Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All things being equal with both bikes(maintenance records, condition, etc), Mileage is within reason for their years. the CBR has roughly 20k, the SV about 10k. The price is the same(hence the difference in years), about $3500. There will only be a $6. a month difference to insure(you can guess which one costs more).

I've never ridden either, but all the research I've done tells me I cant go wrong with either one. Also, both will suit my purposes(albeit in their own ways). Though the SV will have more "usable" power, I understand it will need front suspension and front break upgrades to handle occasional 2-up, where the F4i seems to be ready right out of the box. I'd rather upgrade the Honda's seat for comfort, vs spend 6 bills squaring away the SV. Both will be in my price range in the next week or so.

But enough about me. Which one would YOU choose. Be as detailed as possible with your answer. This is only about these two bikes, so please no third option. If you're answer is neither, please explain.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it comes down to whether you'd rather have a twin or an i4
I know, twin vs I4 is the big elephant in the room, but try to think of it as $3500 to spend on a 10yr old F4I, or $3500 to spend on a 6yr old SV.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
the sv due to its fun factor due to handling and availabilty of parts.

simply based on the year of each bike, would make me want the newer sv

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
finding a clean, used 600 is hard!!!!

FYI (and i just like bragging), i just picked up this 2007 with <400 miles on it for $3,200
:)

I saw your original post when first bought it. Very nice specimen. Have you tried any 2-up with it yet?

simply based on the year of each bike, would make me want the newer sv
This is the train of thought I was looking for. You value both bikes equally but would choose the newer of the two. This is about where I'm at. Hell at this rate, its going to boil down to color.:eek:nfloor

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Love my F4i, I'll say it over and over and over again. Not to mention these goddamn things are bullet proof. I've got 55k on the clock and I'm pretty sure it's never had a valve adjustment in the last 40k. I still need to stick my APE tensioner in too, but the rattle isn't bad enough to really bother me, plus my yosh pipe drowns it out most of the time. Other then those two things, I've kept current with the maintenance and she still pulls hard when I need her to. There's also a pretty large following on another forum so plenty of useful information from knowledgeable guys and mechanics.

Performance part wise though, the front end does need help because the springs are essentially set for 120 lb person, while the rear maxed out you can set for up to 180 lb person. Or some such. I've read that with new springs and valves you can do some amazing things with the forks. Think there's also a 929 front end swap or something you can do too.

For me the seat isn't too bad, and I've done 300 mile days in it. My biggest problem is my legs get cramped on it on longer trips.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not to mention these goddamn things are bullet proof.
Monster selling point. I've heard nothing but good things about Honda quality and reliability. The F4i seems to be a good example.

·
5,455 Posts
I saw your original post when first bought it. Very nice specimen. Have you tried any 2-up with it yet?

This is the train of thought I was looking for. You value both bikes equally but would choose the newer of the two. This is about where I'm at. Hell at this rate, its going to boil down to color.:eek:nfloor
not yet... i'm doing upgrades this winter so i didn't want to even bother putting plates and insurance on it yet.

comfort wise from just sitting in the garage, i think it'll definitely be better than the 600RR. pillion seat is much lower and actually has some cushioning. i doubt it'd be better than a F4i with the banana seat though.

now is the time to buy though! people are done buying bikes since the riding season is about over, so you should be able to talk someone down a bit if they have any need to sell

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
now is the time to buy though! people are done buying bikes since the riding season is about over, so you should be able to talk someone down a bit if they have any need to sell
Yeah the timing of my accident case settling couldn't be more perfect. After jumping through hoops for a year, now I'm just waiting for check to mail.:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
They're both good bikes, so you could do worse than making your decision based on color. There's no reason to ignore the subjective things like aesthetics.

I would factor in the cost of the SV's suspension upgrades into your decision. When I was shopping for a new bike a couple years ago, I fully intended to get an SV, but after test riding a couple that had the stock fork internals and shock, I knew that the upgrade wasn't optional, it was mandatory.

I ended up with the CBR because I came across a nice deal - $3,000 for a pristine bike with 7,700 miles on it. As far as usable power, I ride through city traffic, highway slabbing to work, and not enough track days, and I have no complaints. I'm sure a twin would have more grunt down low, but I seem to manage just fine.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
not yet... i'm doing upgrades this winter so i didn't want to even bother putting plates and insurance on it yet.

comfort wise from just sitting in the garage, i think it'll definitely be better than the 600RR. pillion seat is much lower and actually has some cushioning. i doubt it'd be better than a F4i with the banana seat though.

Banana seat didn't start until 2003 I think, so 2002 would still be the split seat. I've read of people getting the foam replaced, or you could even swing for a corbin which I hear are awesome. Depends on the person though. When I did Vegas and back (over 600 miles round trip in 2 1/2 days) my ass was the only thing that wasn't sore on the stock seat.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
There's no reason to ignore the subjective things like aesthetics.
I was joking about color, the aesthetic differences are definitely no lost on me. Though the SVs is a very sharp looking bike(especially blue), the F4i just looks downright sick!

Here is an f4i I'm looking at ATM. This one is actually listed at 3300.

The SV650s, price just dropped to 3k-

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Wish my F4i looked that good, haha, she went through hell with the previous owner so I've been running half naked for the last year with no lower fairings, which actually isn't a bad look either. There's a picture in the General BS thread.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SV for sure. put a pipe on it and instant JOY-gasm.
You bring up a very good point about the pipe. After watching this vid demonstrating a stock pipe, a replacement is mandatory so that cost has to be considered-

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is that price as shown, or does it include the exhaust?

Here is an f4i I'm looking at ATM. This one is actually listed at 3300.

Good eye.:eek:nfloor If not, $300 will be coming off the price and a Yoshi TRS will be going on the bike. On sale at STG for $314.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts