Sport Bikes banner

FZ6 to R6 Upgrade?

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  southernFZ6 
#1 · (Edited)
Been away from this forum for 3 years hehehe...

So I've been riding my silver/black 2004 FZ6 for a while now. Its my first street bike. I really enjoy it. It has plenty of power for me riding solo, with a passenger not so much, but thats not often. I'm a very defensive rider and never had an accident/issue (knocks on wood). Can't wait til the weather clears up.

I REALLY like my peaky R6 engine, but I've been looking for potential upgrade candidates for "track level knee dragging performance". Slipper-clutch is mandatory, better brakes, suspension, prefer an analog tach. I doubt I'll install aftermarket upgrades because I like stealthy stock exhaust. The R6 is looking appealing.

But I'm in no hurry and willing to wait for the 2010 R6 (in black). I'm hoping it comes with D-MODE, projector bulb styling, and the new instrumentation. It would be nice if it came with the new crossplane crankshaft, but I've read Yamaha reps say its not neccessary on the R6.

Not sure if I'll keep my FZ6 or not. Any comments?

Ride safe!

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey man, i had a black 2008 fz6 for about a year, i did a sh*! load of mods to it to make it the bike i wanted, over all everytime i looked at it i wasnt as thrilled as i wanted to be, finially i got the courage and went to the hom and purched a 2009 white and red R6, it was the best decision i have ever made in my life, everytime i walk outside an see my bike i am more that amped, plus the performance is incomparable to the weak still fz6. Ull love the r6 man, dont secund guess it.

IF YOU DONT RIDE A YAMAHA UR NOT A MAN

#5 ·
insurance

Not bad if you find the right place, its 300 more than my fz6 was just cuz of the fairings and instead of sport standard its a super sport but now i pay 1800 a year, through Farmers insurince out of culver city..... other places like state farm, girco and everything else wanted 5000, o yea my 1800 is full coverage too! not bad at all, any more questions let me know....

#10 ·
Not bad if you find the right place, its 300 more than my fz6 was just cuz of the fairings and instead of sport standard its a super sport but now i pay 1800 a year, through Farmers insurince out of culver city..... other places like state farm, girco and everything else wanted 5000, o yea my 1800 is full coverage too! not bad at all, any more questions let me know....
jesus. thats a lot of money. Glad I'm not 19.

Full coverage on my 03 is $580 a year, with layover period november through february. Thats with grange

#7 ·
[srry not farmers, its formost insurace..... but ya man the jump from the fz to r6 is real, it didnt take me long to get used to it and now splitting lanes or zipping away from friends is not a problem, the power is increased but nothing to be scared of.. and the riding position is also nothing to worry about, i first though my back would be hurting after rides but it is surprisingly comfortable, also if you feeling tense you can just take you hand off and keep you trottle hand on and you able to sit up almost straight..... there soooo beautiful, and are an amazing street bike, ya and its a race bike so when the times comes youl smoke almost anything.. besides an r1 which are stupid and deadly! but sick haha

#11 ·
All good and True comments. All I have ever owned is Yamaha 3-wheelers,4-wheelers, dirt bikes, and street bikes. I currently own a 2004 FZ6 ( blue and Silver ) and a 2008 R6 ( Special Edition Cadium Yellow with Flames ). True that the R6 is not as uncomfortable as it may appear but it is not for long distance riding or touring. Two totally different machines for two different purposes. Given your comments about not being amped up enough about the FZ6 then get the R6. It will get you amped for sure.....it's a screamer!! I mainly bought mine for the track. Ride it some on the street but once I have put track plastics on it stays in track mode for a while.

But like the other guy said - Keep both if possible. Sure glad I did since they are not going to offer the FZ6 anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.