the Owners Manual.

i have a 2 bros. exhaust on the bike.not sure if it is just a slip on or a full exhaust. is it possible the previous owner installed a jet kit or something else also? but if I ever change pipes or do any type of performance upgrades, do i need a programmer since its FI?
I think Two-Bros. makes both for that machine. It could be either a full or slip-on. F4"i" machines are fuel injected, henceforth the "i" designation in the model name. Therefore it could not be jetted, since there are no carbs to jet. However, FI machines can have a DJ PowerCommander installed to optimize engine performance using a computer to control the various variables in a combustion engine. I think most would recommend getting a PowerCommander (Yoshimura makes one too) after an exhaust and air intake to take advantage of those upgrades. PC's also supposedly enhance fuel mileage and help w/ back-fire.

Good luck! Nice Honda! :cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks alot for the info.I'll switch to 89 and see how that does then.

as for gearing, I was in 6th gear. I just wanted to make sure running it at 5500-6500 RPM for a long period of time wouldn't hurt it, if it has been geared.Need to get used to a high rev motor then

As for the jets comment,I wasn't thinking :rolleyes

Appreciate the help and info :cheers

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
I know how you feel about the high-revving engine thing. I know I find myself trying to shift into the mystical 7th gear when I'm going 70-75 mph... just to find out that there isn't one and I have to deal w/ the engine speed in final gear.

I've pretty much memorized the engine speed / speedometer speed ratios throughout the power band so I know what gear I'm in. Some people can count and remember, but when you're dodging crazy cagers, you have other priorities.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Twisted, can I see a pic of the back of your bike... I am stuck with an ugly rear end on mine, but urs seems nice. post up a pic if you could

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes i'll get ya one, but its nothing special. Looks like someone just cut the back off and raised the plate up higher. I plan to go with an undertail or something else to give it a better finished look

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
These motors are made to rev very high. They have very short strokes, (like 55mm or something around there) so they can take rev's very well. In-fact, your bike doesn't make peak power until around 10,000-11,000 RPMS. Just try not to be bouncing it off the rev limiter, and do not rev it to redline while in neutral.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
5500 sounds good at that speed, it depends on what gear you are in too, and your pipe looks like it is a slip on

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well good to hear that i'm not over revving it at highway speed then :banana

here is a couple more pics..the one is the hacked back that Frogleg wanted. the other 2 are of the header pipe goig to the 2 bros pipe. since the headers are black and not chrome/polished or whatever like the 2 bros. stuff, i take it they are stock

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like the way yours looks... not ugly like mine...

I am thinking about getting this undertail kit, just thought I'd show it to you... I dont know if its worth 100 bucks though... I just dont like the circle style lights on the undertails out there..

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
1st: Damn nice color!
2nd: Has it been down? Just guessing from the paint job.
3rd: I won't knock you if its been down, mine has a salvage title but runs/handles great.
4th: RPM range sounds right for stock gearing.
5th: Those are stock headers - you've just got a slip on (I have the round CF two bros).
6th: Its unlikely there is a PowerCommander on there already (though it would be nice).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info....

as for being down. I have not dropped it. But i have a strong feeling that it has been down. the handlebar weight at the end is scratched up, as the front brake lever is also. the rear brake lever is bent backwards too. so with all that and the new color, i feel it has been down.I went over it with a fine tooth comb when i bought it and that seemed to be the only problems. so not sure it was actually down or maybe someone just dropped it down on it's side :bitchslap but has a clean title to it

I wanted a blue bike and always have rode Honda, so this bike screamed my name :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Run the VIN on carfax.com - you'll get an idea of where it's been, how many people have owned it, if its been totalled.
Keep in mind - when a bike is 'totalled' or is considered 'salvage', its because someone (insurance) decided that making repairs wasn't cost effective. When an insurance company looks at factory/dealer prices on fairings and other modern bike parts, mechanically sound bikes end up declared a total loss.

·
Registered
454 Posts
at 6000 rpm in sixth gear you should be right around 75 mph if you have stock sprockets.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok cool... I remembered that you said that when i was on the expressway today. At 6,000 rpm's, i was doing right at 73mph.... :cheers

but next thing i knew, I looked down and it said 120 :bitchslap

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
What's up with the chopper in the background?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that's my 49cc mini chopper i have :fiddy

one of these days, i'll shove that honda 250r motor in there and roast my rear tire :banana

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
TwistedCreations said:
that's my 49cc mini chopper i have :fiddy

one of these days, i'll shove that honda 250r motor in there and roast my rear tire :banana

:lao Make sure you take pics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts