Sportbikes.net

Sportbikes.net (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/)
-   Suspension and Tire Tech (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/suspension-tire-tech/)
-   -   Should a Q2 wear this fast? (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/suspension-tire-tech/500938-should-q2-wear-fast.html)

CoonDawg 05-07-2014 04:40 PM

Should a Q2 wear this fast?

1 Attachment(s)
Background: Newer rider with about 5k miles ridden. This particular tire has only about 4-4.5k miles on it. No track-days of any kind; I'm still learning how to ride.

First off, what the hell is with those patches? They're all over the sides.

Secondly, most of the tread is gone everywhere but the center. It's passed all the wear patches.

Is this even remotely normal mileage? I've tried to research this tire and people on liter bikes are getting 8, 10, even 12k miles on a front Q2. I don't understand how a sv650 did this much damage.

Oh, and would you recommend riding on this tire? I have new brake pads coming tomorrow and I kinda wanted to try them out...

F4sSprintST 05-07-2014 06:07 PM

271 Attachment(s)
I've gotten from 3k to 7k from front Q2's

Yes, I've gotten those kind of wear patterns, especially back when I'd carry more speed into the corners. I'm working on that and getting better wear patterns.

Plus, lots of folks advised me on tire pressure

CoonDawg 05-07-2014 08:03 PM

But the question is: can I still ride?

riverszzr 05-07-2014 08:13 PM

Sure right after you get a new front tire

Then try not braking all the way to the apex and actually come in slower and use the throttle to set the suspension (ie some drive taking some load off the front and transferring it to the rear)

lowcel 05-07-2014 08:16 PM

Are you checking your tire pressure on a regular basis?

CoonDawg 05-07-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcel (Post 5412202)
Are you checking your tire pressure on a regular basis?

lol no

lowcel 05-07-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoonDawg (Post 5412210)
lol no

Then don't be surprised if your tires wear prematurely.

CoonDawg 05-07-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcel (Post 5412218)
Then don't be surprised if your tires wear prematurely.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. It never varies more than a few PSI from 36.

HiSpeed48 05-07-2014 09:32 PM

From my experience, that wear is usually caused by running too low of a pressure. It could also be the way you ride or maybe suspension related.

What is your compression and rebound damping set at?

F4sSprintST 05-07-2014 09:35 PM

271 Attachment(s)
Yeah, I'm running more pressure now, and had the suspension setup (still need to respring, but it's better_)

Consequently, I'm not getting t hat kind of wear patterns anymore

So, pressure, suspension, don't dive so hard into the corners

CoonDawg 05-08-2014 01:00 PM

I really don't know about the suspension set-up; the only thing I did with the suspension was set the sag (and I've lost 30 pounds since then). I wasn't even aware that the SV650 was capable of any rebound settings.

I'm almost certain my problem is braking up to the apex. I actually do it a lot, and will start working on that.

I ordered a front (PR4) that will be here Monday and just put on brand new EBC HH front pads (which--against all your advice--I'm going to go try out).

riverszzr 05-08-2014 02:12 PM

So we warned you the tire is not safe, why on earth would you "need" to go try your new brake pads? It isn't like with that tire you can actually test them out.

Make sure you bed them in, but don't crash doing it.

CoonDawg 05-08-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverszzr (Post 5412858)
So we warned you the tire is not safe, why on earth would you "need" to go try your new brake pads? It isn't like with that tire you can actually test them out.

Make sure you bed them in, but don't crash doing it.

Because I had been having brake trouble and I wanted to see if new pads fixed the problem--which it did. Besides, I wasn't going around corners with it; the tread in the center is still OK.

Can someone explain to me why there is a different "layer" of rubber showing through on the bald spots, though? I'm confused, because I thought it went straight to the cords. It's actually stickier than the surface tread.

kartl 07-23-2014 08:29 PM

Replace the tire just to be safe. I guess the reason for such wear is over inflated tires and road temp.