Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some wondering. Why did they make bikes stall if u dont give it the proper gas/clutch ration when starting from zero? Anyone have any factual reasonings for this?

Maybe its just coincidental, maybe not. 2 times I've been at a stand still at red lights and I've just let go of the clutch. I remember wanting my hand free, my brain must of blanked and i just let go. I sure was glad the engine cut both times. lol that would of been some funny shit to see my bike fly into the intersection with me standing there looking stupid LOL :lao

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
They dont make bikes stall, it just stalls because you're engaging the clutch without giving it enough power to get under way. If you turned your idle speed way up and let the clutch out slow, the bike would probably take off.

My car will go if you just let the clutch out slow b/c it is a 4L engine so it has plenty of torque at idle.

Try www.howstuffworks.com for a better explanation.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
LOL at this thread!

Sportbikes have engines tuned for high torque at high rpms and have little to no power at idle. They also have sporty clutches that really dont slip when fully engaged. If you want to rest your hand at a stop light, put it in neutral.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Wow, the coincidence is freaky...

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eyespy said:
Wow, the coincidence is freaky...
i'm sensing some sarcasm here.

Yes i do use neutral, it was just those two times I wasnt thinkn and just let go. ill try cranking up my idle speed and see if my bike will take off without using any throttle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
SnookayDCC said:
i'm sensing some sarcasm here.

Yes i do use neutral, it was just those two times I wasnt thinkn and just let go. ill try cranking up my idle speed and see if my bike will take off without using any throttle.
if you turn up the idle it will take off with out throttle... but it would be unsafe to ride cuz you would not have any compression breaking. so when you let off the gas your bike would keep going.

·
Registered
74 Posts
SnookayDCC said:
I was doing some wondering. Why did they make bikes stall if u dont give it the proper gas/clutch ration when starting from zero? Anyone have any factual reasonings for this?
Snookay, I don't want to sound offensive, but I think you've missed some basics here in your motorcycle training. Try what you're inquiring about in a car with manual transmission, it's no different.

It makes no sense for you to go out and kick up your idle speed so you can perform, uh, "throttleless" starts.

·
Registered
471 Posts
hozhead said:
WOW!!
I have so many things to say but, you remember the old expression, 'If you don't have anything nice to say....'

So, :eatpop
maybe too much :bongs ?

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Dude, don't turn your idle up, it's SUPPOSED to make the bike stall if you let the clutch out and give no gas at idle. Leave your idle exactly where it's supposed to be, and just put it in neutral if you want your left hand back, and always give the proper amount of throttle to start out from a dead stop.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Should also be said that there is a difference between a V-twin motor and an inline 4/2. A v-twin you can just about let the clutch out and go (more like a car), the inline 4 you have to give it a decent amount of throttle and then let the clutch out.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Well, my SV actually stalls REALLY easily, I would say much more so than my ninja250!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no it's you guys are that taking what i said the wrong way. I didnt specify but i was just planning on turning up my idle to see if it would pull without gas and then putting back to normal. I just like 1st hand experience.

I tend to like it when my bike doesnt fly out from under me. :)

·
Supersport Batman
430 Posts
SnookayDCC said:
no it's you guys are that taking what i said the wrong way. I didnt specify but i was just planning on turning up my idle to see if it would pull without gas and then putting back to normal. I just like 1st hand experience.

I tend to like it when my bike doesnt fly out from under me. :)
Wait, i think im a bit lost. So instead of your biking flying out from under you into the intersection, you would rather you and the bike slowly BOTH be going into the intersection? Or do you plan on keeping your hand on the brake or somethin? weird.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
darkfal25 said:
Wait, i think im a bit lost. So instead of your biking flying out from under you into the intersection, you would rather you and the bike slowly BOTH be going into the intersection? Or do you plan on keeping your hand on the brake or somethin? weird.

Noooo! At first i was thinking you dont have a bike but i see you do. With my bike at it's normal idle speed if i just release the clutch the bike cuts off which = me not going into intersection. Why would I go slowly into an intersection? You should know this already, im assuming u have a lot of riding experience based on ur big boi bike.

I hardly ever use my brakes when im stopped, unless im on a hill :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
What exactly is the question? It seems to be you are asking if it is a coincidence that the bike will stall if you suddenly let out the clutch lever and don't feed it any throttle. It's not a random coincidence. The outcome it is the direct consequence of the action.

·
Registered
162 Posts
To the original poster
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/captain_mail/root/april/****.jpg

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SurfNSB said:
To the original poster
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/captain_mail/root/april/****.jpg

A true ****** is a person that would take the time to post that stupidness. :bitchslap

EYE ~ "Why did they make bikes stall if u dont give it the proper gas/clutch ration when starting from zero? Anyone have any factual reasonings for this?" I was wondering if that was a planned out safety feature or possibly just a coincidence that it's a safety feature.

·
Registered
910 Posts
It is the mechanical result of an improper use of the clutch and throttle contols.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts