How to stoppie - Page 2 - Sportbikes.net
Stunterz Corner Do you like to ride a bit different from everyone else? Like to see how long you can ride on one tire? Front or back? Well this is the place for you. All Stunt groups are located here now.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Ozy
New Canadian, frm Nigeria

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Heres another take on the whole stoppie business.... this sums it up nicely . 1) accelerate to 35mph, 2) grip tank well and pull in the brakes hard enough to compress your forks (fairly close to the locking point), 3) pull in a second time and "bounce" off your seat, 4) pray to god you will live to change your pants...

Quote:
By nate281 from CBR world forums

There is a right way and a wrong way, I will teach you both.

Bike setup: First, you need to have a good front tire. Secondly, you will need to have your front end at stock, or harder settings. The last thing you want is the front end to bottom out. I highly stress lowering your front tire to around 20 psi. Good front brakes help as well .

SAFETY! Wear a helmet! Jeans or leathers work best for pants. You want something that will grip the tank well. Find an empty parking lot, one that has plenty of space and good traction. Be ready to get off those brakes at the first sign of locking up, or getting too high. REMEMBER: there is not a damn thing that will save your @ss when you get too high in a stoppie. There is no special "rear brake" to bring down a stoppie, you simply fall over forward... and usually your bike follows you and lands somewhere on you.

The right way.... First get going about 30-40 mph in either first or second. First thing you do is grip the tank very hard with your knees and lock your arms. Ok? Now hit the brakes generously, to where the front end dives down and compresses the forks. Once the forks are compressed, you pull in the brakes a second time and lift up and forward off your seat. Kind of like a bounce... if that makes sense. Also you want to keep your feet well planted on the pegs. The second time you compress the brakes it isn't as hard and fast as the first, otherwise you may flip it. You will most likely get up about 3 inches or so the first few times. You may just *** yourself, I know I almost did. So... 1) accelerate to 35mph, 2) grip tank well and pull in the brakes hard enough to compress your forks (fairly close to the locking point), 3) pull in a second time and "bounce" off your seat, 4) pray to god you will live to change your pants...

The wrong way.... First off, obviously doing any of the above on the streets, espcially coming to a stop light (oil anyone?). The proper wrong way to do a stoppie is to be slowing down, or goin about 10-15mph and just slamming on your brakes. You will taste pavement this way, I could almost promise this. Let me reiterate; DO NOT DO THEM LIKE THIS!

Balancing: So you got them up now, but they always seem to go one way or the other? The key to balancing stoppies is simply proper weight distribution. Try not to put too much weight to one side or the other
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 01:00 AM
Stunter

i dont understand the "pulling in the front brakes a second thing". am i suspose to jam them at first to let the front forks compress or gradually jam them really fast then let go and pull them in again...how much this time???? so is the bike suspose to come up the first time u pull in the brakes ??? after i pull them in the first time do i let go then pull them in a second time or wat???
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Back Marker

tap the break to make front compress then hit harder to cum up, i dont usally do that unless i am going over 60mph and if you dont at that speed the wheel usally slides

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Stunter

my front tire keeps skidding because it locks up ...i pull in the brake a second time expecting it come up slowly but all it does is skid...am i doing something wrong ?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Ozy

Just a pic of me from the weekend...although this one was very close to becoming pear shaped...

Remember kiddies, dont look down!
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:54 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

get it higher n00b

Kick the tires and light the fires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- CENTRAL TEXAS SPORTBIKE ACCESSORIES - FAST AND FREE SHIPPING
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Ozy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxHunteR
get it higher n00b
im tryin man....more of teh frontz break u reckonz?
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Supersport Racer

Yeah I loaded up the handlebars and barked the front brake today after a nice spirited canyon ride and I got the back wheel up off the ground a few inches, so I said to myself, "Hmmm I want to try that again but a little harder" So I try another slow rolling stoppy (yes I read his part about not trying baby stoppies after the fact) and my front end locked up, luckily I was going 10mph so I rode it out, but I think I'm gonna put those down for a little while

"Obsessed is a word lazy people use for dedicated"

I only live to get radical
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Stunter

ya im trying to do them over 50 mph and my tire keeps skidding....i can do em at like 30 and roll em but when at 50 my tire skids. usually i pull the brake in make my forks compress shift my wieght and pull it in again. do i have to use a differant method when going faster like pullin the brake in slower and gradually bring it up or do the same thing i was doing but at a faster paste?
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Superbike Champion

how high should your speed or rpm's be when attempting a stoppie?
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Spiffy...

30 to 40 mph, clutch in. RPM's don't matter at that point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
...the largest and most knowledgable group of motorcycle assholes on the net!

<---official SBN welcome sign
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Superbike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerythus View Post
30 to 40 mph, clutch in. RPM's don't matter at that point.
Good to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in