Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just bought new front and rear tires. I went from big tires to smaller on each. A whole new riding experience. Well i took my bike up ot 90+ mph and it started to lose stability. Previously i've been up to 120 mph with the bike feeling perfect.

I was wondering if there were any good ways to make sure my wheels are alighned correctly. Other than that i cant see why my bike felt like it would lose it if i went any faster. Maybe it was wind ill have to speed again to find out.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
You might want to use the method of stretching a piece of string parallell to the wheels and looking for an obvious difference, and also checking that your rear wheel is alighned straight in the swingarm - the marks aren't always perfect.

That said - check all the obvious things on the wheel install (including balance), and then consider why you changed tire sizes from the spec the chassis was designed for. If the problem still exists, try a quick wheel swap with a friend with the same model bike to see if the tire size is the culprit

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually, i bought STOCK size tires. The previous owner put on the over sized rear and front. Ill try the string thing.

no way i'd be able to find someone with my bike. Everybody and their momma's momma have gixxers or cbrs around here.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I use a laser level to check sprocket/chain alignment...

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
Check that your tires are ballanced correctly. You should also have adjustment indicators on each side of the rear axle, make sure the indicator is the same on both sides. This isn't "perfect" but it makes sure they're aligned close enough to not notice.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Going by the hash marks on my SV will give you wheel alignment that isn't even remotely close.

Measure from the middle of the swingarm pivot bolt (bolt that actually hold the swingarm on) to the middle of the rear axle. Both sides should measure out the same.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Accurate swingarm marks used to be unusual. Now defects are rare. You need to verify them the first time, but generally they are spot on.

By sighting down the top of a chain, across the orings between the links, you can see if your chain is straight. Or you can measure from the pivot. Or you can use a laser or straightedge (after removing the drive sprocket cover.)

In any event, your bike is unlikely to be crab-walking if your chain and frame are straight.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im a lil drunk/tipsy right now but tomrrow ill do the string thing and repost my findings. thanks for all the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts