Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I buy cars
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking at a bandit 1200s as a new (to me) bike. The tires on it now, are worm and squared off. What do you recommend for this bike?

Mostly used for 2 up commuting/touring with the occasional fast paced/aggressive riding.

Thanks!

·
Crusted over
124 Posts
What Ken said. Also the Pirelli Diablo Strada, or the Metzler Roadtec Z6.

Can't really go wrong with any of those. Find the set that's cheapest.

·
Bandito
133 Posts
One piece of advice from a long-time Bandit owner:

The 120/180 combo is common on almost all sportbikes these days. Most tires in this size combo are made for the lighter super-sports which weigh more than 100lbs less than the Bandit. Heavier bikes, like the Bandit, tend to do weird things to a tire tread over time, especially the front tire. "Scalloping" sometimes happens to the front tread long before the tread is worn enough that it would normally be replaced, and causes a small oscillation as the tire tries to track left/right with the unevenly-worn tread. To avoid this, choose a tire where the tread does NOT cross the center of the tire. I've ended up with that slight oscillation on every tire with a pattern that crossed the center, but never had the oscillation with a tread pattern that didn't cross the center. Even most GOOD tires for the Bandit (like Avons) can eventually cause the front-wheel oscillation. Some folks just live with it until the tread is really worn; the oscillation is really only noticable when you take your hands off the handlebar, but I like my bike to be tight, and I try to avoid any oscillation no matter how small. I'm mounting Pirelli Diablos today, so I'll let you know how they feel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts