Another Disappointment with Sportbike Track Gear - Sportbikes.net
Vendor/Dealer Comments Members, do you have something to say about a vendor, dealership or shop?

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Another Disappointment with Sportbike Track Gear

Well -
After my experience this week, I guess my name can be added to the list people who've been disappointed with the business practices of this company.

How Sportbike Track Gear can continue to operate with the following business model is beyond me:

01. List item as available/in stock on the website
02. Have the customer go through all the steps to process and pay for order then send confirmation emails and debit amount from credit card
03. Sit on order an additional 24 hours
04. Have customer send an email to [email protected] to find out what if any tracking information is available
05. Have a member of the STG team reply back with "I believe they will be here tomorrow and they should ship A.S.A.P"
06. Allow 12 more hours to elapse and have customer send another email asking about Invoice number ###### but don't respond
07. Have the customer eventually call 1 888-784-4327 (since most issues can be resolved more effectively with phone calls. according to information either listed on the STG website and in varying posts on numerous motorcycle related forums)
08. Have the customer ask the STG customer service representative about Invoice Number ######
09. Have the STG customer service representative reply back with "What would you like to know about this order?
10. Have the customer reply "When is it going to ship? I placed the order early Monday morning" (day of this call being Thursday)
11. Have the STG customer service representative reply "Hmm. That should've shipped out already"
12. Have the STG customer service representative place the customer on hold while he investigates
13. Have the STG customer service representative come back on the line and state there was problem with the supplier not getting the product to them. (a bizarre statement considering the fact that the STG website still continues to list them as available)
14. Have the STG customer representative state that he will place a call to their XXXXXX company guy to find out where the miss was and get the item brought in ASAP. STG customer service representative believes the item could be in today (Thursday) at earliest or the next day.
15. Have the customer ask when he could expect the item to arrive
16. Have the STG customer service representative look at his FedEx shipping calendar and state "Monday"
17. Have the customer explain the frustration that presents in this situation
18. Have the STG customer representative come back and offer to have the item scheduled for FedEx Saturday delivery. (An acceptable offer deemed by the customer)
19. Send the customer an email approximately 5 hours later stating their order has been fulfilled with a tracking number (with date of delivery not yet known)
20. Have customer receive a FedEx "trackingupdates" email listing Monday, July 30 as the scheduled date of delivery

Last edited by TheXIIIth; 07-27-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo / condense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 01:44 AM
Habitual line-stepper

Thanked 1,265 Times in 643 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If they are using an external supplier, like they do for a LOT of items, they have to go on the word of the supplier as to whether or not something is in stock. They really don't have a lot of control over that. MANY things they keep in stock. I've been through their warehouse myself many times. But a lot of stuff is still drop-shipped or brought in stock when a customer orders it.

So let me get this straight... you ordered something on the internet, and got it in a week. And the place actually picked up the phone and was willing to work with you on it.

I understand that they said they'd get it to you saturday and it might not come till Monday....

But is that REALLY worth starting a thread to bash them over? Just call them back and say "hey, it says monday, are you sure you picked saturday delivery?"

Sorry you didn't get your stuff in 3 days. Good luck finding ANY website that can work with as many suppliers as they do and get everything to people in 3 days 100% of the time.

Meanwhile, I think I'll place an order for my new helmet from them in the morning.

Moderator of Rider's Gear and Help me Fix it.

PM me if you have questions, concerns, or beer you need to give away.
The Following User Says Thank You to kevinwilly For This Useful Post:
coopduc (12-25-2012)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:57 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 4,390 Times in 2,184 Posts

I really hate when companies have items listed in stock when they are not actually in stock. That is frustrating, whether they have control over it or not. That Saturday shipping mistake also sounds frustrating.

However, everything else sounds about right to me. Your complaint could have been more succinctly put in a couple of sentences. I'm not saying that you don't have a valid complaint about the shipping and falsely labeled stocking status, but your post comes across as overly dramatic.

STG is one of the few motorcycle companies that I've always had a good experience with, including when I've had returns to make and special situations. They've always worked with me and made the process pretty painless. Their customer service is actually what has kept me a customer there.

Call them in the morning and let them know about their shipping mistake. Hopefully they will fix it since they made the offer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IBA# 56,419

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

An external supplier?

Allow me to shed some more light on this subject then.

The item that I purchased was a pair of Knox Handroid Pod motorcycle gloves.And like I said in my previous post, their website indicated that they were available. Along with them being an authorized Knox dealer and having the "best customer service in the business"

It also mentions that it ships in 1 business day.
Did you read in my post where I mentioned that I actually called and spoke to someone? And did you read the part where he stated that he wasn't sure why they hadn't actually shipped yet? Which would lead me to believe that had I not called, I'd most likely still be waiting for a reply to the last email I sent.

But since some will say it's not STG's fault, it's an issue with the external supplier and that drop shipping is the norm - allow me to show you what 25 minutes of Google searches reveals.

If you go to the main Knox Armour UK website and do some searching you'll find that Knox Armor USA is the sole distributor of Knox products here in the USA.

You can note that they share the same SKU and are also listed as being in stock.

Now here is where it gets interesting.
Let's take a look at Knox Armor USA's address and information

Now if you've ever ordered anything from STG or live in that area, Mound Rd. should look real familiar to you.

It would because both Knox Armor USA and STG are on the same road

In fact -
Using the get directions button on the Knox Armor USA website shows just how close they are to each other

Also found during my were items showing even more of a connection between STG and Knox Armor USA.

Knox Armor USA is also known as Two Twenty Motorsports, LLC as noted with one of the Google search returns (linkedin)

I've seen the owner's name show up a couple of times during the course of my search.
It actually turned up in a motorcycle race related forum

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...PS/STGcap8.jpg

It would appear that the owner of Two Twenty Motorsports/Knox Armor USA is also a partner and or an employee of STG as well.

Confirmed in a statement by the STG founder himself in that same forum thread

Now with that said -
kevinwilly, your statement about external suppliers no longer carries that much weight any more.
I think we have totally different views on good customer service. If you're happy with the customer having to do the leg work, sending emails and getting only one response or are happy to make all the phone calls yourself to bring about resolution - Good Luck with the purchase of your new helmet. I suggest you call first to see whether they have it in house or if an external supplier will hold up delivery.

Has anyone ever tried to change a shipping status on a package after it's been picked up and processed by FedEx? I've never had any success with doing that on a personal level and I've been dealing with them through work 15+ years.

And the website I think you're talking about kevinwilly is B&H Photo. I use to do wedding and event videography and I've been purchasing items from them for years. If you want a stellar online purchasing experience - give them a try. You'll start comparing all of your online purchases to them afterwards, I guarantee it.

In closing I'll note that this isn't my first order from STG. However, I'm noticing that with each order I place it takes longer and longer to process and fulfill them.

Problems and situations like this are supposed to be a thing of the past. According to the owner at least

Yet they still exist

Last edited by TheXIIIth; 07-27-2012 at 06:51 AM. Reason: typo / condensed
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 06:04 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Damn it took a whole week to ship? First world problems..
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:41 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 4,463 Times in 2,435 Posts
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwilly View Post
If they are using an external supplier, like they do for a LOT of items, they have to go on the word of the supplier as to whether or not something is in stock. They really don't have a lot of control over that. But a lot of stuff is still drop-shipped or brought in stock when a customer orders it.

Kevin nailed it

More and more companies are really just a store front that rely on drop shipments from 3PLs or fulfillment centers

There is a big advantage for the customer, a seller can offer far greater inventory than they could ever afford to stock and the product turns over more often so you get newer, fresher product

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Last edited by F4sSprintST; 07-27-2012 at 07:44 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4sSprintST View Post
Kevin nailed it

More and more companies are really just a store front that rely on drop shipments from 3PLs or fulfillment centers

Their external supplier for Knox is also one of their employees and or partners. (Either in the same building or right down the road, literally)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 AM
World 500 GP Champion

A 3PL is a 3rd party logistics company

For example, UPS does 3PL - they will warehouse a manufacturers product around the country and fulfill orders. This gives the manufacturers dozens of warehouse locations very close to customers without all the overhead

Makes it much easier to get you product the next day. Keeps the cost down too

However if it's a 3PL or the manufacturer holding the inventory, you have dozens of companies relying on that inventory. It's possible they had it in stock but a Revzilla order snatched it first

So why you have a much broader selection than you would have this is also why when one store is out of a product pretty much every store is out

Last edited by F4sSprintST; 07-27-2012 at 07:59 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:11 AM
World 500 GP Racer

This happens pretty often. I ordered some Held gloves from Kneedraggers that said they were in stock, turns out they were on backorder. Called Revzilla who had them in stock and ordered from them after cancelling my KD order.

Same thing going on for me with CompAcc right now too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

I always err on the side of awesome.
Touring on Inappropriate Equipment since 2008
[COLOR="Red"]
58 Forever...[/COLOR]
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

I certainly appreciate the deeper understanding I now have with 3PL. Thanks F4sSprintST

I don't have any issues with items being fulfilled by third parties. My issue lies with the omission or misrepresentation of facts which keep me from making informed decisions and purchases. If it's listed as being in stock and available, as the consumer, I should be able rely on that fact.
Now if in this situation I actually needed and ordered something critical like brake rotors or lines instead of gloves and needed them to be delivered prior to a Saturday track event - I'd be SOL in this case. Not only that, it would be likely that I would lose money for track fees as well.

I don't see how it would take that much effort for STG or any other company that uses 3PL or third party fulfillment to list that information on the product page. Amazon does it and their SKU counts are probably astronomical
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:32 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheXIIIth View Post
I don't have any issues with items being fulfilled by third parties. My issue lies with the omission or misrepresentation of facts which keep me from making informed decisions and purchases. If it's listed as being in stock and available, as the consumer, I should be able rely on that fact. l
I'm certainly in agreement, sometimes your orders are critical on timing
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Habitual line-stepper

Thanked 1,265 Times in 643 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Look, man- I don't know what to tell you. Like Sprint said, if they ARE the sole distributor of all Knox products, then they are the ones drop shipping them for every other company that sells them in the US.

It's possible that your gloves were grabbed by another website, like he said. I honestly don't know what to tell you.

It sounds like you had a bit of an annoying supplier issue. That REALLY sucks. But I don't think it's worth creating a thread bashing the company over. It's not like they didn't answer the phone or screwed you out of money.

Yes- I do know these guys personally. You mentioned mound rd in Shelby Twp. That's where I grew up. I went to high school with a few of the guys that work there and I've been to the owners house more than once.

I know these are all good guys, and customer service truly IS their number one priority. But you can't even imagine how much business they do every day. It's kind of insane, actually.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Thankfully that's the exception and not the rule.

Moderator of Rider's Gear and Help me Fix it.

PM me if you have questions, concerns, or beer you need to give away.
The Following User Says Thank You to kevinwilly For This Useful Post:
bryan j (07-27-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in