Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 CBRF4i , cam chain tensioner, can anyone tell me what's involved w/replacing. I am hearing a swooshing/rattleing noise around the 5000/5500 rpm mark. I have been looking at forums and see that this is a known common issue w/the cbr. What are the steps in replacing it or is it best to take it into dealer? What is the cost in replacement, do it yourself replacement cost and dealer cost? Also, is it something that needs replacement or can you just leave it be ? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Im not too familiar with the F4's, however the cam chain tensioners should be pretty accesible. Check the top half of your crank case for it. They are a wear part so they should be easy to remove and replace.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Redstar, you're obviously not familiar with the F4i at all. The CCT on the F4i is in the LEAST accessible place you can imagine. It's on the right side, under the tank and between the engine and the frame. You have about 2 inches or less to work with, barely enough room to take the stock CCT off. It's a major pain in the a$$ taking the CCT out on the F4i. Cush, go on CBRworld and look under the FAQ. There's a good tutorial about how to DIY. I recommend going with the manual CCT from APE. I've had mine on for over 4000 miles and the noise hasn't returned and I haven't adjusted it yet. It's also only 50 bucks and you just buy it and adjust it every so often, instead of having to buy a new oem one every couple of thousand miles.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
As I said, Im not familiar with the F4's, however, I know I can take my fuel tank and airbox off in under 10 minutes. Why not do that, and give yourself a little room to work?

·
Ghost GTO
1,609 Posts
Can someone please give me the link to the DIY site?

And the link to CBRworld?

I would rather have the link to the DIY tutorial so I can print it off and give it to the Suzuki Dealer because the Honda Dealer here is STUPID! OMG...lol. The owner can't even talk right..lol.

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Here is the link posted on CBRWorld detailing how to replace the CCT. Technically, this tutorial is for an F4 but there's no significant difference in the F4i when it comes to doing this. http://www.bossturbo.com/cbr/howto_cct.shtml

I just put an APE manual in last night on my F4i. Yes, it IS a pain to get to. You need to have the tank off but not the airbox (the airbox won't give you any extra room really). Good luck cramming your fingers down in there and be sure to have a telescopic magnet to pick up the screws when you drop them.

My biggest issue with the install: its difficult to know how tight you're getting the screws that hold the CCT in. You have to use a swivel socket which makes judging torque difficult (you'll know what I mean when you tear into it).

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Camchain rattling would be more apparent at idle and lower RPM's. Cam chain noise usually goes away when the bike revs up. Does it?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Redstar11 said:
Camchain rattling would be more apparent at idle and lower RPM's. Cam chain noise usually goes away when the bike revs up. Does it?
Actually, rattling around 5000 rpm is one of the best indicators that its a CCT issue. Mine was rattling a bit around 5000 and as it got worse, the rpm range where it happened got wider (4000 - 6500 rpm).

Technically, it isn't the cam chain that is rattling, its the CCT lifter (the hydrolic pushrod assembly that you actually replace). As the small oil inlet hole or internal mechanism gets gummed up, the rod doesn't push out as hard and the tip (a multi-piece assembly) begins to rattle.

You'll have to trust me on this. If you don't, I suppose I can go out to my garage and take a picture of the automatic CCT laying on the floor since I haven't picked it up yet from changing it yesterday and messing with adjusting the manual one tonight.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Hmm, I need to look into these Honda CCT's a bit more. Thanks for the heads up HOZ.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Redstar11 said:
Hmm, I need to look into these Honda CCT's a bit more. Thanks for the heads up HOZ.

If you don't have to look into a Honda CCT, you shouldn't! No one should have to deal with the damn thing.
Its the only troublesome part on an otherwise stellar series of bikes. Its not just the F4 and F4i - its also the F2 and F3 - I've even heard of it on 929's, 954's, etc.

Honda isn't the only company with crappy Auto CCT's - just the most notorious and most consistent and making this one part very lousy.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
The Suzuki spring loaded ratchet style ones seem to be pretty bullet proof. I wonder why they just don't use those. Ive heard of very few problems with them.

I am starting to recall alot of bitching about those auto CCT's that Honda uses. I am going to look into it more.

Honda seems to be notorious for stuff like that it seems. It's almost like they overcomplicate something just to say, "look at the way we do it". I swear some of their design choices leave me scratching my head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts