Sport Bikes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CBR has a really stiff suspension, and I'm not sure if this is how it is stock or if it was modified since the previous owner was 230 pounds and I'm only 145. I stood up and bounce on the pegs to test it and i couldn't get more than an inch of bounce.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
You should setup the bike for your weight and riding style. Find someone who can do suspension work and have them set up the bike for you, adjust all settings to your liking and respring it for your weight. Sounds to me like the bike was set up for the previous rider in the same manner I'm describing. It's not very expensive and will help your overall performance ALOT.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would this have anything to do with why it doesn't wheelie with roll on throttle except maybe a foot or so when I sit way towards the rear of the seat?

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
i wouldn't think so, i imagine a 954 can wheelie in first if you whack the throttle regardless of how stiff the pre-load is.

such an odd grouping of questions...

you can look up the stock suspension settings on-line if you wanna just reset it and try to adjust from there, or, if you wanna see if you can 12 o'clock from there...whatever you like.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Mucho the problem with just resetting the settings to stock is that since the last rider was 230lbs he might have had the bike resprung.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Well the norm for stock bikes is to be sprung for ~145lb rider, which isn't very realistic for most of us. Most people don't even mess with suspension settings it seems, much less respring the bike, but there are some of us who do, and when we do it sorta ruins the handling for anyone but us or someone of a similar weight.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a 2002 954. I setup my suspension myself for myself. I can tell you, it comes from the factory stiff. The rear suspension is OK. You may have to adjust the sag. But, the front suspension is stiff as hell. This is a good thing if you plan on doing a lot of wheelies. If you do a lot of wheelies, you will have to setup the suspension with that in mind. You can blow a fork seal if you slam a wheelie down with the suspension setup properly for the race track.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Meh2u said:
Would this have anything to do with why it doesn't wheelie with roll on throttle except maybe a foot or so when I sit way towards the rear of the seat?

Dude, how can you complain about the 954's wheelie capability? It is HARD to keep that front wheel on the ground. The bike is notorious for being easy to wheelie.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
mine will wheelie in first very very easily, but it seems like second gear i have to intentionally wheelie it. when i want to stand it up in 2nd it stands up very well, but i dont get many 2nd gear unintentional power wheelies. 3rd gear bounces up too :D

ps. watch out, the 954 has a very light front end, setting down wheelies with the front end slightly turned, or settting them down on a shitty road(ie potholes/ruts/cracks) will result in a tank slapper.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's probably just the power drop from my altitude why it doesn't wheelie as hard as it would at sea level.

How much should I have the preload at. I don't want to wheelie it but if it does come up on me in first and I slam it down I don't want to break a forkseal.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't own a manual, does anyone have one PDF they could send me? I'm not quite sure what you mean, on my gixxer it was 4 lines and then everything else was counter-clockwise 1 1/4 turns I think.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Meh2u said:
It's probably just the power drop from my altitude why it doesn't wheelie as hard as it would at sea level.

How much should I have the preload at. I don't want to wheelie it but if it does come up on me in first and I slam it down I don't want to break a forkseal.
It takes two people. For the rear sag. Hold the bike up off the ground(not on a rear stand), measure a fixed point in back to the ground. Sit on the bike, measure from same fixed point on back to ground. You should have 10cm of movement. I'm pretty sure you can find all of this on the internet. Do a search.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wanna know the stock settings for the front fork cause mine is set all the way high and I wanna set it back.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well shit, what socket do I need cause I don't have one that will work, and I can't use an adjustable wrench cause that'll scratch the shit out of it. So I go all the way down, and then watch the dot in the middle and wait till it goes around 2 times?

I already caught one fault, the preload was set on the right side to 2 1/4 and on the left 1 1/4, I turned them both clockwise all the way (one went 1 1/4 and one went 2 1/4) then turned them both back to 1 1/4.

I'm gonna go and pick up an owner's manual tomorrow so i can get this shit straight it's really pissing me off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts