User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Back Marker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

7R Carb Synch.

I posted this in "Help me fix it", but then I found the model specific forum and thought I'd throw this in here in the off chance someone here has done this on their 7R?

Hi,

I got a carb synch tool today, and decided to give it a crack. Turns out, it is pretty easy, but I've got some questions I can't quite figure out, even with the Haynes and Clymer manual.

For some reason, cylinder 2 was the only one with no vacuum hose, just a screw plug. So, I continued on anyway, and found the other three all out of whack, to which I then wondered, "Well, which one should I set the other ones to?" I decided to set the three of them (didn't have a fitting for cyl. 2) to the 4th carb (rider's perspective) and I remember reading somewhere once the 4th carb is the "base" carb?)), put everything back together, and it does seem to run noticably smoother, but it sort of bothers me that I skipped #2. Then again, I only took it for a test ride around the block. I suppose I'll get the fitting for it, and do it again, but I figured I'd ask here to see if there's some reason #2 has a plug, maybe that one is somehow permanently set??? I , don't have enough experience working on carbs....!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 04:42 PM
SBN Rookie

if it is a real plug and not a "screw plug" then i'd say 2 is the base carb.
by screw plug do you mean a plug that screws in or a plug not allowing a screw to be inserted.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffay
if it is a real plug and not a "screw plug" then i'd say 2 is the base carb.
by screw plug do you mean a plug that screws in or a plug not allowing a screw to be inserted.
Plug that screws in

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 09:25 AM
SBN Rookie

#4 is the base carb on my 92 7r

perhaps you just don't have a vacuum hose on #2. they sell fittings to go into the screw holes. do a search on here or hit up your favorite stealership and they'll be able to at least get one ordered for you.

what kind of carb synch did you get?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffay

what kind of carb synch did you get?

I don't know, but it's dangerous as all hell, and looks like something you'd find in a high school science lab from the 50's.

First, I actually had to pour the Mercury into this reservoir, in which these 4 long plastic pipes stick into. The pipes are like 24 inches each, attached to this white metal backing with benchmark ticks every inch or so. Pouring in the Mercury was fun, had vinyl gloves on, and did it REAL SLOW, sometimes, drop by drop, as Hg, even if your skin touches it, stays IN YOU FOREVER, and is cumulative.

You then attach these clear vinyl-like rubber hoses to the top of each pipe, and stick the other end into the vacuum port...

What gets me is the Hg reservoir, it's plastic, and the hole you pour the Hg into is covered by this crappy rubber plug, that doesn't really give you a whole lot of confidence, such that I wrapped a piece of electrical tape around the whole reservoir, covering the plug just in case...

You get what you pay for I guess, it was like $60 at the local shop... Don't think it's a "name" brand either... lol
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 07:34 PM
SBN Rookie

sounds like motion pro carb synch to me... they are becoming outlawed because of the mercury (at least the shipment of)

they are not all that dangerous if you handle them w/ care. no upside down movements or shaking and you'll be fine.

mercury carb stix actually work better than the morgan carbtune on the smaller displacement bikes like my 73 honda cb350f cafe... there's not enough vacuum for the morgan model but, w/ the mercury stix i'm able to synch easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in