Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '02 nd it runs great. So I think. That's why I'm here.

When the outside temp is anywhere from 65-75 degrees, my bike runs at about 156 - 165ish. Once it cracks 75 degrees my bike starts to heat up rather quickly. The other day is was about 85-88 degrees outside and my bike was running about 190-195ish on the fucking freeway!!!

Also, if I'm at an idle, say stuck in traffic and I can't lane split for whatever reason, my temperature will crack 200 in no time flat. If it's cool out, it'll take a little longer but not much. I haven't had it overheat yet...but it worries me.

Is this normal? Am I just paranoid?
If it's not normal, what the fuck then? Any suggestions to fix it?

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
In my experience that's the way the bike runs temp-wise. When sitting the bike gets up to ~217 and the fan comes on and then it cools off to low 200's. I've spent plenty of time in traffic and it never goes over ~217. The fan works well.

Water boils at 212 but you are running coolant and water under pressure so the boiling point is considerably higher. I'd definitely keep an eye on the temp gauge and if I saw 230 I'd start to worry. Then you might want to consider shutting it down.

How many miles do you have? It might be time to flush the cooling system.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
likebikes said:
In my experience that's the way the bike runs temp-wise. When sitting the bike gets up to ~217 and the fan comes on and then it cools off to low 200's. I've spent plenty of time in traffic and it never goes over ~217. The fan works well.

Water boils at 212 but you are running coolant and water under pressure so the boiling point is considerably higher. I'd definitely keep an eye on the temp gauge and if I saw 230 I'd start to worry. Then you might want to consider shutting it down.

How many miles do you have? It might be time to flush the cooling system.
Come to think of it, I've never seen it crack 217. It's nice to know that my fan kicks in when it's supposed to.

I have 10,500+ miles on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is typical for this bike. I have had my bike overheat in traffic. This bike sucks in heat. It is not uncommon for the bike to break 220+ when it's hot out. I agree that when it break 230 shut it down and give it some rest. There is this coolant called Engine Ice that is supposed to help a bit but I have never tried it.

BTW: I am extremly jealous of you. I have been to San Diego twice in recent history trying to get jobs out there. I love that place it's paradise.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Like others have said, that's completely normal. I've rarely seen mine go over 220, except the day it was like 95 outside and I was stuck in traffic, moving 5-10mph. It was reaching 228-229. A LOT of heat was kickin off the engine. It didnt break 230 though.

FYI, MOM (motorcycle owners manual) says to change the coolant every 2 years or 15,000 miles. Looks like I'm due for a change myself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. For what you all have said it sounds pretty normal. That's a load off my mind. I'll check into my coolant. Just to be on the safe side. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts