Sportbikes.net

Sportbikes.net (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/)
-   On The Track (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/track/)
-   -   Considering my first trackday - Pitt-Race 7/20/13 (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/track/472569-considering-my-first-trackday-pitt-race-7-20-13-a.html)

mpusch 05-23-2013 02:28 PM

Considering my first trackday - Pitt-Race 7/20/13

Anyone else going to this one? It'd be my first.

Trying to think this whole thing out, my friend won't be able to join me at this one so I can't even split costs. It's a 250 mile trip from my house, and I'm thinking I would just ride down there. Putting it in the back of a truck would rack up a considerable gas bill. So far my expected tab for the weekend is looking like this:

-Gas for getting there via riding and using at the track - $70
-Trackday (through NESBA, including membership) - $190
-Hotel (2 nights?) - $170
-Two piece leather suit (not sure about renting and prices, might be an option) - $200/$250
-Boots - $150
-Having to walk back to Buffalo after dumping the bike - priceless

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm pretty strapped for cash.

blackripley 05-23-2013 04:14 PM

DO NOT RIDE to a track day. It is just a bad idea.
Buy used gear(or borrow), you should be able to find it cheap. Tires are VARY important they need to have at least 50% on them. Food and water at the track you might have to bring in your own.

mpusch 05-23-2013 05:35 PM

Yeah its definitely not ideal to ride down. Just the 70+ extra in gas sucks. I'll have to see.

I'm definitely looking for used gear.

Tony216 05-24-2013 06:56 AM

Don't stay in a hotel. Borrow a tent and buy an air mattress.

Also, post on the NESBA board that you're looking to ride share.

You're lucky that you have a track that close. It cost me over $100 in gas yesterday just to take my race bike the mechanic.

Dem0nDuck 05-24-2013 07:02 AM

If you put the bike in the back of the truck you can possibly find a cheap trailer rental and have more comfort at a cheaper price than a hotel. Just a little popup would do you good I would guess.

S3aturnR 05-24-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpusch (Post 5020169)
Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm pretty strapped for cash.

riding to a track day is definitely NO JOKE and nothing to be considered lightly. cracking up the bike while you're AT the track day is just the tip of the iceberg. chances are, you'll be fine and won't fall off. the trick will be riding 250 miles home after feeling like you just got your ass beat from riding the track all day.

i have made this promise to myself to aid fellow track riders; if you ride to the track, i will help you go get gas, food, whatever if you're pitted next to me while you're there. i'm sure any serious track rider would do the same.

that said, riding to/from a track day is not really something a new(ish) rider wants to be doing. you are setting yourself up for failure by inviting mr murphy (and his law) to accompany you.

i would recommend trying to find a ride-share or something. you can save money by pitching a tent at the track and camping there. or, just divert money you would've spent anyway into sharing costs with another rider for travel expenses.

but, like i said before; you pit next to me and ride to/from the track, i'll help you out as much as i can. i'll be at grattan for the weekend of 6/8...

s3aturnr

mpusch 05-24-2013 10:54 PM

Thanks guys, I'm probably gonna go with the non-hotel option. Probably the easiest way to save cash, and it won't really bother me. Put that towards the truck gas instead. This way i can bring more tools, equipment, and food too. It really just makes a lot more sense.

I keep hearing how addicting this can be, can't wait for my first taste of it.

Dem0nDuck 05-25-2013 03:33 AM

Consider a trailer for the bike. Uhaul charges like 15 dollars a day for a bike trailer. Putting the bike in the truck isnt bad if you have good ramps to do it and such but.... I have very good ramps and still rent a trailer if im only going to be gone a day or 2 and not pulling a camper. It is just so much nicer to load and unload onto a trailer.

TCormier 05-26-2013 01:22 PM

Ugh, I haven't done a track day in about a month, I'm having huge withdrawals!

That being said, don't ride it there. I know way too many people who have made this mistake.

kruizen 05-26-2013 08:43 PM

I'll be up there for both days also. So if you need anything at the track please ask. My family and I will also be camping at the track.

Please don't ride your bike to the track.

blackripley 05-26-2013 09:40 PM

I also for got to mention, unless you are a true track veteran, I would not go alone. Try to hook up with some one who will be there. Like kruizen.
A track day can be like running a marathon wile on crack. At the end of the day you will have nothing left.
read this:Racetrack Day Motorcycle Preparation - Sport Rider

mpusch 05-28-2013 09:23 AM

Yeah, ideally I'd have a friend coming with me, but he can't get off work. I'd love to meet up with any other members who are there. I've been at a couple car trackdays (haven't driven in one), but it would be nice to know someone who really knows what they're doing.

And yes, I have decided that if I go I'll be grabbing one of Uhaul's motorcycle trailers. Ability to bring more equipment, food, tools, etc as well.

kruizen 05-28-2013 06:51 PM

When you decide your going post up here and I'll send you my contact info. We Will be getting up there around 5-6 Friday night. Will be happy to assist and get you pointed in the right direction.

There will probably be a meet and greet Saturday night.

mpusch 06-12-2013 08:56 AM

I feel kind of bad considering how much assistance was offered to me, but I won't be attending this trackday after all. I ended up purchasing a new bike, and put the money towards that instead. Thank you to all who helped. I'll probably have to wait until next year to get on the track.

kruizen 06-13-2013 06:36 AM

No biggey, you know that the support is there for when you decide to do your first day.

My biggest regret is that I didn't do my first track day earlier in my life.