Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of stuck choosing between the two motorbikes, so I've decided to have the all knowing internet help me in choosing amongst the two...

Has anyone owned or thoroughly ridden either of these bikes?

2003 CBR 600RR

I've ridden a couple different CBR's and have always been impressed. I'm not a huge fan of ergos but the handling of a CBR and decent mileage it sees for a 4 cylinder, I would make the exception.

2003 SV1000S

I've never ridden an SV1000S before, but I did own an SV650 for a couple thousand miles. I was pretty impressed with the overall feel of the bike, although the sv650 was lacking a little bit on top.

I know the basic differences between the two. The SV1k is a street bike that is designed to deliver power all through the revs with an awesome sounding V-Twin. The CBR is a sport bred animal that is designed for the track and looks beautiful. I'm very familiar with Supersport motorbikes and the responsibility that comes with operating one correctly and responsibly.. I'm just at a loss for which bike I should invest in.

Thanks,

Cody

·
Registered
848 Posts
what are you going to use it for? commuting? track whore? canyon carver? depending on what ya want a bike for, is whether you might want one bike over the other.

also, have you looked at insurance for both bikes? is it not an issue to consider?

we all would need more info before "helping" you pick which bike.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I've heard a few different places

"While the SV650 is a great bike for what it is, the SV1K can only be described as a good bike".

I'd go with the 600rr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably should have included this in the OP.

what are you going to use it for?

we all would need more info before "helping" you pick which bike.
Mostly commuting with some spirited rides in between there. I don't foresee any track days in my future.

I mostly go riding with my girlfriend who has her own bike, and a few friends who like to cruise with the occasional set of twisties in there.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Well, commuting goes to the SV if you don't want to ring the 600 out a bit. Twisties go to the CBR. Now to compromise which you like more and/or which can be settled with.

If it was me I'd go with the SV1000. Then again, I'm a large fan of low-mid torque...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd take the cbr over the sv1k, the sv its the first year and they had there little nicks. For an 03 that cbr looks great.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I think it also could depend on whether you like to tinker with bikes. If you don't, and just want to buy it and ride it, the CBR is a more complete bike. If you like modifications and upgrades, though, the SV1000 can be made into a seriously fantastic bike.

PhilB

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
If you get the SV1k, it desperately needs:

GSXR1k/ZX10 shock
New springs/valves
New Brake Pads.

Also, the hydraulic clutch is a pain in the ass.

After that, it makes a pretty good street bike aside from horrible gas mileage (~120 mi before light comes on. Both my 675's have done 150-160 consistently).

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Damn good question. I've had a CBR and it was a fantastic bike. Personally I'd prolly go with the SV just to try something new, especially if I had no plans to go to the track.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 03 600RR and before that I had an FZ1 which is similar in purpose to the SV. I loved the FZ1 for commuting and long rides. I live in Chicago, but could jump on it and head to MI or WI for lunch and come back feeling great. I have commuted a little and done some rides on the 600RR, but they were less enjoyable. I did my first trackday on the FZ1 and loved it. The reason I went to the 600RR was to do more trackdays. The 600RR is great at the track. I have now moved away from trackdays and wanted something that is more street orientated and picked up a Speed Triple. The 600RR has gathered dust since the Triumph came home and will be sold this year.

For your purposes, the SV seems like the better fit. And with the possibilities of aftermarket, you can make the SV handle better, but you will never get the 600RR to be as comfortable or have the low-end grunt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice problem to have ......

I am partial to inline 4-cylinder sportbikes, but I suspect that the SV1000 has more comfortable ergos.

Have you made up your mind yet?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Go with the SV1000S. Much more comfortable. Much better commuter. Much better with passengers. Faster and a lot more fun than the CBR from 0-60mph. Overall its just a much better bike for 90% of the type of riding most people do.

For twisties, the rider and tires are more important than the bike. Supersport quality suspension and geometry is overkill on the street for almost everyone.

the CBR600RR is probably one of the worst road bikes ever built.
"oh no he didn't" :wannafight

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I've ridden both but owned an Sv1k that I put 13000 miles in a little over a year. I had an sv650 that I bought off the floor that I really didn't like too much.

For what you are describing, the Sv would fit you perfectly. You don't need to do any mods to it, that's garbage for the everyday rider. If you're into modding then go for it. If not, stock will suit you fine. I city rode, chased people up and down canyons, and even sport toured on it Stock and the bike loved it all. It's not great at any one thing, but it's good at alot of things.

Pros:

Comfortable and had plenty of mods to help ad more comfort to just about wherever you need it.
Very strong bottom end. You can be a real lazy shifter. And even at speed or WOT the bike isn't howling your presence to any who would care. If that matters
Easy to work on. There are some really good SV sites that are very friendly for info and advice and ideas. SVrider , but just go straight to the 1k section. 03 + SV1000 Tech - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums
or SVportal SV1000 Portal

Tons of great info!

It's not considered a sport bike(With State farm and Allstate at least) so your insurance may be cheaper.
It does great at sport touring(IMO), though I would recommend upgrading the seat.
and it doesn't look half bad(as long as you're not looking at it headon LOL)
It sounds great and even better with a good set of cans.
My bike handled 13k of hard riding and touring with only one hitch and that will be on the Cons.

It's a great cheap bike and will do just about anything that you will ask.

Cons:

Research the "Green connector" For some reason some of the 1ks had this green connector, located under the tank somewhere that had a tendency to burn our and I mean burn out! Mine never did nor did anyones locally, but it has happened enough times for there to be mods for it.

That sonuvabitching hydraulic clutch. The 1k had noted clutch issues, but again it seemed to be select bikes that got it. My bike out of several locally had it and it never went away even with a new final gear assembly.
It was never really bad enough to hamper riding. Just really irritating riding a bike that sounded like a ducati. and 3 months after the rebuild, it started doing it again. But it never hampered my rides or my riding, it was just a nuisance.

Not the best MPGs. The most I ever got 170 and I ran out right as I pulled into the Gas station. But I do ride hard and I had a 100 lbs of gear hanging on the back of the bike, sticking out all over.

Alot of riders complain about the suspension. It never bothered me, but I don't ride anywhere to near my limit either. I am usually the guy chasing other bikes to take pictures and/ or babysit the rookie riders in the group. I never felt the need to change or adjust anything except for tires. However I felt much more confident with the SV650 for hard canyon riding.

The bike feels like a heavy pig and it can get grouchy in the city if you are stopping every block at a light. It can be a chore getting it out of a parking spot or making a walking uturn with it.

It is a budget bike. There isn't really anything Glowing about it. No standout tech, no cool history. It's just a jack of all trades bike.

All said IMO

Looks great from the side LOL

Reactions: acura9927

·
Registered
201 Posts
The grunt of a big v-twin is addictive. An I-4 600 is a high strung engine that is tuned to make power at high revs. If you don't ride up in the high revs then you'll find it anemic.

If you do like a 600cc I-4 then there are many better street bikes than the 600rr. The 1999-2002 ZX6r (or ZZR600) and the early Yamaha R6's are good as are the older Honda F4 and F4i. All great sport bikes for the street.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
I had a 2007 600RR, then I got a SV1000S, then got rid of the 600RR to get a second SV1000 to build into a naked bike.

The SV1000S is the better real world sportbike. The 600RR will be better at the track, BUT, both are WAY more capable than the average rider, so you will have tons of fun with the SV1K if you ever decide to take it to the track.

As for the guy that said the SV1K is not happy in stop & go traffic, the 600RR is even worse. They run stupidly hot, the clutch cover is right next to your knee (it's really hot) and to make it worse, you are sitting on top of the muffler... It's rather unpleasant.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I race an '06 600rr and ride an '06 SV1K on the street. Enough said. the SV1K is a far better street bike, the ergo's are a bit more comfortable and the engine is great. The 600RR and the SV1000 make the same hp but the difference is in the torque. I can run it hard or take it easy on it, the vtwin is more linear and the boost out of the corners is fun and predictable. I would never bother with a 600cc supersport bike for the street. I have no interest in wringing it's neck and working hard to get out of the corners, especially considering around here when you're caught doing 40km over the limit you're impounded on the spot. The suspension and brakes are a bit cheaper on the SV but they are more than adequate for spirited street riding.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Those two are about as apple and orange as it gets the.

The 2003 RR is a decent bike, its a standard japanese I-4 supersport high strung, uncomfortable, and back then relatively heavy and kinda low on power compared to its peers. It handles like a knife and is well planted.

The SV1000K is a big pig, heavy, budget suspension....BEAST motor. Its a good all around bike, and they are really good street bikes after a bit of suspension work.

Just depends on what you are doing with it really

1 - 20 of 25 Posts