Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got an 00 r1, runs great. i just did full tune up etc.. since i got the bike when its cold the motor is quiet besides normal valve tap etc.. once i get to 200 degrees i hear a slight knock/rattling from the right side of bike right near the timing chain/ frame slider area. this is where its loudest. it sounds almost like a slight rod knock type noise. its only at part throttle from 1-5k rpms it goes away as rpms climb. i suspect cam chain tensioner or cam chain. but if this was making the noise why would it only do it when the bike is 200 or above? ive heard a failing tensioner before and it usually rattles at any temp. i dont think its rod knock because when i put the stethascope on the block its not as loud . its loudest directly on the cam chain area. i have a video of the noise , is this normal of R1 or is it something i should be concerned about.. none of my other bikes where quite this loud. R1 knock - YouTube

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
those old tensioners are like a manual one. they don't lose tension because it's not using a spring for pressure. the newer bikes use oil psi.
but yours is done with a threaded rod. once the spring is released the rod cant back off.
you can turn it with a screwdriver to wind it back up and let it go again to drive the rod down some more or to make sure it's tight on the chain.
you'll see what Im talking about if you download the service manual.
it is probably a combination of a worn guide and stretched chain. how many miles? if your close to 30-40k it probably needs a new chain and guide.

if you can't line up the 3 timing marks the chain is stretched.

http://www.r1messagenet.com/howto/manuals/YZFR1-98.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
29k miles, im going to my job now to check into it more. if it is a worn chain etc is it gonna hurt anything or just be noisy?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i havent made any conclusions.. all i know is hopefully its not a rod knock starting. the fact that it only does it when its wam makes me wonder so i dont know.. messing with the cam tensioner didnt seem to do much

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I would pull the valve cover and timing cover and see if you can line up the timing marks on the cam sprockets and pickup rotor. if the cam sprockets line up but the crank sprocket is a bit past it's the chain.

I just went through this with my R6. it was noisy as hell too. the new chain quietened the bike and made it run a lot better.

and if it does all line up you can rule that out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts