Feasible? - Sportbikes.net
Sport-Touring Information on Sport Touring throughout the world. Tank bags, Gear, saddle bags, Camp sites. Share your information here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Mexican Hard Shell Taco

Thanked 1,017 Times in 611 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Feasible?

Hi:

I'm in Mexico City, and in need of new leathers for the track. I've been looking at some nice Alpinestars on internet, but as usual, shipping and duties get quite expensive.

The leathers are $900 and the boots $230. For that I would end up paying about $300 in customs and $150 in shipping. So I was doing some quick math and it turns out that for around $300 I can go to San Antonio and back, staying two nights in the US. How's that?

Obviously factoring the wear on the bike, tires and bla bla bla, it will end up being more expensive.

I've wanted to do a ride like that for a while... Yet I'm scared of doing it. I always have work as an excuse, not being able to take the days off, but I haven't done it when I've been in between jobs, using money as an excuse...

Truth is, I'm scared of doing it. I think that a 840 mile ride each way is not THAT much, but, It's not a short ride either.

I get thoughts of gravel, potholes, horses/donkeys on the middle of the road... My mind ends up making it look as some sort of impossible feat.

Out of my bikes I think that my Yamaha XT660R would be the best one for the trip, and I have no doubts that it can make it (I purchased it as an adventure bike, something that would take a beating and come back for more).

I think I would like to do something like, leave on Thursday morning to arrive on Thursday afternoon to Nuevo Laredo, Tx. Sleep in NL and leave early in the morning to San Antonio, I would be arriving around 10-11am, enough time to go shopping and maybe go visit the Alamo.
Then I don't know if I should sleep in San Antonio or go back to NL on Friday, as I would like to spend Saturday riding back, and even if I don't make it all the way back to Mexico City, I could spend the night somewhere close, allowing me to arrive to MEX on Sunday morning, to avoid the traffic.

Then I would crash the entire Sunday and get some rest to go back to work on Monday, but I would have a damn good story to tell, right?

Go soothingly on the greasy mud, for therein lies the skid demon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:54 AM
Club Racer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Hey juven dont be scared,planning is the trick.Know where to stop for fuel and breaks.Riding 7 to 10 hrs on your M/C isn't bad at all but planning and knowing where your going is real important.Buy the suit & boots and wear them back home so to break them in.Remember FUEL-Fillups even if your tank is half-down."You can do it" grow some huevo's and just do it,be safe,let us know when you get back,take some pictures.

2007/DUCATI-ST3-S-ABS / DESMO RIDER
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 09:48 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Would it be a possibility to have one of the TX members meet up with you? They might be willing to let you ship to their address and meet up with you.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Superbike Champion

Completely doable. Sounds like you have it broken up into manageble bits. 500 miles a day isn't bad at all, as long as you're comfortable with your bike. I don't know what mexican roads look like... seriously, donkeys? But as long as you stick to roads in the US that are more than the tiny black line, any bike will be fine. In Texas though, you have to keep an eye out for cattle. *MOOO cruunch!!*

You won't want to wear new boots and suit on that kind of trip. It'll hurt like a mother before they break in. At the same time, you're going to be challenged to fit them in any kind of luggage you might have. I know my A* pants are a royal pain to pack because the knee/shin gaurds are so long. And race boots with all their armor won't fold neatly like leather work boots.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Mexican Hard Shell Taco

By donkeys on the road I meant cattle. Just like in Texas, when you least expect it there is some animal in the middle of the road, and once said animal notices the bike/car, it freezes in panic. A fucking stupid cow in the middle of the road is deadly, even on a truck.

As for the luggage. It would be a VERY short trip, so I would only pack clothes for two days and a pair of shoes. The rest of the bags would be empty. Maybe I would return wearing the race boots, as my riding boots can be somewhat folded. I would remove the armor from the suit so I can fit it better on the soft luggage bags.

I've been riding daily for the last 6 years, in freaking Mexico City. So I don't know why I get so nervous about something like this. Maybe it is because I havent actually done it before?
Now that I think of it, I've done 300 miles on a single day, for a trackday, and that was just counting the miles to get to the track and return home, I'm not counting the time I spent on the track. But that was 3 years ago!

Oh, and I don't think I can keep using work as an excuse, my manager just told me I can take two days off...

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 03:17 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
By donkeys on the road I meant cattle. Just like in Texas, when you least expect it there is some animal in the middle of the road, and once said animal notices the bike/car, it freezes in panic. A fucking stupid cow in the middle of the road is deadly, even on a truck.

As for the luggage. It would be a VERY short trip, so I would only pack clothes for two days and a pair of shoes. The rest of the bags would be empty. Maybe I would return wearing the race boots, as my riding boots can be somewhat folded. I would remove the armor from the suit so I can fit it better on the soft luggage bags.

I've been riding daily for the last 6 years, in freaking Mexico City. So I don't know why I get so nervous about something like this. Maybe it is because I havent actually done it before?
Now that I think of it, I've done 300 miles on a single day, for a trackday, and that was just counting the miles to get to the track and return home, I'm not counting the time I spent on the track. But that was 3 years ago!

Oh, and I don't think I can keep using work as an excuse, my manager just told me I can take two days off...
As long as you think you can do it, it's not all that difficult. 500 miles is decent haul on a motorcycle, you are talking about 8 solid hours going 60mph non stop. So in reality it'll be 9-10 hours going 70-80 while stopping briefly to get gas, snacks etc. I did 400-600 miles a day for 31 days straight besides a couple days off in the middle, so I know how it goes. Realize if the roads aren't paved etc. that you will do much less mileage. If you aren't bringing camping gear you'll need to figure out where to stay and make SURE you can make it there even if it's raining, heavy traffic, etc. My guess is if you can survive in mex city you will be just fine. From your place to san antonio is going to be a damn boring ride just to warn you.

"Blind is the world
Few are those who clearly see"

[I]Dhammapada[/I] v. 174
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Mexican Hard Shell Taco

I did about 500 miles yesterday, the last 70 miles were awfull... It was arround 32F, with heavy fog and mist... So I'm in Monterrey Mexico.

It seems that I'm more or less stuck in here, as the temperatures aren't getting better in the next couple of days... but if I go back it will be raining, so I guess I'll take a shower and head to Laredo.

Last edited by Süsser Tod; 01-08-2010 at 04:04 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Mexican Hard Shell Taco

Well, tried to get out of Monterrey, Mexico, but the temperature in here is 39F, in the mountains is lower, less than 32F. I could see ice on the cars comming the opposite way...

So I'm stuck here. I won't have enough time to get to San Antonio, so as soon as the weather gets a bit better I'm returning home.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:37 AM
500 G.P. Champion

That's why it's called an adventure. Stay warm (alive anyways).

"Blind is the world
Few are those who clearly see"

[I]Dhammapada[/I] v. 174
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Mediocre Strafer

Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,004 Posts

You're in freaking Mexico City; one of the largest cities in the world. Why don't you just buy leathers there?!?

KeS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Mexican Hard Shell Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
You're in freaking Mexico City; one of the largest cities in the world. Why don't you just buy leathers there?!?

KeS
Because of the prices...

Most motorcycle related stuff is extremely overpriced. Actually, even ordering them from an online store in the US, paying shipping and duties, ends up being cheaper than buying them on a store.

For example, the first time I ordered motorcycle stuf from the US was a set of tires, steering head bearings and fork seals from the US for my Katana, and it ended up being cheaper than buying the tires in here, even after shipping and duties.

Then there is the availability. When I ordered those tires I was trying to get them locally, and they were not available, they had to be ordered... And it took way longer for the store to get them than it took me to get them from an online store. That is when I discovered that it was not only faster to get the parts online from the US, but also way cheaper, moreso when you start adding items so you save a lot on shipping.

I have a more recent example, one part for my ER-5, it was $200 from a local Kawasaki dealer, and it took 15 bussines days for them to get it. I ordered it on-line for $70 and paid about $60 in shipping and duties... I had the part within 8 calendar days...

Last edited by Süsser Tod; 01-12-2010 at 07:09 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:28 PM
occasional know-it-almost

Tod,

Sounds like you have the ability, the plan, and most importantly - the financial means to do this. Plan a long weekend when the weather will be decent (you KNOW you are alive when you are on your bike in the 40°F & below weather!) and do it. Sounds like you made the big part of the trip ~2 weeks ago. Find a break in the weather when you can get up to TX and take care of your shopping.

Good luck! You got this!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:49 AM
18 Hours to Daytona

Did you ever make it? I'm in SA. Drop me a line if you need to. It may warm up here eventually...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in