Possible 2006/07 GSXR 600/750 RECALL - Sportbikes.net
Suzuki Sportbikes GSX-1300R - Hayabusa, GSX-R1000, GSX-R750, GSX-R600, TL1000R/S, Katana, GS500F, Bandit, SV Series, RG500

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Possible 2006/07 GSXR 600/750 RECALL

Hello from gixxer.com. I am trying to get together as many people as I can to send a formal petition to Suzuki to recognize this problem (abrupt ON/OFF throttle). Please follow the link, read up and decide if you have experienced what many of us have. If so please add your screen name to the list and I will contact you with further information when we get enough people together.

Here is the link: http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139581

Sincerely,

Randy Chong (Mr. Big)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 04:25 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Yes I've been following your posts over at the gixxer.com forums. I wish you luck in your persuit of a recall. If you haven't already, might post this at gsxr.com also.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Will do Xenohunter, thanks for the lead.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Anything

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,239 Posts

Welcome back after a year and a half, Maui. So you're still a Kaw rider on SBN, but a 'gixxer' rider over there...

I've been following this for awhile now, too. Among others, I liked Ghostrider750 and TheGeek's responses to this 'problem' -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider750
I love how newbie's post "It's the bike, can't me me! I'm smooth with a car or dirt bike. Believe me, unless your that 1% that actually has a lemon bike-it's you. You got to get use to how the bike really works and how it like to be ridden. Ever notice why Suzuki stated that the GSX-R bike are intended for experienced riders? That means even the 600 and 750 not just the 1000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek
For all this bitching and moaning, who has taken their bike to the dealer to have it checked out? I have 2 friends, both with K6 600s. Both had the problem. Both took it to the dealership, and now both won't shut the hell up about how smooth it is and how quick the power comes.

This is what happens when you have too many secondary valves (intake and exhaust) combined with 8 fuel injectors on a bike designed to be run at very high rpm, but choked with EPA mandated lean spot mapping, out of spec cable adjustments and operated by inexperienced riders in low speed and stop and go traffic.

Check all the cables for proper spec, get your bike properly mapped to restore EPA robbed throttle response and oem ecu deceleration fuel cutoff abruptness, and ride it like it was designed to be ridden. The sky is not falling on you guys over at 'gixxer'. Commute on a Burgman, or a Hondah.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Thanks for the warm welcome back. I don't think a remap is going to solve this problem. I believe the problem lies deeper than that. I have an Arrow s/o, Set disabled and I'm running a map from Powercommander.com with no change whatsoever. I realize a custom map is going to smooth the power curve out substantially, like the map I'm running now has. But the ON/OFF throttle gremlin is still apparent. What I have found by deduction is that the mounting position of the Rectifier/Regulator is very poor (behind the radiator and inches above the header pipe) There is not enough air flow to dissipate the heat which has lead me to testing the rectifier and concluding that it is shot. I will confirm this when I get my dealership to scan the bike later this week.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Anything

Why do you suspect the regulator/rectifier? It's true that it could be mounted in a better position, and those things do get damn hot! But what about this do you suspect is causing the throttle issues?

I have my own ideas about improving the regulator/rectifier cooling, but if it is the culprit of these throttle issues, it's even more important.

I'd still be leaning towards secondary throttle valve (STV), actuator (STVA) or position sensor (STP) mis-adjustment. The ecm controls these functions, and if your bike is lurching while you are not manually moving the primary throttle at all, the ecm might be triggering the secondary throttle valves to move. The service manual offers detailed procedures to test and adjust these functions. If the owner can't do it, any quality service technician can.

Let us know what you find out. Glad you found our little Suzuki section here. Don't be a stranger!

If I'm right, or if I fully diagnose the problem before anyone over at gixxer, you have to post a link up over there instead of the other way around. Deal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
KH, Rest In Peace Brother

Hell the installation of of the power commander and and a good map got rid of the problem for me, not that it was that big of a problem for me to begin with.

William (Will) SBN
R.I.P. Krazy Hawaiian-you will be missed brother!!

Bike Mods:CarbonFreak Windscreen, Power Commander, Galfer Superbike Brake Lines, Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads, BMC Air Filter, Motovation Frame Sliders, Redlinestands Swingarm Spools.

WERA #951
NESBA #951

Hemmet-cam LEO-LEESTA!!!
Audentes Fortuna Iuvat!-Virgil
POLICE K9: GO AHEAD AND RUN, IT'S YOUR ASS!
SHUT UP!! I can only listen to one person lie to me at a time!!-Officer737

2006 Graduate of the Kevin Schwantz Suzuki School (race school)
"Putting my foot in your ass since 2005!"
The Following User Says Thank You to OFFICER737 For This Useful Post:
Unholy (05-02-2011)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Anything

That's true, Will. I think your bike's symptoms had a lot to do with the S.E.T valve actuator cables being out of adjustment, too. That was also a common issue to many K6 owners. That, and the lean stock map.

This is why I said in post #4 to check all cable adjustments.

The problem that these owners are talking about might be the same thing, or it might be something different on the intake side. The way it sounds, I'm thinking it has something to do with the Secondary Throttle Valve system.

Does it demand a recall? I doubt it, but I don't know yet for sure. I want to get to the bottom of this as much as anybody. Sometimes the most complex problems have the simplest solutions.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 10:44 PM
KH, Rest In Peace Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk750
That's true, Will. I think your bike's symptoms had a lot to do with the S.E.T valve actuator cables being out of adjustment, too. That was also a common issue to many K6 owners. That, and the lean stock map.

This is why I said in post #4 to check to check all cable adjustments.

The problem that these owners are talking about might be the same thing, or it might be something different on the intake side. The way it sounds, I'm thinking it has something to do with the Secondary Throttle Valve system.

Does it demand a recall? I doubt it, but I don't know yet for sure. I want to get to the bottom of this as much as anybody. Sometimes the most complex problems have the simplest solutions.

I think you are right bro! Another reason I am fixing to bypass the SET valve and not have to worry about it any longer.

William (Will) SBN
R.I.P. Krazy Hawaiian-you will be missed brother!!

Bike Mods:CarbonFreak Windscreen, Power Commander, Galfer Superbike Brake Lines, Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads, BMC Air Filter, Motovation Frame Sliders, Redlinestands Swingarm Spools.

WERA #951
NESBA #951

Hemmet-cam LEO-LEESTA!!!
Audentes Fortuna Iuvat!-Virgil
POLICE K9: GO AHEAD AND RUN, IT'S YOUR ASS!
SHUT UP!! I can only listen to one person lie to me at a time!!-Officer737

2006 Graduate of the Kevin Schwantz Suzuki School (race school)
"Putting my foot in your ass since 2005!"
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

well I suspect it is the rectifier/regulator

A) Because I bench tested it and I'm pretty sure it's fried
b) There is voltage regulators in the wiring diagram for the three yellow wires from the generator.
C) I'm pretty sure the ECM tells the rectifier that it needs a certain voltage, it turn closing the circuit for the generator and allowing voltage to be transfered to the rectifier, in turn stepping it down and converting it and then sending it back to the ECM to distribute it to a number of sensors and control's (TPS,STV,STVA,STP). So when the rectifier is pooched the circuit no longer is able to close and the ECM doesn't get the regulated voltage it is requesting.

A lot of people are complaing that this only happens when the bike is warm after they start it up. Well my theory is that the rectifier works fine up until a certain temperature at which time it shorts and the circuit can no longer close to allow voltage to transfer from the Generator. When you shut the bike off after it is warm and then turn the ignition back on again, the bike goes through calibrations for numerous sensors, because the ECM cannot receive the requested voltage it works with what it has and throws everything out of wack... ie herky jerky throttle

Did I confuse you yet? Because I'm pretty sure I confused myself.

Last edited by Maui Kawi; 05-01-2007 at 12:27 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Anything

You may be on to something. If your R/R is fried, your stator is next. If your R/R is only temporarily overheating, it may be causing those problems.

Time to do some temperature readings on the unit. Possible cures include relocation, installing a heat sink, or even adding an auxiliary pc fan.

If this is the cause of the throttle problems, then yes, it warrants a recall.

Old but good info on R/R problems and solutions - scroll down to step 3.
http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfaq.htm

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

great link jk750. I'm going to do some more testing as I talked to a mechanic that has some knowledge in this field. I'll keep you posted.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Anything

Let us know. I'm obsessed with getting to the bottom of this now. Like a Bulldog with a bone.

If it's a heat related R/R problem, does it mainly happen when riding slowly in traffic? Does it go away when you start getting some air flowing?

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 05:05 PM
SBN Rookie

Hey, im just curious but i have read this forum and i am curious to the herky jerky and on/off throttle due to the rectifier...... is it when your getting into a high rpm that it shuts off? because that is what mine has been doing. it runs smooth as butter and takes off decent but once i get to higher rpms it will damn near toss me over the bars because of a sudden NOTHING, trying to dump the clutch in 2nd just does NOTHING , and yea so i was just curious if that was what you all were talking about
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:14 AM
SBN Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk750 View Post
You may be on to something. If your R/R is fried, your stator is next. If your R/R is only temporarily overheating, it may be causing those problems.

Time to do some temperature readings on the unit. Possible cures include relocation, installing a heat sink, or even adding an auxiliary pc fan.

If this is the cause of the throttle problems, then yes, it warrants a recall.

Old but good info on R/R problems and solutions - scroll down to step 3.
The GSResources - Stator Papers II - FAQ

i just had to get my rectifier replaced because mines caught on fire and had a hole burnt into it. so i was wondering where could i possibly relocate the rectifier so that it could get better air flow so that its not so hot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in