Must-have items - Page 4 - Sportbikes.net
Sport-Touring Information on Sport Touring throughout the world. Tank bags, Gear, saddle bags, Camp sites. Share your information here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 PM
SBN Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Rain gear, tire repair, fuses, cell phone, backup key, emergency contact/medical information accessible if unconscious.

electric repair/diagnoses, tools to remove wheel/fairing

heating layers, cooling layers, faceshield cleaner, tiedowns

sunblock, visine, water, food, first aid

second glove pair, sandals, swim shorts

emergency brake fluid, gas, bulbs, tape.

Not all must have but they could be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Back Marker

day trip:
saddlebags...leatherman, sunscreen, rain gear, small towel in left pocket to wipe rain off visor if necessary. hand towel, tire gauge, DROID, journal, and... foldin' cash.

Overnighter:
add a change of clothes, shoes, shorts, hoodie, green cleaner for bugs on mask/fairing.

On my To-Get list:
point-shoot digital camera. The droid camera sucks!
mini mag-lite
tire patch kit
tankbag to haul more sh#t
water/wind proof gloves
tinted/mirrored visor

i'm seeing a lot of good ideas here. didn't ever think about taking a spare key along. I'm loving the new sport bags I got from Nelson Riggs. if anyone's in the market for saddlebags, give them a look. awesome customer service and lifetime warranty on their stuff.
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Superbike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skokievtr View Post
I'm at an advantage because I have a Sargent saddle and a hard, QD rear trunk case mounted to a modified Ventura rack (but using the Ventura L-brackets). Consequently, I carry all sorts of stuff (see below) that I never hopefully will need, which if I did not drag along would of course immediately would require for a roadside fix (Boy Scout / SEAL Team 1 philosophy). I have used my tire plug kit and Co2 filler on a friend’s RC51 but otherwise never have touched it (knock on plastic - NOP). The added weight of all the stuff I carry in addition to the OEM tool kit possibly exceeds 10 pounds! Of course I also always carry my cell phone, Cobra RD & have a Garmin Nuvi 765T w/BT & MP3 player (feeds stereo BT ear buds with navigation & tunes; don’t bother with connecting to cell).

In the Sargent saddle tool tube and a zipper leatherette bag in the trunk plus stashed in the trunk and under the saddle: OEM Tool Kit, Vice-grips, Super Leatherman, duct tape, Super Silicone (adhesiveless) tape, lighter-meltable hot glue, electrical tape and wire, zip-ties, a small tow rope, on long trips mc jumper cables, a travel battery charger and one or two 1.23 qt. camping stove "spare" gas bottle, 2 small LED flashlights (1 of which you can hold in your mouth while working) and when camping also carry a LED/Halogen headlamp, extra headlight, stop/tail & turn signal bulbs, an emergency "space" blanket, Areostitch's sport touring First Aid kit, more bandages and antibacterial ointment, alcohol wipes, a razor blade/holder, spare ear plugs, a side stand plate with remind-me-to-take-it lanyard and handlebar hook, tire plug kit, Co2 filler with at least 10 cartridges, screwdrivers, special wrenches, ratchet & sockets, a mini-adjustable wrench (very handy) and 7" adjustable wrench, clear 3/8" ID hose (for gas siphoning), tweezers and scissors, tire gauge, Motrin, lighter, pen, pencil and note pad, Magicmarker, a mini-RS electric multi-tester, spare fuses, sunscreen and bug repellent, a small microfiber towel, a faces shield cleaning kit plus a small bottle of Rain-X, water bottle, a clear face shield in a thin helmet bag (I wear a dark tint during the day), sunglasses, maps, rain/cold weather gloves back-of-the-hand squeegee, a windproof wind triangle, spare , head sweat, a windproof and rain resistant PB bicycle illumiNITE jacket, crimp connectors & splices, adjustable bungie cords, a disk lock, lightsticks, elastic hair ties & rubber bands, caution tape, a baseball hat, Totes rubber over boots, an 3/16" diameter X 24" vinyl covered lock cable and a separate helmet cable with built-in lock, on long trips an electric tire pump I made from the guts of a C-H unit plus a dual-cigarette plug outlet (that also can be used with my cell phone car charger) that plugs into the coaxial receptor that I plug my Battery Tender into, mini-bungies, more zip-ties, the remote for my alarm, a disk lock with caution tape taped to it (a bright reminder to remove b4 flight), spare keys, extra batteries, gum and lozenges, cigars, hand & foot warmer packets, eye drops, spare eye glasses & sun glasses, my insurance card & DOT excerpt on how headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states (I have needed it at least once), plumber's epoxy, spare gloves sometimes for hot or colder weather, and other stuff I'd have to check to see I forgot about. Everything is organized in zip-lock freezer bags (plus spare bags) and I have a small LED light velcro'd to my full face helmets for map reading, and on my helmets my blood type, "no med allergies" and "do not remove helmet" stickers I made. I have a Scott Oiler, so chain lube is not required (except I also bring a refill bottle & pint of engine oil plus "2nd side stand" in made that lifts the rear tire for long trips), Camel Back, tank bag, etc.
In 60,000 miles on my VTR I've never had to do a road-side repair of my bike... (KOP)
holy jeebus that's alot of stuff!

My avatar... haha get it, like Ninja Turtle! OR!!! or... like my (sold) Ninja ZX-6R... either way:)

post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Umbrella Girl

Garage
Well, I have to ask here, as I've never done a "long" trip before. I'm heading to the Gap the end of the month, riding all the way there (weather permitting). I've been reading this post in particular over and over trying to put a list together of what is absolutely necessary (stuff like tool kit, cell, map, rain gear, etc.) and what is secondary (GPS, radar detector, cold weather gear <it's July>, etc.) Here's the problem. I'm doing this ride on a 1979 CB750K with limited storage space and I need to pack clothes for 3 days, plus essentials for any road trip.

My question is this. Would it be possible to pack enough necessities in a backpack/hiking bag for a 3 day trip and would this be comfortable to carry for 500 miles? I have a very nice hiking bag (roughly 60L with compression straps and a topper bag) and it fits me like a glove, so I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be too much of a wind hinderance. It'll be mainly 2/4 lane state roads with about 130 miles of highway in between. I'd just like some input from those who have done long trips with this type of packing as opposed to tank bags and tail bags and the like.

74 Yamaha TX500A basket case "Gwendolyn"
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 4,463 Times in 2,435 Posts
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Windex is very bad for your visor, it weakens it

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
I always bring Windex wipes to clean the bugs off my visor. They come in a flat pack that fits nicely in the trunk.
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 02:44 PM
I knocked up Snookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee750 View Post
Well, I have to ask here, as I've never done a "long" trip before. I'm heading to the Gap the end of the month, riding all the way there (weather permitting). I've been reading this post in particular over and over trying to put a list together of what is absolutely necessary (stuff like tool kit, cell, map, rain gear, etc.) and what is secondary (GPS, radar detector, cold weather gear <it's July>, etc.) Here's the problem. I'm doing this ride on a 1979 CB750K with limited storage space and I need to pack clothes for 3 days, plus essentials for any road trip.

My question is this. Would it be possible to pack enough necessities in a backpack/hiking bag for a 3 day trip and would this be comfortable to carry for 500 miles? I have a very nice hiking bag (roughly 60L with compression straps and a topper bag) and it fits me like a glove, so I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be too much of a wind hinderance. It'll be mainly 2/4 lane state roads with about 130 miles of highway in between. I'd just like some input from those who have done long trips with this type of packing as opposed to tank bags and tail bags and the like.
You can do it but it's not comfortable. There will be additional strain on your back, neck, shoulders, and to a certain degree, your lower back. I've done 100 miles trips with backpacks lightly loaded in my younger days and I always felt it.

"...I am a motorcycle-Samurai, and I have beat my Demons." -YK

"This will not increase my ability to mate"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Official Associate Member of the G-town Squid Squad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorcycles: "It's just really, really cool. You guys, seriously. They make this noise that's like BRAAMM and they go superfast..."
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee750 View Post

It can be done but even a light backpack will get heavy after a while. I would buy a dry sack and stuff it all in there and use a cargo net to lash it to the tail.
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Club Racer

I used to commute 100 miles with a back pack, it wasnt bad but much better if you can strap it to the back. If your not going 2 up I would put all my stuff in a duffel bag and strap it to the rear seat with a cargo net.

Life begins at 40 but doesn't get real exciting 'til about 120...
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Umbrella Girl

Garage
The only problem I have is my tail section has no rear seat or luggage rack of any kind. It's a cafe seat with a half round rear section with no tie downs of any kind. I'm starting to think I need to put some tie downs on the back and invest in a spider web strap.

74 Yamaha TX500A basket case "Gwendolyn"
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Umbrella Girl

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Ape Nutz View Post
^^ lol

I think a cool (but probably not important) thing to bring on rides would be a camera. That way you can take awesome photos of your day ride and post them on this forum

I know I've passed a lot of kodak moments and wished I had a camera. With the digital age here in full swing, you can have them and publish them the minute you get home.
This day and age you have at all times one with you (or should) it's part of your cell phone. Also if you have like me a smartphone it has a gps so no maps or extras needed
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 AM
SBN Rookie

Not totally obvious stuff...Advil for aches and pains and a Frisbee one with a deeper lip (its my bowl, plate, dish washing tub, small item holder when needed, food prep plate and a million other things).
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 08:52 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A camera or video-camera.

Visit my channel to see my latest videos

post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4sSprintST View Post
Windex is very bad for your visor, it weakens it
most glass cleaners say not to use on clear plastic.

"People who ride fast bikes aren't adrenaline junkeys - they are dopamine fiends. I am hopelessly, desperately addicted to speed, and make no apologies for it. My name is (_______) and i am a speedophile." Martin Fitz-Gibbons - BIKE magazine

"Then we have “anyways,” a colloquial corruption of “anyway.” It’s universally considered nonstandard and should be avoided altogether. It might help to remember that “anyway” is an adverb, and adverbs can’t be plural. "
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:17 PM
SBN Newb

Being a woman.. And having a sport loaded with the usual on my saddle bags there is a small addition I add. A gallon ziplock with dry shampoo spray can (irreplaceable after sweating my hair to my head in the helmet), soap sheets (found in the camping section), speed stick (hopeless pun), travel brush/mirror combo, disposable tooth brushes, chap stick, and basic cold/flu, pain, tummy meds. This little bag makes me a biker who still looks, smells and feels like a lady when I arrive. Even if all i have is it and a truck stop rest room.

Autumn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in