A guide for learning wheelies. - Page 12 - Sportbikes.net
Stunterz Corner Do you like to ride a bit different from everyone else? Like to see how long you can ride on one tire? Front or back? Well this is the place for you. All Stunt groups are located here now.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Superbike Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyali0369 View Post
Very good, I have myself (I've been riding for 3 weeks now) popped 2 wheelies with my ex 250 in 1st gear though (both times by accident)
I've been riding for about 2 months now and just started wheelie-ing. getting sorta good, but still a lot more room for improvement. i have and EX250....i have to rev to 12k just to get it up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 12:06 AM
SBN Rookie

Congralutions on your bike, 250 is fairly small and kawasaki intentionally had it reving real high to all the power they can possibly doing out of it. Since you still new to the game all I would is practice clutch slipping and practice a lot till you can have the bike up to balance point. This takes a little bit of time so don't rush it. Its quirky little bike but would do anything you want. I need to know more of how you are popping you wheelies to say more and how long have you been wheeling.
post #168 of 189 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kninja636 View Post
Congralutions on your bike, 250 is fairly small and kawasaki intentionally had it reving real high to all the power they can possibly doing out of it. Since you still new to the game all I would is practice clutch slipping and practice a lot till you can have the bike up to balance point. This takes a little bit of time so don't rush it. Its quirky little bike but would do anything you want. I need to know more of how you are popping you wheelies to say more and how long have you been wheeling.
lol i've been wheeling for about a week now? but i go about 10 mph rev to 11 or 12k drop the clutch front end comes up...i'm afraid to go higher in revs or slower in speed ever since i got into the balance point because that seemed a bit to high for my comfort standards right now...i've been practicing in parking lots dropping the clutch and slowly bringing the front up higher and higher...i've heard that it's good to learn standing up, but it feels weird and i dont want to flip it because of the weight transfer (i lean back a little bit more to keep my balance)

post #169 of 189 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:22 AM
SBN Rookie

Wheelies

LOL, ok so you are brand new to it. Nothing to worry you got a good bike to get you a plenty of practice. Just remember a simple rule if the wheel comes up too quick have the rear break covered. hitting the rear break keeps you from looping, or flipping over.
250 won't do well with power wheelies so playing with the clutch is the only valid choice. Practice letting out the clutch really fast as you go up in gas instead of dropping it. One way of doing it is letting it go halfway and then give the bike gas. Don't worry much about how high the tire comes up even a few inches is good. Right now the important thing is getting the timing down. Your goal here is to bring the tire up has slowly as you possibly can. This reduces the chance of looping and you eventually get good. There is no substitute for practice.
I burned up a couple of sets of clutch plates doing this till I finally got the timing to where I wanted.
Keep practicing and practice a lot. happy wheeling.
post #170 of 189 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Club Racer

Learn the wheelie on dirt not on cement.

I find it very difficult to just let the clutch out an you up, reb it up then let the clutch out.
I cant do it on a CBR1000RR and I cant do it on a 400 dirt bike so it is not the bikes it me. I know what I am dong wrong i am not giving enough gas because i am scared, I cant do it, I try to do it, and this is what happens, nothing but i go forward a little faster the wheel dont come up o sort of lunge forward and then it catches fully and nothing not even close to a wheelie am not going to learn a wheelie on the hard cement ground, i have to get on dirt or grass, I haven't yet but i think that is the safest most ballsy way i can do it. Most people have learned on dirt bikes. I wouldn't try to learn it on your street bike, I think you will fall i dont think you will not fall and get it, i think you will have to fall its inevitable its part of learning it. Unless you like replacing plastics, and frame parts while learning I am not worried though i will learn it eventually just not on a brand new Sports Bike.
post #171 of 189 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeingnaluding View Post
I find it very difficult to just let the clutch out an you up, reb it up then let the clutch out.
I cant do it on a CBR1000RR and I cant do it on a 400 dirt bike so it is not the bikes it me. I know what I am dong wrong i am not giving enough gas because i am scared, I cant do it, I try to do it, and this is what happens, nothing but i go forward a little faster the wheel dont come up o sort of lunge forward and then it catches fully and nothing not even close to a wheelie am not going to learn a wheelie on the hard cement ground, i have to get on dirt or grass, I haven't yet but i think that is the safest most ballsy way i can do it. Most people have learned on dirt bikes. I wouldn't try to learn it on your street bike, I think you will fall i dont think you will not fall and get it, i think you will have to fall its inevitable its part of learning it. Unless you like replacing plastics, and frame parts while learning I am not worried though i will learn it eventually just not on a brand new Sports Bike.
that's funny i wouldn't dare not do it on the solid concrete....more traction. but just bring it up 500 to 1k rpms each time. that what i did to get it up
post #172 of 189 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kninja636 View Post
LOL, ok so you are brand new to it. Nothing to worry you got a good bike to get you a plenty of practice. Just remember a simple rule if the wheel comes up too quick have the rear break covered. hitting the rear break keeps you from looping, or flipping over.
250 won't do well with power wheelies so playing with the clutch is the only valid choice. Practice letting out the clutch really fast as you go up in gas instead of dropping it. One way of doing it is letting it go halfway and then give the bike gas. Don't worry much about how high the tire comes up even a few inches is good. Right now the important thing is getting the timing down. Your goal here is to bring the tire up has slowly as you possibly can. This reduces the chance of looping and you eventually get good. There is no substitute for practice.
I burned up a couple of sets of clutch plates doing this till I finally got the timing to where I wanted.
Keep practicing and practice a lot. happy wheeling.
well i've been practicing more and what i do now is i go a bit faster (bout 15 to 20) reving up to only 11 or 12 instead of 14....the letting it out very fast and i have ridden two of them for about 40 feet....because i practice in empty parking lots.
post #173 of 189 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:55 PM
SBN Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyali0369 View Post
Very good, I have myself (I've been riding for 3 weeks now) popped 2 wheelies with my ex 250 in 1st gear though (both times by accident)
yeah i got my old 250 to wheelie before i blew the engine doing 100(6'2 230 at the time) if you put it to about 12,000 in first going about 15 it'll pop up every time.
post #174 of 189 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 PM
SBN Rookie

alright, i've been trying to wheelie my ex500 for the last week or so. sometimes i get it up (not to the balance point, but a couple feet off the ground) and other times doing what seems to be the same thing it go's up maybe an inch and spins the back wheel. what am i doing wrong? is there any technique to getting into the balance point? i'm going about 15 and revving to about 7-9k, i'm not 100% because i like to keep my head up when im trying it.
post #175 of 189 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Superbike Racer

one thing i can suggest about your back tire spinning, which maybe why you aren't getting it up, is to lower the PSI...and make sure your tires are warmed up

Last edited by raiderfan94536; 05-28-2010 at 10:26 PM.
post #176 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 03:14 PM
SBN Rookie

What about shift down throttle up wheelies? I go about 20-25mph in secong gear, then shift down to first, a little stutter from engine braking and I know the front will lift once I throttle up? Ever heard of this before? Works well for me but right now I'm trying to ride em out. Is that bad for the engine?
post #177 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Supersport Racer

my R1 has a lot of torque in first gear. my wheelies are usually in 2nd gear if im doing power wheelies. if im doing clutch wheelies then it doesnt matter usually what gear
post #178 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:03 PM
SBN Rookie

newb

I'm a newb to riding, just got my '07 YZF600R in May of '09. Bought it off a buddy of mine who says he's wheelied it in 1st, no problem. I've never wheelied anything bigger than my old Dyno, and I know a crash cage is pretty pricey, so how 'bout a wheelie bar? Would that be a cheaper but still safe alternative?
post #179 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 04:35 AM
SBN Rookie

Wheelie On YZF600R

You have a solid bike, its not too hard to bring it up in first gear. If you are really new to riding I will get some more seat time first to be safe. To bring up your bike, on a standing bike play with the throttle and look at the rpm, this would help you later not to loop. Start off in first gear get the bike rolling good and snap the throttle to about 6K bike should come up a bit. keep doing that till you stop jerking the bike and reach 6k smoothly. You will notice the bike jumping up easy, now you can give it a little more rpm but go up in 1k increments to practice.
I have had this bike up without a problem several time but now I clutch it, I use to only power wheelie. Its all nothing but practice keep trying if this doesn't work post again and I will put in some more details.
Good Luck
post #180 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:15 PM
SBN Rookie

Re: Wheelie On YZF600R

thx kninja, its wintertime in PA right now so i gotta wait a few months for riding weather. i do need a bit more riding time, but im just excited to try a wheelie. my next question would be, whats better? power wheelies or clutching wheelies? a buddy of mine at work has been riding for 10 years, he doesn't stunt much, but does power wheelies. however, ive noticed he cant ride them, just pops the front tire for a bit before it sets back down. is clutching better for riding a wheelie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in