Best roads - Sportbikes.net
Sport-Touring Information on Sport Touring throughout the world. Tank bags, Gear, saddle bags, Camp sites. Share your information here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
It wasn't me

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Best roads

Just was reading the sticky thread about the best states for good roads. I see a lot of good suggestions, but they're really vague. You say west Texas or Colorado, etc., but can you be more specific?

I'll be doing a pretty good-size road trip this June. Going from East Oklahoma through NW Texas, NM, AZ, and up north through CA via the PCH to a town east of Santa Rosa. After a week there, I'll return to east OK. I had planned on returning the way I came, but now I'm strongly considering going back through Nevada, Utah, and Colorado.

I had posted a similar thread in General, but the activity is too high to keep it going for the subject's intended audience.

National Parks are automatic targets, both for free camping and beautiful scenery. Curvy roads tend to be there as well. The Grand Canyon for sure is one stop, and HW 1 in California is one of the reasons to make the trip by motorcycle, so that of course will be ridden as well.

[COLOR="Red"][I][b]Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum. [/I][/b][/COLOR]

Last edited by jetblack; 01-06-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Andy Bell is my hero.

Quoted: 244 Post(s)

If you end up returning through Utah/Colorado you should definately consider heading south from Grand Junction, Colorado and following that to Druango. Basically between Ouray and Durago is The Million Dollar Highway. It winds through the mountains and is very scenic. It's one of the best rides in the western part of Colorado. A group of us went through there a couple years back. You can do a Google search for the million dollar highway and find out more info.

SUPER MODERATOR

Maturity is vastly overrated.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't let it get in the way of a good time.

Best piece of advice,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
It wasn't me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin726 View Post
If you end up returning through Utah/Colorado you should definately consider heading south from Grand Junction, Colorado and following that to Druango. Basically between Ouray and Durago is The Million Dollar Highway. It winds through the mountains and is very scenic. It's one of the best rides in the western part of Colorado. A group of us went through there a couple years back. You can do a Google search for the million dollar highway and find out more info.

I just looked that up and researched it a bit. Now that is what I'm talking about!

Think I may go back west and camp at Mesa Verde NP that night. Looks like it's only about 30 miles from Durango, and there are some amazing cliff dwelling ruins there (I love history).

[COLOR="Red"][I][b]Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum. [/I][/b][/COLOR]

Last edited by jetblack; 01-06-2009 at 12:57 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 05:05 PM

yep Mese Verde is cool. I'm not sure how much free camping you'll find in national parks. I think you meant national forests. In the NF pick a spot and camp, just mind your fire and make sure it's out when you leave. I can tell you about a trip I took from Colorado out to Monterey California for the MotoGP races at Laguna. I took hwy 50 out to Reno and then dropped over the Sierras on hwy 4. Then hung out at the races and rode hwy 1 along the coast for a few days. The trip back was the best route. From Monterey I made my way east through Yosemite and Tioga Pass and stopped near the Nevada/Ca border in Lee Vining for the night. The next morning I had to cross Nevada-in July, so I left Lee Vining early and made my way across the desert averaging probably close to 80mph, which means I had long sprints of 100+ mph. I made it across Nevada in 6 hours and stopped in Cedar City Utah for the night. The next day was a trip across southern Utah from Bryce through Escalante and Blanding. This was a great route along hwy 12,24,95. I stopped in Montecello Utah for the night. The Colorado border was just a quick 2 hour sprint the next morning and I went through Mesa Verde for a couple hours before heading over Wolf Creek Pass on hwy 160 to South Fork Colorado. Then I headed north on hwy 149 through Creede To Lake City and camped near Lake San Cristobal. Home was just 4 hours away from there so I did some fishing and cruised home later in the afternoon.

It was an epic trip and a great route-highly recommended.

Near Durango and Mesa Verde

Million Dollar Highway hwy 550

Last edited by Hotwheels; 01-08-2009 at 05:08 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Shut the **** up and ride

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I just got hard looking at Highway 550. Wow.

Those mountains make a great background too.

[CENTER]-[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=zmeiaspas;3844435]Long live NattyDrez :beer[/QUOTE]
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Andy Bell is my hero.

Quoted: 244 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyDrez View Post
Those mountains make a great background too.
They most certainly do. This one was taken on The Million Dollar Highway somewhere north of Durango.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colorado '07 160.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	839.9 KB
ID:	179691  

SUPER MODERATOR

Maturity is vastly overrated.

Don't let it get in the way of a good time.

Best piece of advice,

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
It wasn't me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels View Post
yep Mese Verde is cool. I'm not sure how much free camping you'll find in national parks. I think you meant national forests. In the NF pick a spot and camp, just mind your fire and make sure it's out when you leave. I can tell you about a trip I took from Colorado out to Monterey California for the MotoGP races at Laguna. I took hwy 50 out to Reno and then dropped over the Sierras on hwy 4. Then hung out at the races and rode hwy 1 along the coast for a few days. The trip back was the best route. From Monterey I made my way east through Yosemite and Tioga Pass and stopped near the Nevada/Ca border in Lee Vining for the night. The next morning I had to cross Nevada-in July, so I left Lee Vining early and made my way across the desert averaging probably close to 80mph, which means I had long sprints of 100+ mph. I made it across Nevada in 6 hours and stopped in Cedar City Utah for the night. The next day was a trip across southern Utah from Bryce through Escalante and Blanding. This was a great route along hwy 12,24,95. I stopped in Montecello Utah for the night. The Colorado border was just a quick 2 hour sprint the next morning and I went through Mesa Verde for a couple hours before heading over Wolf Creek Pass on hwy 160 to South Fork Colorado. Then I headed north on hwy 149 through Creede To Lake City and camped near Lake San Cristobal. Home was just 4 hours away from there so I did some fishing and cruised home later in the afternoon.

It was an epic trip and a great route-highly recommended.

Near Durango and Mesa Verde

Million Dollar Highway hwy 550

Yeah, you're right. I had always thought the free camping thing applied to NP's as well as NF's, but I just recently found out that wasn't the case.

Could you PM me your travel route (if you still know it)? I wouldn't be following it closely, but there may be sections that I could easily incorporate into the trip. That picture further confirms that HW 550 will absolutely be in the trip. Beautiful country does something for me that I can't quite describe. It isn't just "ooh, pretty scenery."

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:41 PM

If I get time I can map it for ya, but the general route is above. On the way out I just wanted to get into Reno, rest up and plan a route over the Sierras. On the way back I just headed from Monterey to Yosemite and tried to avoid major metro areas. I always picked my route by how remote and squiggly the lines on the map are. Then I would just plan a next destination and break it into nice chunks and hit the road.

Once I left Lee Vining and headed across Nevada I took hwy 6 into Tonopah and then the "extraterrestrial highway" 375 to 93 into Caliente. There is absolutly nothing out there. In fact at one point I stopped my bike in the middle of the road and turned it off. There was NO sound. No birds, no animals, no engines, no sound what so ever. It was freaky.

Last edited by Hotwheels; 01-09-2009 at 09:54 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:36 AM
All right meow...

https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/pic...trip-pics.html

I met Mr. Gravity, Mr. Momentum and Mr. Small Trees. These guys are assholes. If you can, don't do lunch with them. But if you do, you'll wish you had the gang with you.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Quiet Old Guy

You guys have already listed one of my favorites. Actually, anywhere around the Continental divide in CO or WY are absolutely wonderful roads. NM is not bad either.

Along the southern WY border.

Eastern Utah, north of the 4 corners area.

Along the northern CO border north of Rocky Mountain Natl park.

Last edited by Keith B; 01-12-2009 at 09:37 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 PM
18 Hours to Daytona

I'm a big advocate of West Texas. Here's the 'River Road' RM 170 that runs between Lajitas and Presidio.

Note the dramatic scenery and the tight, disappearing curves. The first picture has a 20 mph caution sign with two right angle turns on it. The second pic announces "HILL." As if the scenery behind it didn't give that one away!

Big Bend has some awesome dual sport roads as well. It's a different kind of desert riding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc_0067.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	180286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc_0074.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	180287  

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:22 PM
18 Hours to Daytona

How 'bout RM 337 between Vanderpool and Medina, Texas? Virtually all the RM / FM roads in this area are scenic, twisty or both. I don't have a lot of pictures of the roads themselves... Usually because I'm too busy riding them!

Best roads-cimg0906.jpg Best roads-cimg1335.jpg

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 11:22 AM

I gotta make it to Big Bend area sometime
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
It wasn't me

West Texas? According to google maps that's straight south, like practically Mexico. Those look like awesome roads, but that will have to be for another time I think.

medina, texas - Google Maps

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 04:31 AM
18 Hours to Daytona

Strange...

I was referring to this Medina:

16 and 337 medina texas - Google Maps

Not very close to Mexico at all. Hill country. I'm a bit baffled myself.

Last edited by texBahn; 01-18-2009 at 04:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in