Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, ill just post about it :P

Votes: 3 13.6%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well in topic in the New Riders section. People were talkn about using Front & REAR brakes in an emergency situation. Found here http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=283464&page=3&pp=15
<<=== look near the end of the page.

I've never seen anyone post about I wrecked because my front brake wasnt good enough; my front brake locked up; i endoed into a wreck; etc... I always read people say "i squeezed the brakes and rear locked up then i went down."

I believe it would be bad to use rear in an emergency, according to what ppl post on several forums.

It's quite possible people who avoided wrecks have used both brakes in the emergency but just dont post about it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The thing is that the rear wheel locking up can be a result of using too much front brake. I've had the rear lock on me in a panic situation at 70 MPH; I was barely on the rear brake at all. What happens is that when you're braking hard with the front brake - which is what does nearly all your stopping, of course - weight transfers forward. As a result, you get little to no weight on the rear wheel during a hard stop, making it lock very easily.

Incidentally, I've locked my rear many times by accident, and have never felt like it was going to make me lose control, although the 70 MPH one did cause the rear to weave around a bit. I did lock the front once for a fraction of a second at 20 MPH as I was testing my brakes after doing work on them. That freaked me out much more. Personally, I use both brakes all the time. I figure you may not need that extra power from the rear all the time, but if you're not used to it, you're not going to be able to use it when you do need it.

That's my take on things.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The two times someone has pulled out in front of me at 40mph I've locked the rear tire. The first one wasn't that bad. Just a little ass shake and I went and did my thing. Though the last time... The rear of the bike was all over the place and it threw my feet off and sent me foward with a jolt. I didn't go down though. Luck, a very forgiving bike, or maybe a dash of skill I dono. I think the rear brake is the last thing you want to use when you have to stop in a hurry.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Car pulled in front, in the wet. Used front and rear, stopped....just. Back locked & got all squirrely but i stayed upright. Would be less than a week ago....

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn thus far i've only had 1 car pull out in front of me. Didnt brake at all luckily it all turned out fine.

Kaiser have u ever felt the rear lock up before. Possibly people who feel that get scared and Make the bike go down. I've felt my rear lock up, it felt very wierd and scary. If i would have shifted my weight I probably would of fell. Maybe thats what ppl do when they feel the rear lock.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
It can vary depending on the situation but in most cases you are supposed to use both front and rear.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have had a few emergency stops where I used both but end up locking the rear. It kills the motor since if it is a true emergency you wont care about whether you pull the clutch right away. Kept the rear locked, stopped fine. Start bike and proceed.

Im throttle happy like crazy, replacing my tires with 3700 miles on my bike.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've been in a couple of situations, both with different results. During the first situation I was riding on the freeway (roadway was wet from some rain the night before), and I was about to get off so I was riding in the slow lane. A truck from the lane next to me cut over into my lane and at the same time traffic came to a sudden standstill so the truck slammed on it's brakes in addition to cutting me off. There was no shoulder on my right and traffic was completely stopped in the lane on my left so I 'hit' the brakes (mostly rear I think) and the back tire locked up with the bike fishtailing like I was on ice. Unfortunately I tried to stick with it and once the bike got sideways it threw me over to my right side.

During the second situation I (and a couple of friends) was splitting some completely stopped traffic on PCH down in Laguna when a tourist in the right lane opened a door on the drivers side as I was already approaching the back bumper of the car in question. I tried to apply both brakes but only managed to use the front because my back tire ended up coming so far off the ground it threw both my feet off the pegs. At that point I was staring straight down at the pavement about to go all the way over, but somehow managed to bring that endo back down to Earth. Didn't hit the door or crash trying to avoid it, although I came extremely close to kissing the pavement thanks to that front brake.

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
I always hit the front brakes.. and then go for the rears if it isnt enough.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
I would say that in EMERGENCY stopping situations, dont even worry about the rear brake... Your front brake has about 4 times the stopping power of the rear. At maximum braking, the rear tire is actually coming off the ground and providing ZERO stopping power.
Once your rear tire comes off the ground, it will lock up if you have any pressure on the rear pedal, and can cause you to lose control.. Also, your foot doesnt have NEARLY the dexterity of your right hand, so you cant modulate your rear brake pressure with anything approaching whats required.
Get on your front brake, and spend ALL your concentration on getting to that maximum braking point, and not crossing it.

Edit: Only applies to Dry pavement. On wet pavement, or less than Emergency stop, I always use both brakes.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Duh? You should've rephrased the question: Would you like to stop in a small distance, medium distance, or it took forever to stop.

Of course you use both brakes.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
SnookayDCC said:
Kaiser have u ever felt the rear lock up before. Possibly people who feel that get scared and Make the bike go down. I've felt my rear lock up, it felt very wierd and scary. If i would have shifted my weight I probably would of fell. Maybe thats what ppl do when they feel the rear lock.
Sometimes the rear will lock if you downshift from 2nd gear into 1st gear when the machine is moving around 10-15 MPH. Comes a little loose, but then it evens out. Happens occasionally, esp. when the surface conditions are slicker than usual.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
mikem317 said:
Duh? You should've rephrased the question: Would you like to stop in a small distance, medium distance, or it took forever to stop.

Of course you use both brakes.
+1 Even a locked brake provides more stopping power than a rolling tire. Everyone needs to learn to use both brakes effectively. And anyone who can't control a rear wheel skid (on dry pavement at the very least) is simply not an accomplished rider.

Then, if you want, you can use the front brake only. But if you do, that'll be your habit and your emergency stopping distance will be increased.

I hear this all the time. Sportbikers claim that only the front brake should be used and cruiser riders think only the back brake should be used. Both are wrong.

Not everything about racing transfers honestly to the street.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jim schmidt said:
Then, if you want, you can use the front brake only. But if you do, that'll be your habit and your emergency stopping distance will be increased.

I hear this all the time. Sportbikers claim that only the front brake should be used and cruiser riders think only the back brake should be used. Both are wrong.
Lets just forget about stopping distance all together. Say you'll stop in time using front only, rear only or both. I'm just curious as to how many usually use that rear and when it locks up it causes the rider to go down prematurely.

I'm just guessing that alot of riders brake with both but when the rear starts bouncing and/or they hear it screetching they panic. So in essence using both brakes is causing more people to go down. I'm just basing this off on what other people post about. Maybe we all could benefit from praticing a rear wheel lock.

The poll isnt helping to learn anything because all the people who posted that rear locked up and they went down arnt even voting.

Fred said:
I always hit the front brakes.. and then go for the rears if it isnt enough.
This method sounds the best to me. Wonder why i never thought of it.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
cought gravel on the side of the road on a turn, and just lost the rear end

1 - 16 of 16 Posts