Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
St. Petersburg, Florida. 32k Miles. $3900. Or Trade

My truck was just totaled so I need transportation now more than ever so I'm putting it back on the market. Someone please buy it before I change my mind again.

I am the second owner. I bought it in '05 with 21k. It now has only 32k. So you see I don't ride it very far before I park it. I am 6'5" tall and I thought about putting dirty bars on it. However, Instead of screwing up an excellent handling machine, I concluded I may as well just get something with forgiving geometry all the way around from the start.

For those that don't know, the 929 is fuel injected and makes a claimed 150hp yet weighs less than 400 lbs. Many feel Honda screwed this package up when they went to the 2004 1k's Then had oil consumption issues with those after that. So 929's are still highly praised and sought after.

This particular example has been stored indoors it's entire life. It is unmolested and unabused. I, as well as the PO, change the oil every 2500 with Honda HP-4 semi-syn. They only mods are 2bros pipe(nice and thoaty without being obnoxious), steel-braided brake lines, tinted windscreen, smaller turn signals, and special pearl white powder coat on the wheels. It has a recent gold chain and sprokets, yuasa battery, newer front pilot power, rear has another thousand or so remaining, new wheel bearings when I did the powder. I have all the original parts plus the factory painted rear seat cowl, and an extra front seat. This bike is stored in my living room.

I am looking for $3900.

Thank you.

David

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. This bike is ready to go.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump

Bump for lowered price $3900.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ToTheTop

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Lotta bike for not a lotta money. Good luck with the sale. Never heard a bad word about the 929's, other than they weren't 954's.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the 929/954 imho were built during the glory days at Honda. So much r&d money poured into the program, the bikes were built to a standard not to a price. Hell, Tadao Baba could ride any bike he wants today and still chooses to ride his 954. If I was in a better position financially, I would be keeping this bike to the end of time. Oh well, shit happens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That thing would sell quick on craigslist for that price...probably within hours.

That's what I thought too. Unfortunately, I've had it on CL for over a month now and have had exactly zero people come to look at it. I had one guy offer me 3k via email. No thanks. I'd rather just hold onto it if I don't get what I think is a great deal. I'm not sure what the problem is. I believe it to be priced more than fairly with the competition. Is it because it is not a 600 or a 1000 but rather a 929? Is it because the 954 is a little bit better and no one wants the lesser of the two Blades. Is it because it has 32k miles on it and some people think that's a lot for a superbike? Or is it just a soft economy and the people that are actually making money right now would rather buy new(er) and the people who aren't making shit are looking for scooters? Sure, I'd like to sell it to get a dual sport or a pick-up truck but if it doesn't sell, I'm not lowering the price any more. I know it's been well taken care of and have no doubt it would easily do 100k miles+

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Only because you ask.

Couple of things will contribute to you having almost zero chance of getting the price you ask.
--the bike is almost 14 years old and has a lot of miles (even if the bike has been meticulously maintained, this makes people nervous and less apt to make a multi thousand dollar purchase)
--that paticular bike is not in high demand
--we are still in a down economy, and people just don't have the extra cash to spend on a toy - yes, don't kid yourself, a sportbike is a toy to most
--gas is still near $4.00 per gallon, making the average Joe's budget stretch even further, thus depleting any extra cash that might be lying around
--every day that bike doesn't sell, it loses more value

Now, anything is possible, and a fool and his money are soon parted. And you can hold onto the bike thinking this will happen. But it'd be more realistic to to take that 3K that was offered if you truly want to sell the bike.

You're more than welcome to keep the price where it's at and let it sit here in the "for sale" section for as long as the other bikes listed that haven't sold in countless months. Or you could take the 3K and put some coin in your pocket. But the info above is truth. It sucks, but it is ultimately the truth.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Hate, hate, hate to say it but the boy does have a point. I have a humongous soft spot for the 929, I don't think they've made its better since (except the 954). But its old, and the youngsters who buy sportbikes want new as they can get. And it does have miles. Honestly, I myself probably wouldn't buy it, too damn many miles for it to get thrashed. No slight against you, yours, or your bike. I just wouldn't buy a sportbike with that kind of mileage unless I was Joe mechanic and could tell all the wear on the systems just by looking. I'm not, and I like to hedge my bets.

Good luck on your sale. I hope you're able to get something out of it with which you're happy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts