A guide for learning wheelies. - Page 2 - Sportbikes.net
Stunterz Corner Do you like to ride a bit different from everyone else? Like to see how long you can ride on one tire? Front or back? Well this is the place for you. All Stunt groups are located here now.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 189 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 05:08 PM
SBN Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks yo, appreciate the insight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 01:03 AM
Supersport Racer

Great info, best ive come across so far. Almost makes me willing to dump my bike a few times to get it right.

Apocolyptic dreams see the ordinary maddness.
post #18 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Back Marker

verry well explained !

doesnt get much better than that,

post #19 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 12:51 AM
SBN Rookie

Alot also has to do with the bike and how year, and make. Once you have "Mastered " the wheelie, it can be done on almost n e bike. When i first started it was on a 96 gsxr 750.......... It was explained to me as such........ "ok man, what you wanna do is start out slow, get on the throttle, and as soon as you fell the power band kick in tap the clutch........." WELL........ it works, but even that bike had a little too much power for that. It works wonders for trying to bring up an SV 650 lol....... I didnt get it down great till i got my 03' Gixxer 1000, powering up was cake, and could bring it up as slow or as fast as i wanted, i loved that bike:-( it was sold against my will before i came to korea, after a small accident and an angry spouse pushed it over 3 times. Oh well, soon enough ill be back on the road!!! Make sure you start out slow and understand what "clutching" means. We were at a stop light and one of the dudes next to me told my friend " hey man clutch it up" on the green light, and on an 03 r6, he rolls off, cranks the RPM's to 12'500 and dumps the clutch. The bike shot off the groud like a rocket strait up in the air. He was fine.................. end state, start clutching slow, in small incriments, as you add throttle and youll be fine...............
post #20 of 189 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Pro Bike Theft Victim

i am not really feeling the standing thing. I can pwr up a wheel pretty well , but your right i dont have alot of rpms to work with , Any diff hints to help with staying my ass in the seat wheelie ?

2007 Yamaha R6
Certified MSF Instructor
California Super Bike Instructor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Squids make my insurance go up !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 189 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Pronounced "Hose Head"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki1k
I loved that bike:-( it was sold against my will before i came to korea, after a small accident and an angry spouse pushed it over 3 times. fine...............
Remind me to avoid your spouse!

2002 CBR 600F4i (Red & Black)

* 600RR Swingarm
* Power Commander
* 110% Awesome

post #22 of 189 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 12:04 PM
SBN Rookie

Thanks for the advice on wheelies. Here is another good explanation...

http://www.uponone.com/howtos/19.pdf
post #23 of 189 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVaultGuy
Thanks for the advice on wheelies. Here is another good explanation...

http://www.uponone.com/howtos/19.pdf
Not much is explained there and most of the advise is bad
post #24 of 189 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Supersport Racer

So when you clutch it up you actually drive the bike to 8k or so RPM's then pull in the clutch and release it? I just don't get the clutching it up thing, I'm afraid it's gonna swing back on me. Tonight me and my buddy (both newer gsxr 600's) were trying to power them up in first. I could get mine a few inches off the ground but that was it. I'd rev til about 8k and then whack the throttle some (I dont think I was wot) but it was just no go. Very frustrating.
post #25 of 189 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:05 AM
SBN Rookie

Mattz, I'm still learning myself, but you must be doing something wrong. I have an SV650 and I know your GSXR has more power than my bike. I accelerate to 6500 RPM, shut the thottle hard, and bring it right back on, close to wide open in one quick motion. It's like snapping the throttle open.

With the clutching thing, I'm pretty sure the idea is to get the bike up at lower RPM. To do this you get the bike up to about 4k RPM, pull clutch in, get RPM into power range (6 - 8k RPM) then drop the clutch on it while keeping the throttle on. This allows you to get the engine in its power range when dropping the clutch. Keep practicing and let me know how it goes.

Last edited by PVaultGuy; 06-27-2005 at 12:13 PM.
post #26 of 189 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Supersport Racer

Quote:
Mattz, I'm still learning myself, but you must be doing something wrong. I have an SV650 and I know your GSXR has more power than my bike. I accelerate to 6500 RPM, shut the thottle hard, and bring it right back on, close to wide open in one quick motion. It's like snapping the throttle open.

With the clutching thing, I'm pretty sure the idea is to get the bike up at lower RPM. To do this you get the bike up to about 4k RPM, pull clutch in, get RPM into power range (6 - 8k RPM) then drop the clutch on it while keeping the throttle on. This allows you to get the engine in its power range when dropping the clutch. Keep practicing and let me know how it goes.
Okay so on power ups you bring it into powerband then let off and hit it wide open fast? Before I was just bringin it into powerband then I'd thump on the throttle.

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes if I mess with it anymore. I had to of looked like an idiot last night going down the road with my back going VROOOM VROOOM VROOM and me trying to pull the handlebars off. ahaha
post #27 of 189 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:27 PM
SBN Rookie

To power up any bike you want to use the fat part of the torque curve. On my SV650S it is between 6500 - 7500 RPM, this is where the engine has the most leverage/torque to lift the front end. So get the bike up to the fat part slam the throttle closed and rip it back open and she'll come up.

post #28 of 189 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:34 PM
Supersport Racer

Quote:
To power up any bike you want to use the fat part of the torque curve. On my SV650S it is between 6500 - 7500 RPM, this is where the engine has the most leverage/torque to lift the front end. So get the bike up to the fat part slam the throttle closed and rip it back open and she'll come up.

Gracias senior.
post #29 of 189 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:47 PM
World Superbike Racer

I have noticed on my 03 GSXR 600 that my rear dunnie has to be quiet gummy to bring the front end up or the rear tire it will kick out on me. But for the most part clutching is WAY better (more control). Thanks for the adice and tips bro!
post #30 of 189 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Supersport Racer

Well I gave it another try today. Brought it to about 7k and let off then whacked the throttle, it came up a little bit higher today but when it went back down my balls met the tank... wow did that hurt. How do you guys keep from doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in