ZX-12R still the king? - Sportbikes.net
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ZX-12R still the king?

With the next generation of sportbikes, is the Zx-12r still the king? or does it matter? Just curious about why you purchased a zx-12r. Was it because the bike fit your style of riding, or because it was the king of the hyperbikes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 12:39 PM
World Superbike Champion

It was never the king....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Busa SE
It was never the king....
Yeah, king of what?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

My fellow motorcycle brethen, it was not my intention to offend. I simply was inquiring about "why" people made the decision to purchase a
ZX-12R. No need to get your panties in a wad...
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 08:23 PM

You might want to try Bikeland, it has a forum for 12 riders. I bought my 00 because it was simply...the most powerfull bike available at the time. Sure there are Busa riders that will say that even though their Busa makes less power they can still beat you in a race, OK. Also the 12 was never as popular as the Busa so you don't see them everywhere. Then again the Busa does have the large hump which can help hide some of the really HUGE asses you see riding Busa's. So, if you are a really huge ass the Busa is the bike for you. The other thing a typical Busa rider can do is add an extension, 6" to 10"... to the swingarm I mean. Then he can he can do really cool burn-outs without scaring himself. Maybe even add a TURBO so he can do more bigger burnouts or, or even add a DVD player to the giant hump or an air ride suspension with remote start. Of course, Chrome or polish everything to go with the glitter paint.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeacon801
My fellow motorcycle brethen, it was not my intention to offend. I simply was inquiring about "why" people made the decision to purchase a
ZX-12R. No need to get your panties in a wad...

No wad here. I just wanted to know the king of what? Its a great bike and there is no shame in owning one. I own an '03 R1 and I know its not the "King" of the liter bikes for that particular year, but I'm not all upset about it. Quite simply I think that the zx12r vs. hayabusa argument does a good job of showing that peak horsepower is only a part of the equation and is not the end all especially in straightline speed. In most articles I've seen, the 12 makes more peak horsepower, but makes less average horsepower from 9000 rpms on up and makes less torque in the same range. Add into the equation the busas better aerodynamics and it generally wins a stock vs stock top speed run. Now the question arises, is that the only thing that is important? I don't know, but a lot of those same articles say that if you plan on taking one of these beasts to an actual motorcycle track(on of those places where you actually have to negotiate curves!!!) then the 12 is probably the bike for you. Anyway, I own neither, and respect both.

Few links
Various Zx12r vs. Hayabusa comparisions

Best busa vs 12r video I've seen.

Last edited by R1Rookie; 12-22-2004 at 07:51 AM. Reason: added links
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeacon801
With the next generation of sportbikes, is the Zx-12r still the king? or does it matter? Just curious about why you purchased a zx-12r. Was it because the bike fit your style of riding, or because it was the king of the hyperbikes?
I have yet to ride one of the new liter bikes.

Statistically they are supior to us big boys (ZX12R & GSX1300R) in both hp and weight (but not in torque ).

My guess is it would depend on what you are looking for.
I live in Florida... lots of long straights with some decent curves here and there.
I choose a larger bike.
Some who ride in areas that are more twistie in nature will likely prefer the nimbleness of the slightly smaller liter bikes.

Personally, I really enjoy my Busa, as I am sure the ZX12R owners do.
I get a sense of satisfaction from staying right behind the liter bikes through the curves (holding on for dear life), then blasting past then on the straights.

But to answer your original question... Yes. IMHO, the Big Boys still reign supreme... especially above 100.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 10:42 AM
how bout dem deadskins

i dont discrimahate & think both bikes are the shit & just plain love sportbikes since i was a youngon'

virgins aren't always better........
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Everyone, I thank you for the advice and opinions. I finally had the opportunity to ride both the 'Busa and ZX-12r (as well at the R1). All three had their good and bad points. When all was said and done, I bought the '01 ZX-12r because it just seemed to feel the best. The 'busa was a mad fast and solid riding bike, but the '12 just seemed to "fit" me better. Riding the R1 reminded me of a g/f I used to have. If you attention wandered for an instant while riding her, you were likely to get hurt...
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 07:55 PM

a guy I used to ride with had a 12R(obviously I have a Busa). Every time we would go out riding sooner or later we would line up weather rolling or from a stop. It was a race that nobody would ever put there money on because it was so close every single time that a flea's fart would determine the winner. I would win sometimes and he would win sometimes. I personally think they are just about equal, they both have some good points over the other bike and some weak points(the Busa feels more powerful down low, the 12R seams to have more midrange, the Busa is more comfortable and 12R handles better) again this is my opinion. The only reason I got the Busa over the 12R was because(you better sit down for this one) I think it looks better.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 08:08 PM

anybody feel like postin' a pic of a 12R? so i can see what y'all are takin' about! i know what a busa looks like, thanks
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRevin954
anybody feel like postin' a pic of a 12R? so i can see what y'all are takin' about! i know what a busa looks like, thanks
step 1 go to www.google.com

step 2 hit the images tab

step 3 type in ZX12R

step 4 hit the search button

step 5 smile and be happy

ok, i'm being a smart ass, here's a link http://www.motocykly.webzdarma.cz/obrazky/ZX12.jpg
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRevin954

Here she is... the sweetness

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:03 PM

man that thing looks good in all black.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:49 PM

man, real nice lookin' masheeeeeen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in