Sportbikes.net

Sportbikes.net (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/)
-   Suzuki Sportbikes (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/suzuki-sportbikes/)
-   -   Suzuki's S-DMS Engine Management System (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/suzuki-sportbikes/371985-suzukis-s-dms-engine-management-system.html)

jk750 10-24-2007 05:06 PM

Suzuki's S-DMS Engine Management System

There's been a lot of confusion regarding the A-B-C mode switch on Suzuki's '07 GSXR 1k, the '08 GSXR 600/750/1k and the '08 Hayabusa.

Let me try to explain. Basically it works like this for the K7,K8 GSXR 750 and 1000 -

A mode - Full Power (not withstanding the existing timing retardation programmed into the ECU for the first three gears and the top of 6th gear)

B mode - Reduced Power until full throttle is used, then full power, same as A mode. Basically it softens the "hit" but doesn't peak any different than Mode A. This would be difficult to illustrate on a dyno graph because it is throttle dependent.

C mode - Reduced Power, regardless of throttle opening or rpm.

Note : The K8 GSXR600 and K8 Hayabusa differ in that:
A mode is full power
B mode is less power than A mode at all throttle and rpm
C mode is less power than B mode at all throttle and rpm

Thank you stopher58 for the correction, and for making me track down the K8 Hayabusa DMS settings as well.

The purpose of this feature, especially on the 750 and 1k, isn't so much for the street as it is a marketing tool. But most importantly, it is a feature for racing teams to allow switching between different maps on the track for different conditions. The possibilities are endless. Since it is already an OEM feature, it will be legal for racing in most sanctioning bodies.

Here's a chart from KWS Motorsports of a brand new production '07 GSXR1000 picked up from a local dealership. Dynojet 250i Dyno.

Blue line is A mode. Red line is C mode. B mode would be hard to illustrate on a dyno because it is throttle dependent.

http://forums.13x.com/attachment.php...9&d=1173117627

marcussoori 05-26-2008 11:18 PM

Okay, could you please tell me what the effect of using C mode is on a 2008 gsx-r 600? Does it make it essentially like a 500 or sv650 in terms of usability? My question is in terms of a first bike...

Thanks

Ozy 05-26-2008 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcussoori (Post 3572518)
Okay, could you please tell me what the effect of using C mode is on a 2008 gsx-r 600? Does it make it essentially like a 500 or sv650 in terms of usability? My question is in terms of a first bike...

Thanks

lol! they putting the idiot modes on the Gixxer 600's now too?

jk750 05-26-2008 11:46 PM

This switch does not make it a noob friendlier bike. It's still a full on super sport machine, designed for experienced riders. In fact, being new and playing around with this switch while riding some twisties can be more detrimental than just leaving it in the 'A' mode.

See the thread about four riders going off the road because of target fixation. Now, add sudden drastic changes in power output at the touch of a thumb. >>>
https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/gen...ashhhhhhh.html

I just noticed this thread has over 1000 views with only 3 replies. One of them from me, and another from some lost Aussie bloke with an R1. :lol

marcussoori 05-27-2008 02:22 PM

Could someone who has taken a ride with this bike please answer my question? As to throttle ONLY, this bike in C mode compares to which starter bikes?

Thanks...

phoenixdown318 05-27-2008 05:16 PM

.... look at the dyno chart. No "beginner" bike puts out 128hp and thats what this bike puts out in "C" mode so to answer your question from the other thread, no you shouldnt get it as a starter bike and no its not the same as an sv650 since it has almost double the power of an sv650 in "C" mode.

jk750 05-27-2008 05:18 PM

That chart is for the 1k. He's asking about the 600.

marcussoori 05-29-2008 02:59 PM

Bump...

gijoeyb 06-16-2008 12:42 AM

not a smart one for a first timer. i've had the 250 ninja and the gs500... the gsxr600 is way more sensitive and responsive. the riding position is more aggressive (leaned forward), which i find to be rough for a new rider to keep their eyes up and scanning ahead. MARCUSSOORI, unless you've got the money to repair the damages, i would recommend a more entry level bike simply because they're easier to sell off when you've got the fundamentals/basics down. i've only had the gsxr for a few days and will get more miles in the c-mode to officially answer the similarity question.

numasaki 06-19-2008 11:52 PM

Yeah, I'd like to know as well.. But I don't plan on gettin Gixxer till I'm comfy with a 250 or 500..

gijoeyb 06-26-2008 01:17 PM

still in the break-in period but i can tell you that there is a different feel from the c-mode and the gs500/ninja250. the c-mode seems to let the bike take-off a bit slower regarding reaction time to throttle twisting. she still takes off but not as quickly for me... but still feel more thrust then with the gs500. the ninja250 was the first one for me but i don't recall the acceleration being there unless i down-shifted. hope that helps.

NaggerTwo 08-19-2008 05:48 PM

my question is to you gijoeyb, since you have the bike i was wondering if you have ran a tank of gas on just the A mode versus running a tank using the C mode. Is there any difference in gas mileage, just curious. Any information would be appreciated.

gijoeyb 08-26-2008 01:01 AM

hmm, i have been having too much fun with the a-mode but i guess i should figure out the c-mode economy. i'm seeing about 38 mpg so far in a-mode in case someone wanted to know.

g34343greg 08-27-2008 09:23 PM

i'll let you know about gas mileage on A versus C in a few days. i've run a few tanks through it using A mode and got 42, 44, and 47 mpg. this last tank was strictly freeway (although i got stuck in a little traffic jam) and i kept it in C mode to see if it would let me get over 50 mpg. i would say C-mode feels a little slower than my SV650, but just reducing the power will not make this a beginner bike.

the brakes, suspension, and steering geometry are not setup for beginners, Suzuki even states in all their ads that the GSXRs are intended for experienced riders only. low speed maneuvers are VERY difficult. i used to be able to do full lock U-turns on my ninja and SV, but i need alot more practice with this bike

AirRescueScott 09-02-2008 09:59 PM

Beware

In C mode, you really need to be used to the decrease in immediate available power. I was in traffic on the highway and was tinkering around with the modes. While in the C mode, I needed some immediate power that wasn't as readily available as the A mode, it was obvious. The engine noise is different in the modes too that I noticed today. This is all on a 07 GSXR1000