Big and tall and wanting to learn track riding - Sportbikes.net
Track Time-101 Information and advice about getting on a road course yourself.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
SBN Newb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Big and tall and wanting to learn track riding

So Iím 47 years old 6í5 260lbs and would love to learn to ride track. Hopefully Iím not to old to learn. No desire to race just do track days. I live in Southern Utah so Las Vegas would be the closest track to me. I actually work for the Fire Department in LA County stationed in Lancaster which is basically where Willow Springs is so I have track options. Iíve never really ridden a track unless you consider riding the corkscrew at Laguna Seca once while working the Amgen Tour of California. Haha. But in all fairness I wasnít going fast and was only one the track for a short section of it. But ever since then Iíve had a desire to learn to ride track.

Iíve been riding for over 30 years. First bike was an 87 Honda Hurricane then a 90 GSXR 750 and also a 92 GSXR 600. Loved riding sport bikes back in the day but itís been along time.

For the last 20 plus years Iíve been on more sport touring bikes like FJRís and BMW Rtís etc or Adventure style bikes like BMW GSA or Yamaha Super Tenere. I still ride a ton probably 20k miles per year as Iíll often do my 360 mile commute riding my bike to work but that doesnít mean I can ride track. I feel like learning track would help me immensely in my bike handling skills that despite years and years of riding Iím sure I lack. I feel like Iím a decent rider but Iím sure on a track it would be an entirely different animal.

I guess my question would be at my size what would be a good track bike for me? Iím not super excited about using my BMW GSA for a track day since it would be a slow pig on a track so I would like to find something for maybe around $5k or under that I could use on the track and also let my 16 year old learn on also. But not sure if thatís a good idea or not. Heís a decent dirt bike rider and has been riding dirt bikes since 5 years old and would love for him to learn track also. But there is a huge weight difference between him and I like 120lbs difference so thatís probably not going to work. Iíve been thinking of buying him like a Ninja 300 to learn to ride street on. Seems like that would be a pretty mellow starter street bike for him.

So just curious what a good starter track bike would be for an old tall fat guy to learn and have fun on would be?

Also would it be best to start with something like the California superbike school? I definitely donít want to show up at a track and just ride. I want to have instruction and learn how and to ride properly.

Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by lacofdfireman; 07-23-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in