Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard this is a common problem in the zx6. All the gears are fine except 2nd you can cruise slow in 2nd but as soon as you grab a fistfull it pops out of gear. Sometimes it will jump from 3rd to 2nd also. Do i just have to replace 2nd gear itself from being worn down or is there something else? Any guides on the net i can go to for reference thanks

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Well to tell you the truth, second gear is a problem for all bikes. It has the longest throw on the shaft and has the biggest angle on the drum.

There is no telling how many gears you need to replace but you can bet your ass its always in your best bet to just send it out to have it welded and undercut and replace the drum and all three shift forks. And the two shift fork shafts as well. A properly undercut trans will almost eliminate any problems from your lazy foot.

Good luck

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have the same problem on my '02 ZX-6R. Every once and a while when shifting into second it'll either not go in at all(though I felt it go into gear) or go in and immediately pop out again. This always results in an overrev, which makes me look like an idiot. It only happens when I'm getting on it, never when I'm just putsing around. I've read up on it a little and it doesn't seem like there's any easy/cheap fix. Either just suffer with it or get a new bike and hope it doesn't have the same problem!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, Wasnt my lazy foot lol i just bought the bike like that. I've never had it happen before just heard it was a common problem in the zx.

I'd like to get away from putting too much into it if i can i just wanna get it rideable for a spare bike and maybe rock the streets every now and then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts